You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

And this has something to do with uk leaving the EU ? Sorry you have lost me with this post 

To assist you in being less lost here you go- it was a response to your post to me on assumptions about the Commonwealth as it pertains to Brexit. Makes me wonder why your post on assumptions to me, was on the Brexit thread really.

There there. All of us in the naughty corner then (yourself included). Thoughts on the commonwealth and assumptions on a Brexit thread related to it as part of the post Brexit plan will never do. Never mind.

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

To assist you in being less lost here you go- it was a response to your post to me on assumptions about the Commonwealth as it pertains to Brexit. Makes me wonder why your post on assumptions to me, was on the Brexit thread really.

There there. All of us in the naughty corner then (yourself included). Thoughts on the commonwealth and assumptions on a Brexit thread related to it as part of the post Brexit plan will never do. Never mind.

What the heck are you on about I have made no comments on the commonwealth , think you have added 2+2,and come up with 5 

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Good for you. So you’ll be able to see the next recession coming then, and the precariousness of ignoring the alleged doom mongers and kowtowing to the yes men. Which makes me wonder why you are a yes man (in terms of Brexit name calling) yourself?

You know me personally then to say I am a yes man  ? , you have no idea who or what I am about so don’t make personal assumptions about me. 

What the heck are you on about I have made no comments on the commonwealth , think you have added 2+2,and come up with 5 

Didn’t say you had. Go back and read over the posts - if it’s that confusing. Best you refresh your memory yourself.

10 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I haven’t read anyone saying this.  Brexit is likely to place barriers to trade between the EU and the UK, the extent of which we will learn in the coming months.

In the meantime businesses will be setting up contingency arrangements to help mitigate worst-case scenarios.

It should occur to everyone that these will increase the costs to do business.  Large multi-nationals can probably absorb these costs but smaller businesses will find it tougher.

But smaller businesses likely don't export anyway,, and will be freed of a massive burden of EU red tape.

• Haha 1

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

You know me personally then to say I am a yes man  ? , you have no idea who or what I am about so don’t make personal assumptions about me.   

As per my response, I’m referring to the context of the Brexit thread and Brexit name callers (you are with us or against us/want it to fail/are a traitor) of this thread. No personal assumptions at all.

After all you’ve assumed people want it all to fail because caution is exercised, clarity is asked for and the Government is asked to be held to account.

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Plenty have said it maybe in the old thread that was lost , it seemed that some just wanted the uk to fail ?

most pro leavers know it’s not going to be a bed of roses with twists and turns along the way , but it can’t be any worse than what we have expireanced , speaking from somebody who went through 3 ressions.

it’s a new challenge ahead which we need to grasp with both hands and all work together but for some reason this is not the case.

Objectivity is clearly a problem all round.

You clearly see those that many who voted Remain and still think Brexit is a bad idea are in some way wanting the UK to fail or non-patriotic by extension.  Once you view opponents merely as traitors to their country it is easier to dismiss their views.

And how you can now attribute the last recession, or indeed any of the others, on the EU is, frankly, risible.

Frankly, if we wanted the UK to fail we need do no more than leave the Brexit crew in charge for the next few years then come back and say we told you so.  The fact that we don’t should demonstrate that we care a great deal what happens to the UK; we are just not insulated by blind faith and patriotic fervour.

I personally don’t agree with, or have issues with, many of the anti-Brexit posts but I don’t see any of those posting those views as having anything but the UKs best interests at heart.

• Like 4

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

18 minutes ago, amibovered said:

But smaller businesses likely don't export anyway,, and will be freed of a massive burden of EU red tape.

So, if smaller businesses do not export are you advocating leaving the EU in order to help large UK businesses export more outside of Europe?

And if the small businesses do not export what EU red tape are they leaving behind?  And if they do export to Europe and the UK is outside the EU would they not still need to comply with the EU rules/red tape?

Surely small businesses are more likely to export to Europe than further afield just with logistics.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

round.

You clearly see those that many who voted Remain and still think Brexit is a bad idea are in some way wanting the UK to fail or non-patriotic by extension.  Once you view opponents merely as traitors to their country it is easier to dismiss their views.

Re read what I actually posted “ some “ so this is not everyone , the vote was to leave so  it’s in everyone’s best interests to pull together and make it work ,

I never said that a remain voter is a traitor ? , everyone is entitled to their view 

26 minutes ago, ssiri said:

After all you’ve assumed people want it all to fail because caution is exercised, clarity is asked for and the Government is asked to be held to account.

I haven’t assumed anything again re read what I posted I said “ some “ so this is not everyone ,

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Re read what I actually posted “ some “ so this is not everyone , the vote was to leave so  it’s in everyone’s best interests to pull together and make it work ,

I never said that a remain voter is a traitor ? , everyone is entitled to their view 

Leave still means different things though......otherwise we would have left already.

And no strategy can possibly be in everyone’s best interests.

If you mean pull together in that everyone unite behind a single exit strategy (always assuming that strategy is even viable) then this is patently impossible.

You have to consider that some may see relatively little impact by one strategy while some may be ruined by that same strategy.  Still others are expecting major benefits to their lives as they believe that membership of the EU is the root of all the nation’s problems.  Unless Brexit delivers for them in spades they are going to be pissed off too in time.

Britain is divided over this issue and will be for a long time.

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:55, ssiri said:

This assumes amongst other things, that The commonwealth remains mainly as it does now, after HRH leaves this mortal coil.....

Which HRH? Prince Charles? If he predeceases his Mother (which is presumably what you mean if he's going to leave this mortal coil still as HRH) I don't see it making any difference to the commonwealth - might even give it a boost as his son is more popular.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

12 hours ago, ssiri said:

Well so does the commonwealth committee or steering group - as they are asking questions as to who will succeed HRH - and no Prince Charles may not be it. Unlike the Crown, the monarchy is not the head of the commonwealth by writ - it has to be agreed by the commonwealth states as to who it would be/endorsed by them. The composition of the commonwealth club has changed since HRH was endorsed in her early 20s. So yes, they are assuming it’s not all smooth sailing and that some succession planning and work is required.

At least they have their act together when it comes to planning the future - not just leaving it to chance and happenstance (which can’t be said about our politician - the inept bunch)

Figured out who you're talking about. Not easy when she hasn't been HRH since 1952. The correct initials are HM.

PS What does this have to do with Brexit?

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Which HRH? Prince Charles? If he predeceases his Mother (which is presumably what you mean if he's going to leave this mortal coil still as HRH) I don't see it making any difference to the commonwealth - might even give it a boost as his son is more popular.

No, by HRH, I mean her (not him). Her Maj. she has kept the commonwealth together, and grown it - but sadly with change comes volatility as we know. There will be those in the commonwealth who will see and seize an opportunity to influence and change things. By this I don’t mean merely appointing someone other than Prince Charles as the head of it. Albeit the commonwealth committee/ group are looking at that too. But I’d expect they’d consider all possibilities.

Figured out who you're talking about. Not easy when she hasn't been HRH since 1952. The correct initials are HM.

PS What does this have to do with Brexit?

We are seeking to do more with and reach out to the commonwealth post Brexit. Some members therein may wish to use it as an opportunity to influence things for their states as well - a loss of the Head of the Commonwealth and volatility in deciding a new one may not help. Again I’m saying we can’t assume it will always just ‘be’ there in its current form, succession planning and work to develop it must continue, if it’s to be part of our Brexit strategy also (can’t take it for granted as a given, in our back garden).

We have a transition deal.

We don't have anything to transition to.

But at least we have a way of getting there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/19/uk-eu-strike-brexit-transition-deal-ireland-says-talks-moving/

PS, some may not like it.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

EU gets 60% share of fishing rights in British waters which are the most productive in Europe by a far margin, EU is trying to continue with the same access after Britain leaves,  British fishermen are fuming at the mere suggestion.

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

14 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So, if smaller businesses do not export are you advocating leaving the EU in order to help large UK businesses export more outside of Europe?

And if the small businesses do not export what EU red tape are they leaving behind?  And if they do export to Europe and the UK is outside the EU would they not still need to comply with the EU rules/red tape?

Surely small businesses are more likely to export to Europe than further afield just with logistics.

I'm not advocating leaving the EU at all, but the vote was leave so it just needs to get done, I just don't believe the scaremongering, no doubt there will be a bit of a hiatus for a couple of years, but everyone will adapt soon enough.

How many businesses export to the EU?

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-businesses-export-eu/

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

3 hours ago, Perthbum said:

EU gets 60% share of fishing rights in British waters which are the most productive in Europe by a far margin, EU is trying to continue with the same access after Britain leaves,  British fishermen are fuming at the mere suggestion.

Apparently JRM will fling fish in protest!

13 hours ago, Perthbum said:

I asked this very question what will happen to the uk's fishing rights after brexit goes through I was told the uk will be fine hey newjez:P 

If they agree to this then they might as well stay in - one of the biggest assets. 

1 hour ago, Sunset said:

I asked this very question what will happen to the uk's fishing rights after brexit goes through I was told the uk will be fine hey newjez:P 

If they agree to this then they might as well stay in - one of the biggest assets. 

UK is being screwed in the EUs fishing rights, if May gives into the EU on this you might as well cancel brexit as nothing will change.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

UK is being screwed in the EUs fishing rights, if May gives into the EU on this you might as well cancel brexit as nothing will change.

I just said that ?

1 hour ago, Sunset said:

I just said that ?

No, you said something different to mine.

• Confused 1

Lot of teeth gnashing on the radio today, it's transitional deal for goodness sake, of course it has to work both ways, the EU will want to give their fisherfolk the chance to adjust to life after Brexit, just as much as the UK government want to ease the transition for UK business.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1