The (all new) Brexit Thread

Translated from French by Microsoft

On the truck that leads the demonstration yellow waistcoats in Clermont-Ferrand

2 hours ago, simmo said:

The yellow vests are out again in Paris 

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Translated from French by Microsoft

On the truck that leads the demonstration yellow waistcoats in Clermont-Ferrand

HHHmmmmm , apropos your comment about sanctions for going off thread, what exactly have either of these posts got to do with brexit. Except for showing that anti EU  populism spreads like wildfire when fanned by the likes of Farage, Salvini,  Orban, and le Pen.

And how many at the start of this thread yelled "RUBBISH" when I pointed out that the EU was a major factor in maintaining European peace for more than 60 years and now we see all the same tactics aimed at destroying the one thing that has kept these forces in check, le Pen, Farage, Wilders, Serbian nationalism, and now Salvini and Orban declaring an AXIS to destroy the EU.

Welcome, welcome to the 1930's folks  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

what exactly have either of these posts got to do with brexit.

seriously? You don't see any link between Brexit and Frexit?

5 hours ago, simmo said:

The next eurozone crisis has already started

Industrial output is in crashing. Retail sales have stagnated. Business confidence has dropped, and investment is heading south. A sharp slowdown might have been expected for Britain heading out of the European Union, America where the president is busily ripping up half a century worth of carefully constructed trade agreements, or China, which has been on a decade of wild, credit-fuelled growth.

But the real slowdown is happening in the one place where few economists expected it. It is now painfully obvious that the eurozone is heading into a sharp recession.

The numbers coming out of all its main economies, from Germany to France, Italy and Spain, are relentlessly bad. What does that mean?...

You didn't notice the Nasdaq dropping 20%?

It recovered a bit, but the world is in pre crisis stage.

China is struggling. Australia is feeling it. Europe is feeling it. USA is probably causing it. But it was going to happen sometime.

We are going to brexit into it.

We could be facing a tough couple of years, with or without brexit. If the EU crash the euro, that's going to affect us.

27 minutes ago, newjez said:

You didn't notice the Nasdaq dropping 20%?

It recovered a bit, but the world is in pre crisis stage.

China is struggling. Australia is feeling it. Europe is feeling it. USA is probably causing it. But it was going to happen sometime.

We are going to brexit into it.

We could be facing a tough couple of years, with or without brexit. If the EU crash the euro, that's going to affect us.

If the Euro, God forbid, crashes then prepare for Putin gobbling the whole of eastern Europe up, including Greece and Turkey, have no illusions, this populism plays into Putin's hands, whether he is bankrolling it is impossible to determine, but Russia saw the benefits of fascism and was willing to get into bed with Hitler, of course Hitler beat Stalin to the betrayal.  

Disruption in Europe benefits no one but Putin, Trump is rapidly hollowing out the USA, Putin must be dancing with glee as rope a  dopes egg brexit oon

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

So this would be the reason for lay offs at JLR then nothing to do with Brexit as claimed on here 

New cars will always be built.  Old or outdated models will stop being built.

The question for car makers is always whether to modify existing plant or start anew in another location.  If you think that Brexit is not going to factor in such decisions then you are dreaming.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

53 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The question for car makers is always whether to modify existing plant or start anew in another location.  If you think that Brexit is not going to factor in such decisions then you are dreaming.

Not dreaming at all , the lay offs in reality are down to bad business  relying on desiel engines which have been badly effected by the vw sarga and a massive slow down in Chinese sales , as I said not a direct link to Brexit as some on here tried to say. 

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

All along they said brexit will affect investment decisions.

Brexit affects investment decisions.

Shock horror!

Who would have predicted that?

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

If the Euro, God forbid, crashes then prepare for Putin gobbling the whole of eastern Europe up, including Greece and Turkey, have no illusions, this populism plays into Putin's hands, whether he is bankrolling it is impossible to determine, but Russia saw the benefits of fascism and was willing to get into bed with Hitler, of course Hitler beat Stalin to the betrayal.  

Disruption in Europe benefits no one but Putin, Trump is rapidly hollowing out the USA, Putin must be dancing with glee as rope a  dopes egg brexit oon

Putin I imagine is loving what is going on. Russia isn't a rich country. They do very well with what little they have. The USA would do better to buy their arms from Russia rather than make them themselves.

But a falling euro won't do anything bar help Europe. The problems in the past have been that Germany was too strong. Brexit will affect the northern countries. It may actually help balance the EU out.

46 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

These conspiracy theory websites are a real threat to public health

I think I may have posted this in the incorrect thread.  It is in reply to Parley's asking if England produced wine.

"The English countryside conjures many images. With their beaches, marinas, glorious forests and national parks, the counties of Hampshire and Sussex are best-known as southern England’s prime holiday playgrounds. But now they are gaining international recognition for something a little more unexpected – award-winning English wines. Think toasty sparklers evoking the style’s French rivals, delicate pinot noirs and floral whites with the fragrance of an English midsummer garden. It seems that England’s southern neighbours have new competition on the European wine front".

wine1.jpeg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I think I may have posted this in the incorrect thread.  It is in reply to Parley's asking if England produced wine.

"The English countryside conjures many images. With their beaches, marinas, glorious forests and national parks, the counties of Hampshire and Sussex are best-known as southern England’s prime holiday playgrounds. But now they are gaining international recognition for something a little more unexpected – award-winning English wines. Think toasty sparklers evoking the style’s French rivals, delicate pinot noirs and floral whites with the fragrance of an English midsummer garden. It seems that England’s southern neighbours have new competition on the European wine front".

wine1.jpeg

I'm surrounded by vineyards, and they make very expensive high quality wine.

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

These conspiracy theory websites are a real threat to public health

No more of a conspiracy compared to the ones you post up proclaiming  it’s going to be Armageddon when the uk leaves , it’s never happened before so nobody knows 100% what will happen , 

53 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

No more of a conspiracy compared to the ones you post up proclaiming  it’s going to be Armageddon when the uk leaves , it’s never happened before so nobody knows 100% what will happen , 

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joshua-mackenzie-lawrie-5a944aa6

Author of the article you posted, a very extensive resume, it seems he graduated with a second in 2017

On 11/01/2019 at 22:47, kungfustu said:

And don't forget that nasty tax you must pay when you buy any car........

I imported mine from the UK - I had to pay Stamp Duty in Victoria, despite already owning the damn thing!

Thieving barstewards🤬

On 11/01/2019 at 23:49, Ken said:

because everyone knows only Australian standards count who do NCAP think they are?

That too. 

Despite me have a German car, therefore clearly superior than anything than the Aussies can make, I had to have 🤬hole drilled in my boot to fix third anchor point for my non existent middle child seat, for my third non existing child.  And pay for it.

isofix-low-anchorages-diagram.jpg

It's now been unbolted and a grommet put in the plastic.

• Confused 1

I know Morgan is wholly British owned.  What other type of car is still wholly British owned?

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

I know Morgan is wholly British owned.  What other type of car is still wholly British owned?

Off the top of my head - Bristol, Morgan, Caterham and McLaren.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Off the top of my head - Bristol, Morgan, Caterham and McLaren.

A cousin's son had one of those cute Caterham cars.  Had to sell it when he got married though.