register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The inspectors can be blamed for not doing their job properly - which is to keep the builders and subbies honest.  

The shameful thing in Australia is that government/local authorities don't have a clerk of works any more.  Inspections of building works were also privatised years ago, and private certifiers do all the inspecting now.  Trouble is, it's the builder, not the local authority, who has to hire and pay the certifier.   So guess where the certifier's loyalty lies?   if they give a bad report then builders won't hire them for the next job, so it's in their interest to let shoddy workmanship through.   That's why we have so many shoddy buildings in Australia.

Laws changed 2 years ago in NSW the client has choice of Certifier , you can refuse to have the builders choice , it’s the client who pays for Certifier services not the builder . 

The conversation was about building in uk where there are far more stringent checks throughout the process than here in Australia 

you are correct in saying the Certifier is not going to bite the hand that feeds him , the whole process here in Australia is a bit of a joke imho 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Laws changed 2 years ago in NSW the client has choice of Certifier , you can refuse to have the builders choice , it’s the client who pays for Certifier services not the builder . 

That's fine if it's a house but if it's an apartment block, the client is the developer and he doesn't give a rats either.   It is a joke as you say.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's fine if it's a house but if it's an apartment block, the client is the developer and he doesn't give a rats either.   It is a joke as you say.

Anything over 3 story and it becomes           “ commercial building “not residential so you don’t need a builders licence! 
Different requirements all together!

you have more protection buying a $2 burger in Australia than spending a million build a home 

Edited by Rallyman

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The inspectors can be blamed for not doing their job properly - which is to keep the builders and subbies honest.  

The shameful thing in Australia is that government/local authorities don't have a clerk of works any more.  Inspections of building works were also privatised years ago, and private certifiers do all the inspecting now.  Trouble is, it's the builder, not the local authority, who has to hire and pay the certifier.   So guess where the certifier's loyalty lies?   if they give a bad report then builders won't hire them for the next job, so it's in their interest to let shoddy workmanship through.   That's why we have so many shoddy buildings in Australia.

I've got one on a big job now, "Independent Reviewer".  We pay 50/50 with the builder, but he's a lazy blighter and no clerk-of-works  I had to tell him to get his camera out and start photographing because he was just walking round with his hands in his pockets, ignoring everything.  They want to sign off at the end, on paperwork alone.  They rely on consultants to provide the paperwork so are in effect, a stooge when it all turns to crap and there's nobody to shoulder the responsibility. 

Troubling thing is, the builder is an England-based multi-national and they are worse than useless, really embarrassing. Bunch of lazy feckin cockneys....18 months late and they've lost about 20 million so far, no sense of pride in their work and just sleepwalking.

Housebuilding is another matter, I'd never do a newbuild in Australia, too risky and too incompetent.

• Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

We did a new build down at the beach 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. The site boss was a Saffa and wouldn’t let his workers in the house unless they took their shoes off when they were putting the floors down. A couple of months after completion the boss came round and asked if there were any problems and there was just one of the doors which stuck a bit. He fixed it immediately. Six months later another contact but no faults at all this time. This house was an ‘ off the shelf ‘ home with a couple of extra windows and a large decking added.

• Like 1

BUSINESS CONFIDENCE BOOMS AS THREAT OF CORBYN DIES

The CBI’s rolling survey of British business confidence in the UK has seen optimism in British factories hit its highest level since 2014; leaping from -44 in October to +23 in January. Prizes for guessing what event in between may have triggered the leap…

Screenshot-2020-01-22-at-15.47.39.png?re

The leap – coming only a week before Britain finally Brexits – is confirmation that growth is settling into top gear since the pre-Election uncertainty was ended, and once again undermines the arguments of remainers with the biggest quarterly swing since records began in 1958. The Boris bounce in action proving the gloomsters and doomsters wrong…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, simmo said:
BUSINESS CONFIDENCE BOOMS AS THREAT OF CORBYN DIES

The CBI’s rolling survey of British business confidence in the UK has seen optimism in British factories hit its highest level since 2014; leaping from -44 in October to +23 in January. Prizes for guessing what event in between may have triggered the leap…

Screenshot-2020-01-22-at-15.47.39.png?re

The leap – coming only a week before Britain finally Brexits – is confirmation that growth is settling into top gear since the pre-Election uncertainty was ended, and once again undermines the arguments of remainers with the biggest quarterly swing since records began in 1958. The Boris bounce in action proving the gloomsters and doomsters wrong…

I think the key phrase there is the end of pre-election uncertainty. It will be interesting to see how the next few months play out, as very little will change during the transition period due to the UK remaining in the customs union and single market.

Mid-late 2020 a picture should start to emerge regarding trade negotiations with the EU, and likely impact (or otherwise) on the economy moving forwards. 

I wonder how/if internal UK divisions may feature in the politics of trade negotiations. 

Edited to add - it's a fascinating period of time for anyone with an interest in politics.

Edited by MacGyver

:evilface_frowning_s

Oh but worker's rights! Bla bla bla....

• Thanks 1

meanwhile in east sussex.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, simmo said:

meanwhile in east sussex.

Young ? 
must be missing something here 😂

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Young ? 
must be missing something here 😂

It's a joke.

• Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Brexit BOOM: Boris Johnson vows to attract ‘world’s most talented minds’ in new visa push

BORIS JOHNSON today sets the country on its path to a bright Brexit future with new visa rules to attract the world's top talent. The Prime Minister declared Britain is open to gifted scientists and mathematicians and is committed to leading the way in groundbreaking research.

It comes as Home Secretary Priti Patel told businesses they have been too reliant on low-skilled cheap labour from the EU and must now start to invest in training British workers. A fast-track “global talent” visa will launch on February 20 that will speed up and simplify entry to the UK for skilled researchers. Mr Johnson said: “The UK has a proud history of scientific discovery, but to lead the field and face the challenges of the future we need to continue to invest in talent and cutting edge research.

express.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, simmo said:

Brexit BOOM: Boris Johnson vows to attract ‘world’s most talented minds’ in new visa push

BORIS JOHNSON today sets the country on its path to a bright Brexit future with new visa rules to attract the world's top talent. The Prime Minister declared Britain is open to gifted scientists and mathematicians and is committed to leading the way in groundbreaking research.

It comes as Home Secretary Priti Patel told businesses they have been too reliant on low-skilled cheap labour from the EU and must now start to invest in training British workers. A fast-track “global talent” visa will launch on February 20 that will speed up and simplify entry to the UK for skilled researchers. Mr Johnson said: “The UK has a proud history of scientific discovery, but to lead the field and face the challenges of the future we need to continue to invest in talent and cutting edge research.

express.

He is copying the Australian system.

38 minutes ago, simmo said:

Priti Patel told businesses they have been too reliant on low-skilled cheap labour from the EU and must now start to invest in training British workers.

The most important thing about that is she wants to replace it with cheap UK labour. You can see what's coming, don't expect Aussie wages.

•  

On 22/01/2020 at 21:05, Slean Wolfhead said:

Housebuilding is another matter, I'd never do a newbuild in Australia, too risky and too incompetent.

If you are then yes stay in the UK

1 minute ago, Parley said:

If you are then yes stay in the UK

I've been here for 8 years working in construction management Parley, I know what I'm looking at.  One that's finished and is at least 3 years old, but nothing off plan. Especially in ACT, too many fly by night companies that liquidate overnight.

• Haha 3

•  

Just a moment aren't the Tories supposed to be the party of sound finance.

Another 46mill wasted on vanity projects

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/28/get-ready-for-brexit-campaign-had-little-effect-says-watchdog

Wait for HS2, another Osborne special

The contractors must be like the proverbial dog with two appendages. 

On 27/01/2020 at 06:38, Slean Wolfhead said:

I've been here for 8 years working in construction management Parley, I know what I'm looking at.  One that's finished and is at least 3 years old, but nothing off plan. Especially in ACT, too many fly by night companies that liquidate overnight.

8 years....you are still an apprentice my friend.....wet behind the ears.....go an get me a pack of sky hooks will you.....theres a good chap......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

8 years....you are still an apprentice my friend.....wet behind the ears.....go an get me a pack of sky hooks will you.....theres a good chap......

and a left handed hammer

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

29 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

And what's the biggest job you've run.? 

Is it necessary to put everyone else down just to boost yourself.

It really is wearing and adds nothing to the discussion, or is that the intention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And what's the biggest job you've run.? 

Is it necessary to put everyone else down just to boost yourself.

It really is wearing and adds nothing to the discussion, or is that the intention.

I find his posts relevant, the boring ones are the ones who just moan about other posts without any intelligent interaction.

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..