simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

20 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

So this is the Tory version of democracy

The brexit mob kept on telling the remainers to get over themselves.

well we now see the Tories commitment to the ethical exercise of true democracy

Just tear up anything you don't like.

Democracy my a**e, authoritarian populist.

Boris was told the agreement would split the Union and he signed it because he was too idle and stupid and he just didn't care about the country's reputation, he only cares about staying in power

In simple terms for you.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_sep_eu_weaponising_peace

• Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 12:28, s713 said:

But ultimately, this deal largely mirrors the agreement which already exists between the EU and Japan.

Except we will no longer be making Japanese cars in the UK.  We'll be importing them tariff free instead.

Superb negotiating. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

4 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Except we will no longer be making Japanese cars in the UK.  We'll be importing them tariff free instead.

Superb negotiating. 

Well, look on the bright side. It'll save thousands of auto-workers in the UK having to go to so much effort to build cars. They'll be able to put their feet up instead!

• Like 2

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

Well, look on the bright side. It'll save thousands of auto-workers in the UK having to go to so much effort to build cars. They'll be able to put their feet up instead!

Great point.  They can sit back and bask in the glory of all that "winning"

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

40 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Superb negotiating. 

On what facts do you make such a statement or just pure conjecture on your part ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Seriously simmo, of all the people, I think those in favour of brexit and the Tory party are the least likely to care about Ireland and northern Ireland.

Sure, if it's in the EU interest, I'm guessing they will care an awful lot about Ireland. Why wouldn't they?

But when you compare them with the contempt that has been shown to Ireland and northern Ireland by the Tory party and those in favour of brexit, then I would give it a rest if I was you.

Linking hard right fact checking websites isn't going to win your argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Less covid transmission too.

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Great point.  They can sit back and bask in the glory of all that "winning"

If we win much more we'll be top of the third world.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

On what facts do you make such a statement or just pure conjecture on your part ? 

Ok. If Japan has no tariffs with the EU. And the UK has no tariffs with the Japan. And the UK has 10% tariffs with the EU.

Do you really think we are going to send our cars to the EU with a ten percent tariff? Or send them to the EU via Japan?

Show us a model that works, and doesn't result in the destruction of the UK car industry, because I can't see it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

We can start with Honda closing their Swindon plant with the loss of 3500 jobs and multiples of that throughout the supply chain.

Next we have Toyota who have stated that if we exit without a deal they will leave the country as soon as 2023

Then Nissan who reversed all of their UK investment plans after the vote and are now warning that sunderland plant is unsustainable under a no-deal Brexit.

Do you really not know this?  

We can then move on to literally (and yes I use that in the proper sense of the word) every other manufacturer with a base or significant presence here warning that their businesses will be unsustainable in a no-deal brexit due to them having businesses with highly complex, tightly integrated supply chains stretching across Europe and production relying on ‘just-in-time’ delivery.

All of them are warning of huge losses due to the tarrifs that will be imposed.  I live in Jaguar Land Rover country and it feels like half the people I know work there.  A £500m tarrif bill is catastrophic to that business and thus to the people who will lose their jobs as the company fights to remain operational.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Yep, instead they can go on UB and produce 6 applications a day for non existent jobs or get sanctioned.

Take back control that's what I say and get to bellow Land of Hope And Glory, and Rule Brittania at the top of our covid voices, that'll show 'em

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Sturgeon's nightmare! Orkney to follow Shetland in demanding independence from Scotland

NICOLA Sturgeon now faces Orkney demands to secede after civic bosses admitted they would "seek self-determination in the event of any future constitutional change".

Are you lining up a new career on the comedy club  circuit?

44 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

We can start with Honda closing their Swindon plant with the loss of 3500 jobs and multiples of that throughout the supply chain.

Next we have Toyota who have stated that if we exit without a deal they will leave the country as soon as 2023

Then Nissan who reversed all of their UK investment plans after the vote and are now warning that sunderland plant is unsustainable under a no-deal Brexit.

We can then move on to literally (and yes I use that in the proper sense of the word) every other manufacturer with a base or significant presence here warning that their businesses will be unsustainable in a no-deal brexit due to them having businesses with highly complex, tightly integrated supply chains stretching across Europe and production relying on ‘just-in-time’ delivery.

All of them are warning of huge losses due to the tarrifs that will be imposed.  I live in Jaguar Land Rover country and it feels like half the people I know work there.  A £500m tarrif bill is catastrophic to that business and thus to the people who will lose their jobs as the company fights to remain operational.

KEY POINTS

CEO Takahiro Hachigo said in a press conference Tuesday the decision was part of a global restructuring plan. Hachigo also said that Honda would continue to base its European headquarters in the U.K.

Meanwhile, another official from Honda told BBC radio on Tuesday that the closure was not Brexit-related, according to Reuters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/19/honda-confirms-uk-factory-closure-but-says-its-not-brexit-related.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Yes, but, you are forgetting something.

After the pound has crashed and our stock have been decimated, corporate raiders will come and strip assets and intellectual property of any good bits left from the ashes.

Then they will point to this and shout, 'hey, it's not all gloom and doom, look at all this investment in the UK'.

Seriously, I really don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand what damage a bad brexit will cause. Do they really need to see the smoldering ruins of UK industry before the penny drops?

24 minutes ago, simmo said:

KEY POINTS

CEO Takahiro Hachigo said in a press conference Tuesday the decision was part of a global restructuring plan. Hachigo also said that Honda would continue to base its European headquarters in the U.K.

Meanwhile, another official from Honda told BBC radio on Tuesday that the closure was not Brexit-related, according to Reuters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/19/honda-confirms-uk-factory-closure-but-says-its-not-brexit-related.html

You missed a bit.

In an emailed statement to CNBC, a spokesperson for Honda said the challenges due to uncertainties around Brexit remain.

"We still continue to see challenges in the future relating to Brexit. As we have previously mentioned, our desired outcome is frictionless trade between the UK and the EU, access to the right talent and regulatory alignment."

The Swindon factory builds the Honda Civic five-door hatchback and the CR-V crossover for sale in Europe and the U.S.

Honda's Hachigo said Tuesday that the company is not considering possibility of leaving the European market. However, it plans to export electric vehicles made in Japan. China to European markets

48 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Are you lining up a new career on the comedy club  circuit?

No, why?

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Seriously simmo, of all the people, I think those in favour of brexit and the Tory party are the least likely to care about Ireland and northern Ireland.

Sure, if it's in the EU interest, I'm guessing they will care an awful lot about Ireland. Why wouldn't they?

But when you compare them with the contempt that has been shown to Ireland and northern Ireland by the Tory party and those in favour of brexit, then I would give it a rest if I was you.

Linking hard right fact checking websites isn't going to win your argument.

More opinions and the"world according to Jerry".  You live in a dream world.

Edited by simmo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, simmo said:

KEY POINTS

Did you notice European headquarters, not factory.

Do you think anyone is going to blame the Govts ineptitude, give us break.

Doesn't really matter what excuse they make they will be gone.

Ask yourself why close a successful factory with cheap labour. Why?

The excuses are already being made ready for the loss of face, Nige is doubling the boats!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, simmo said:

More opinions and the"world according to Jerry".  You live in a dream world.

No I live in the real world mate, not some right wing conspiracy.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, newjez said:

Seriously, I really don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand what damage a bad brexit will cause. Do they really need to see the smoldering ruins of UK industry before the penny drops?

The whole thing became supremely ugly after a self serving media stylized the leave and remain points of view as Us vs Them.  An equally self serving and ambitious set of politicians  latched onto that and blatantly lied and deceived to obtain the support of an electorate to further their personal ambitions.

It's not at all easy for anyone who has taken a side to accept that their side was wrong, even when they have been duped by those they trusted.  I can certainly understand that.  But yes, it's going to be years and years and years of pain, and as always, it will be those on the lower half of the socio-economic ladder that will suffer the most.  I despise Cummings, Boris and Farage et al for what they have done to our country and our fellow Brits in the pursuit of lining their own pockets.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simmo said:

KEY POINTS

Oh really!   Listen I've got a fantastic bridge I can sell you, real cheap too....

I mean the CEO is hardly going to say anything that might offend half the customer base of a 65 million person market is he!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go, it'll be back to the 40000 bankers moving to Europe again soon 🤣

• Like 2

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

21 hours ago, simmo said:

Sturgeon's nightmare! Orkney to follow Shetland in demanding independence from Scotland

NICOLA Sturgeon now faces Orkney demands to secede after civic bosses admitted they would "seek self-determination in the event of any future constitutional change".

This is a misrepresentation of the facts. The local council has voted to explore self-determination, believing (rightly) that devolution should not end with a transfer of powers from London to Edinburgh. The vote had cross-party support (including from the SNP) and is a forerunner to debates across Scotland toward decentralisation of government and increasing transfer of powers to local councils. The Scottish Government has been in talks with Shetland since 2013, with a view to transition of additional powers, but it only makes the headlines in a contorted form when Scottish independence is polling very high, like it is now. This is largely due to misunderstanding in a london-centric media as to what drives the independence debate - where the South East still thinks its based on oil (circa 1970's thinking), whereas on the ground it is more about direction of political thought (left vs right tendecies, Pro vs anti EU tendencies etc).

Interestingly, those who oppose Scottish independence the most, seem to advocate the loudest for Shetland independence, cant imagine why that would be? Even if the headline was accurate, I would fully support Shetland seeking independence if the locals wished it so, thats democracy. It would take a small 12 mile stretch of Scottish water with it which would minimally impact Scottish fishing and oil activities. In 20 years the oil will be irrelevant - the Scottish Government has been investing heavily in renewables over the last decade and Scotland has a food, water and energy surplus (which people tend to want to buy), where the rest of the UK has a food, energy and water deficit.

A closely related topic (linked to the surge in support for independence) is the BBC's decision to stop showing the daily covid briefings from Scotlands First Minister and depriving older people of the most accurate and up to date informaiton by doing so. It seems TV exposure has been good for good for Ms Sturgeon/the SNP and the conservatives lobbied to prevent further exposure given consistent opinion polls showing a complete reversal in Yes/No voting intentions (from 45%/55% in 2014, to 55%/45% now). 

As you like to say, DYOR Simmo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:evilface_frowning_s

On 12/09/2020 at 15:47, Parley said:

That is because WA has locked itself away from the rest of the world and the rest of Australia just about.

I'm talking about "up North" in the UK Parley, where newjez is from. In WA we may as well be on a different planet. It's like covid never came.

If you're not worried about getting out of the state and not bothered about seeing people get in it's a splendid place to be. Restaurants, pubs, nightclubs packed, I think everyone realises how lucky we are, feels like we dodged a bullet and all the money people saved on their cancelled holidays they are spending it locally.

Summers coming too, 27 deg today, 100km bike ride this morning, game of golf tomorrow, lifes good.

On 12/09/2020 at 18:26, newjez said:

We are still in the transition period Paul. Everything is as it was. The fun is about to start. It could even start next week. If the withdrawal agreement is void, then there is no transition period, and we are straight into hard brexit. I don't think that will happen. But maybe the EU will think we need a lesson in humility.

Mate, the tradies I know have been more affected by Covid than they will by brexit. Things don't stop breaking and there's always someone wanting an extension, new kitchen, new light fittings. God knows where the money comes from, maybe they've all paid their mortgages off up North mate, but there will be work for tradies after brexit and after covid.