You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

But of course...we don't know what's going to happen yet so nobody can predict anything 

Sounds like we are permanently under the influence of something, in a haze - perpetual stoners!!

A referendum got us into this mess in the first place.  I think the confidence that some have that a referendum will get us out of it is somewhat misplaced.

I’d like a second referendum, but I think given how negligent our politicians have been in the leadership dept, that you may well be right.
  • Like 1

Are you alive or on auto pilot, please read the full context of the thread and why that was my reply.

We already know your view on opinions, reinforced in your post - which is what I’m referring to - so the context is quite inconsequential - when it comes to your posts.

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Please grow up. Lets blame brexit for every murder from now on...pathetic/ the EU does not need help n destroying itself, it is so corrupt and is the main cause of unrest in Europe;

No, you grow up, a liberal mayor in Gdansk, the birthplace of democracy in modern Poland was stabbed to death on a public stage whilst campaigning for donations for his country's health service, almost certainly by right wing supporters of Poland's extreme right govt.

You have the effrontery to simple dismiss that, do you have any  understanding of what the implications of that are for Europe, what will make you wake up.

To simply dismiss it betrays your complete lack of understanding of what Farage and his cronies are doing.and you display your lack of comprehension of the effect of brexit across Europe.

Brexiteers need to grow up, jo Cox in this country, Mayor of Gdansk in Poland, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who knows, no one can tell the future, but the so called experts have got is so wrong up to now.

And here we have the Prof Stephen Hawking of Brexit - the mysteries of the Brexit universe are about to be revealed....pay attention.

Thinking about all this , uk government spent 5 days debating the 500 page documentation on our leave offer , Junker and co had a 37 min meeting to say yes that’s good for us , sort of says it all really 
out with no deal for me 

Yes - because you were the fly on the wall at every briefing and meeting (formal and informal) on the wall that preceded that meeting, weren’t you? Is the concept of powers of delegation one you understand?

his remarks about uk people are disgraceful , hypocrisy from you as normally you are jumping up and down shouting down remarks like this , you are stupid by his reckoning as is everyone else who is working in the uk. 

Calm down dear.
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Calm down dear.

Very clam thanks all good in the Hunter 😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Yes - because you were the fly on the wall at every briefing and meeting (formal and informal) on the wall that preceded that meeting, weren’t you? Is the concept of powers of delegation one you understand?

And you are the fountain of all knowledge 

And you are the fountain of all knowledge 

You are too kind. On machinations of Governments and the public sector, having had a career spanning over 22 years in it - yes. I understand how these things work.

Getting back to the question - do you understand the concept of delegation? Yes or no will do.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Thinking about all this , uk government spent 5 days debating the 500 page documentation on our leave offer , Junker and co had a 37 min meeting to say yes that’s good for us , sort of says it all really 

out with no deal for me 

Easy, if you know what your agenda and objectives are then meetings should only take that long, our lot didn't know what they wanted and no one had even had a pre meeting, the EU knew what they wanted and agreed it in 35minutes, organized. Our lot couldn't even agree what they wanted to achieve, they just looked pathetic.

Now all the EU want is for us to p...off because we are dragging the EU down with us, I reckon they will just let us fall out with no deal now, the assessment will simply be if we keep this circus on the road for longer will the result simply be the same and also will the economic advantages of reaching a new deal with us offset the political damage that is happening in the EU   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

All a bit of a mess back in the UK at the moment can't be long before TM goes can it?

Dunno.  
You can’t place the blame for all of this at May’s door, although she should take her fair share. There’s the people who pushed for the referendum while not telling anyone what they were actually voting for. There were the people who won and then shrugged their shoulders and peaced out. There were the people who were supposed to be figuring out how this was all going to work and sat twiddling their thumbs for 18 months. There were the people who took over from those people and still didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing.

I also think Corbyn has made a mistake. The no confidence motion will bring the Conservative Party back together under TM. I don't see how TM can now manage an effective government (I know!), but I still think she's the best choice. But yes a pretty sorry state of affairs!

• Like 4

Dunno.  
You can’t place the blame for all of this at May’s door, although she should take her fair share. There’s the people who pushed for the referendum while not telling anyone what they were actually voting for. There were the people who won and then shrugged their shoulders and peaced out. There were the people who were supposed to be figuring out how this was all going to work and sat twiddling their thumbs for 18 months. There were the people who took over from those people and still didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing.
I also think Corbyn has made a mistake. The no confidence motion will bring the Conservative Party back together under TM. I don't see how TM can now manage an effective government (I know!), but I still think she's the best choice. But yes a pretty sorry state of affairs!

I’d have to concur.

17 hours ago, Perthbum said:

The EU has more to lose from hard Brexit than the UK, Mark Carney says

he EU has more to lose from Brexit than the UK, the Governor of the Bank of England has said as he admitted that Britain's economy will defy his own gloomy forecasts and grow at a faster rate than expected.

Mark Carney conceded that Brexit is no longer the biggest domestic risk to Britain's economy after issuing a series of dire warnings about the consequences of a leave vote in the run up to the EU referendum.

The Bank of England is now “very likely” to improve its economic forecast next month, Mr Carney said as he said he was “surprised” that the economic slowdown that he forecast has not materialised.

He said: "In the run up to the referendum we felt that it was the largest risk [to the economy]. There were a series of things that could have happened that would have had financial stability consequences. Of course having got through the night the day after the scale of the immediate risks around Brexit have gone down."

During an appearance before MPs he also said that a hard Brexit would pose a greater threat to the financial stability of the European Union than to the UK because of the strength of Britain's financial services sector.

Mark Carney: Britain is suffering first lost decade since 1860
h

During an appearance before MPs he also said that a hard Brexit would pose a greater threat to the financial stability of the European Union than to the UK because of the strength of Britain's financial services sector.

So he got it wrong. This guy is runnung the Bank of England and he can't even forecast what brexit would mean for each player.

I guess the government will still carry on paying his fat salary and continue listening to his advise though.

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And here we go, the genie is now out of the bottle, Thank You, Nigel Farage and your friends, revelling in the destruction of the EU and welcome back to the era of hating your neighbours

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/gdansk-polish-city-mourning-mayor-pawel-adamowicz-stabbing

The era of hating our neighbours never disappeared though did it. Scotland, Ireland and Wales can't even get along with England and how long has the UK  been, supposedly, together?

I don't think the EU has helped one bit in different countries getting on with each other. In fact, since Merkel made the decision to accept refugees it's pushed a lot of EU countries even further apart. She seemed to assume that she was making the decision for the whole of the EU and everyone would just go along with it.

19 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

So he got it wrong. This guy is runnung the Bank of England and he can't even forecast what brexit would mean for each player.

I guess the government will still carry on paying his fat salary and continue listening to his advise though.

You are commenting on a piece of total fiction posted by PB.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

10 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

The era of hating our neighbours never disappeared though did it. Scotland, Ireland and Wales can't even get along with England and how long has the UK  been, supposedly, together?

I don't think the EU has helped one bit in different countries getting on with each other. In fact, since Merkel made the decision to accept refugees it's pushed a lot of EU countries even further apart. She seemed to assume that she was making the decision for the whole of the EU and everyone would just go along with it.

Actually Brexit seems to have united the other 27 quite well, all things considered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

23 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Depends who owns the paper, what the chief editors political views are, what their readership is, which party they are aligned to and who wants to influence them with advertising money.

Gone are the days of investigative journalism. Most papers just regurgitate social media rumours and "fake news". They print crap and don't even check if it's true.

Is there one paper that supports Brexit?

If there is they will definitely get called out for fake news as most media owners are rich Liberal supporters who are worried about their own money. They don't give a toss about the UK, they can live anywhere they choose but I don't think many will be Brexit supporters.

I would say most papers are pro brexit, especially the telegraph, sun, daily mail, daily express. FT and times are more pro business. Guardian is pro stay, independent very pro stay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, simmo said:

Whereas Britain is the fastest growing G7 country in the EU.

So, you are saying that Britain is doing very well under the EU? Better than all the rest? There goes your economic argument.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Just watching the Brexit news and all those people waving flags around outside parliament. They are saying Theresa will be defeated heavily.  Not mad on her but have to say she has guts and is definitely better than any of the pollies we have over here.

I'm surprised no one has done a mock up got walk of shame.

Are there no limits to the humiliation this woman can endure?

16 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I am not sure that anyone can say he got it so so wrong.  He forecast that Brexit will be bad for the UK economy.  Only post-Brexit could you argue with his prediction if Brexit was not harmful to the economy.

Much of what his job entails is preparedness.  It would be irresponsible for him not to prepare for the worst.

Most people who own a home pay for house insurance.  Would you say that they had got it so so wrong taking it out if the house never burned down or they never had cause to make a claim on that insurance?

The UK had just come out of the GFC and was growing quite well. It looked like we were going to have a mini boom pre referendum. All that ground to a halt post referendum. We're not in recession, but we are stagnant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, unzippy said:

The EU will come like a dog begging for treats if we pull out without a deal

Because that strategy has worked so well over the last two years...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1