Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Collie said:

While BTD may have exaggerated a tad, when the topic of Brexit comes up, I have yet to meet anybody who thinks it's a good idea.  Most just shake their head in utter bewilderment.  This is across a wide range of nationalities (including many English expats) in both professional and social environments.

And yet 52% voted for it. And you have never met one. How odd ?

  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parley said:

And yet 52% voted for it. And you have never met one. How odd ?

Yep, but I've not been in Brexitland since the referendum.

All the expats I have come across think it's ludicrous.  Draw your own conclusions, maybe it says something about people who travel and leave abroad, maybe not 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Collie said:

Yep, but I've not been in Brexitland since the referendum.

All the expats I have come across think it's ludicrous.  Draw your own conclusions, maybe it says something about people who travel and leave abroad, maybe not 

Well I am an expat and I don't think it is ludicrous.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

It’s been proved it will not mean ripping up the GFA,

Really, where?

Every educated commentator I have heard (including many who were involved in writing the agreement), has differed.

A hard brexit means a reintroduction of a border on the island of Ireland against the will of the people.  That is in contravention of the GFA.

Whilst Brexit does have many other issues, NI is the issue that is in dispute.

Surely, you have grasped that by now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Well I am an expat and I don't think it is ludicrous.

Well, we've not met, have we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

It’s been proved it will not mean ripping up the GFA,

you have said there is no reference to uk leaving the eu in it. 

You don’t have the right to vote in uk politics so , you changing your mind has no bearing on this , there are many factors in the uk leaving the eu it’s not just NI. 

 

Its obvious, if we leave with no deal there is a requirement for border checks which the EU will HAVE to impose to protect their integrity, there will be a border between the EU and Britain, I thought we all understood brexit was about taking back control, so why is it a surprise when the EU say they they have to have control of their borders

So that impacts the GFA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Yes, we'll all get used to it, like when your daughter gets her hair dyed pink, except with this it doesn't just wash out.

The implications of this will be felt for 10 years and may cost lives, so yeah lets get on with throwing ourselves off the cliff.

Every commentator and analyst, including the PM at the time, have clearly said the voters were lied to by the brexit mob, so lets get on with the greatest act of self harm since Germany elected the National Socialists and America elected the Republicans, it'll be fine.  

Bit of a throwaway line, "it may cost lives". Plain scaremongering.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Its obvious, if we leave with no deal there is a requirement for border checks which the EU will HAVE to impose to protect their integrity, there will be a border between the EU and Britain, I thought we all understood brexit was about taking back control, so why is it a surprise when the EU say they they have to have control of their borders

So that impacts the GFA

The only way there can be a deal is if the UK retreats, and we are more desperate for a deal than the EU are.   Johnson will sacrifice Northern Ireland and rip up one of May's red lines, let them stay with Ireland in their own customs union.  We'll have a border with NI so the EU can check that we're not going to flood them with our chlorinated chicken and passing it through the border between Ulster and Ireland.   It makes a united Ireland a lot lot closer.

The EU offered this as a proposal a long long time ago, but now we're begging for something. 

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Parley said:

And yet 52% voted for it. And you have never met one. How odd ?

He probably talks to rich people from the South.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Bit of a throwaway line, "it may cost lives". Plain scaremongering.

If your life depends on drugs and radioactive isotopes from the EU then I do not think that  'it may cost lives' is scaremongering, it is a statement of fact.

You may just have to recognise there are real consequences to this populism and self interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

The only way there can be a deal is if the UK retreats, and we are more desperate for a deal than the EU are.   Johnson will sacrifice Northern Ireland and rip up one of May's red lines, let them stay with Ireland in their own customs union.  We'll have a border with NI so the EU can check that we're not going to flood them with our chlorinated chicken and passing it through the border between Ulster and Ireland.   It makes a united Ireland a lot lot closer.

The EU offered this as a proposal a long long time ago, but now we're begging for something. 

Well the DUP will have to go under the bus then, but will that solve anything, they will stir the protestants up, refuse to rejoin Stormont so the troubles will be reignited, but Boris may try it out of desperation and just allow it to happen to get out of his strife now.

Typical Tory short term fix yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well the DUP will have to go under the bus then, but will that solve anything, they will stir the protestants up, refuse to rejoin Stormont so the troubles will be reignited, but Boris may try it out of desperation and just allow it to happen to get out of his strife now.

Typical Tory short term fix yet again.

There was a much larger majority for Remain in Northern Ireland, than for Leave in England.   The DUP can merge with the remnants of the Tories, they'd make great bed fellows and it makes sense for all the right wing marginals (as they will end up being) to stick together..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yet the vote was for leave so the quicker it gets sorted the quicker people will get used to it.

May could have sorted it within a few weeks of her appointment. It's just that she didn't want to give the people what they had voted for because that would be "BRINO". They had to have something of her own invention - which of course nobody else wanted not even in Parliament. 


Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, newjez said:

You're not really. You left when you were three didn't you, and you've never lived in the UK as an adult have you? 

No I wasn't 3. It was about 3 weeks before I turned 14,

Does that make me an expat ?


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parley said:

No I wasn't 3. It was about 3 weeks before I turned 14,

Does that make me an expat ?

I'd say no tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

He probably talks to rich people from the South.

Off the top of my head, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Leeds, Leceister, Burnley, London, Wales, Cornwall, Brighton, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Durban (via London), Jo'burg, Harare, Auckland, Wellington, Singapore.

Enough of a cross section for you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ken said:

May could have sorted it within a few weeks of her appointment. It's just that she didn't want to give the people what they had voted for because that would be "BRINO". They had to have something of her own invention - which of course nobody else wanted not even in Parliament. 

May had an immigration agenda left over from her time as home secretary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Collie said:

Off the top of my head, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Leeds, Leceister, Burnley, London, Wales, Cornwall, Brighton, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Durban (via London), Jo'burg, Harare, Auckland, Wellington, Singapore.

Enough of a cross section for you?

Either you have a remarkably pro European network, or pro Brexit people have given up talking about it because they get so much grief.

  • Like 2

PR (100) planning to move to Perth by then end of 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With my cousins who still live in the UK- the Northerners voted for Brexit and the Southerners to remain. Seems to be typical. I don't think any of them have changed their minds as far as I know. It is sad really - I remember how happy I felt ( from afar) when they joined Europe.  I thought everything was rosy and the future was bright for Europe (not for us over here who missed out commercially). I also thought it was a good check against the good old domineering USA.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×