simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

So what are they?  Celts? Asians? Africans? Americans? 

We have our own dream and our own task.  We are with Europe, but not of it.  We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.  If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.

Winston Churchill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Parley said:

British people have always distinguished themselves from contintental Europeans. 

Maybe due to the different languages the Europeans all speak.

By British do you mean English?

Scotland has a rich history and connection to European partners and the Brexit vote emphasised that Scottish people view themselves strongly as European. Historically this has been Irish/French connections but more recently there is an affinity for some Nordic countries and their shared world view/political leanings.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

25 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Scotland has a rich history and connection to European partners and the Brexit vote emphasised that Scottish people view themselves strongly as European. Historically this has been Irish/French connections but more recently there is an affinity for some Nordic countries and their shared world view/political leanings.

I did hear bonnie prince Charles could only speak French?

• Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

8 hours ago, Parley said:

British people have always distinguished themselves from contintental Europeans. 

🤔......I just thought it was cus we were better than them🇬🇧......😂

Edited by kungfustu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Congratulations 1

6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I never considered myself European  -  probably because I spent most of my time in the UK before it joined the EU.

Historically Scotland has always had a connection with France  -  "The Auld Alliance".  In 1995 celebrations were held in both countries marking the 700th anniversary of the beginning of the alliance.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parley said:

British people have always distinguished themselves from continental Europeans. 

No,  it was a simple matter of geography - that rather large moat between them.  Just like we Tasmanians distinguish ourselves from mainland  Australians.  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skani said:

No,  it was a simple matter of geography - that rather large moat between them.  Just like we Tasmanians distinguish ourselves from mainland  Australians.  😉

The distance between Dover and Calais is 33km.  The distance between Melbourne and Devonport is 447km.  A very big moat.  😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

By English do you mean provincial English?

London has a rich history and connection to European partners and the Brexit vote emphasised that Londoners view themselves strongly as European.

Why is it that Scotland always acts like it's the only region of the UK that voted Remain?

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

14 hours ago, newjez said:

True.  Mary Queen of Scots spoke French as her first language although she also spoke Scots.  She had very little English.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Why is it that Scotland always acts like it's the only region of the UK that voted Remain?

Scots don't think of Scotland as a region, they think of it as a country.  Therefore they compare one country (Scotland) to another country (England).  The whole of Scotland voted remain whereas most of England didn't.  

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Scots don't think of Scotland as a region, they think of it as a country.  Therefore they compare one country (Scotland) to another country (England).  The whole of Scotland voted remain whereas most of England didn't.  

Rubbish!  38% of the 62% who voted - voted leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

The distance between Dover and Calais is 33km.  The distance between Melbourne and Devonport is 447km.  A very big moat.  😉

Of course. (Just recalling the Tas. Premier's words in March:  "We have a moat and we're not afraid to use it").  But what I meant is body of water gives a psychological sense of separation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newjez said:

Ah yes, Bonnie Prince Charlie or to give him his full name  -  Charles Edward Louis John Casimir Sylvester Severino Maria Stuart.  😄  Born in Rome and died in Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Of course. (Just recalling the Tas. Premier's words in March:  "We have a moat and we're not afraid to use it").  But what I meant is body of water gives a psychological sense of separation. 

The bigger the "moat" the better as far as I'm concerned.  😉

I meant that England is MUCH closer to France (Europe) than Tasmania is to mainland Australia even though we are all the same country.

Edited by Toots

22 minutes ago, Toots said:

The bigger the "moat" the better as far as I'm concerned.  😉

I meant that England is MUCH closer to France (Europe) than Tasmania is to mainland Australia even though we are all the same country.

But we speak the same language. Go to France and ask the French if they see themselves as European. They'll say they're French.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.9addd13af3af7ae9681a4caac3258d21.png

they're just a bunch of liars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

9 hours ago, Ken said:

By English do you mean provincial English?

London has a rich history and connection to European partners and the Brexit vote emphasised that Londoners view themselves strongly as European.

Indeed.

As marissa commented, Scotland is a country that was one of two signatories to the treaty of union. Scotland continues to have its own legal system, health service and parliament, which distinguishes it from a ‘region’ or city in England.

I do sympathise with Londoners and recognise their vote and do not intend this response to sound otherwise. But despite its massive size, population and economic output, it is a different debate than one around the vote of a country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:evilface_frowning_s

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

But we speak the same language

The Welsh don't.

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Go to France and ask the French if they see themselves as European. They'll say they're French

I think the French would identify as European and French.

39 minutes ago, newjez said:

I think the French would identify as European and French.

some will - some won't.

9 minutes ago, simmo said:

some will - some won't.

It's not really an EU thing. More of a location thing.

On 22/09/2020 at 10:42, simmo said:

We have our own dream and our own task.  We are with Europe, but not of it.  We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.  If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.

Winston Churchill.

Yes, but Churchill was around at the time of the Battle of Jutland when Beatty's ambition led to the loss of 2 Dreadnoughts so no surprise there.

We have not chosen the open sea, we have chosen a giant floating aircraft hangar which will hamstring us for the next 10 years and tie us irrevocably to the US in the same way Trident has.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, simmo said:

Rubbish!  38% of the 62% who voted - voted leave.

So! 62% of the 62 % who voted, voted remain. Work it out, it's a bigger number than 38% of 62 %

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

image.thumb.png.9addd13af3af7ae9681a4caac3258d21.png

they're just a bunch of liars

And that is why the brexit mob keep up with these howls about how it's all going to be a success, when it's obvious for all to see that they have been lied to comprehensively.  

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

40 minutes ago, simmo said:

some will - some won't.

But one thing is that many French people and all French State functions support the EU and the French state and welcome the EU as a unifying body which safeguards them from the terrible ravages of at least 3 major wars fought on their soil and which no western European  country will risk happening again.

• Like 1