register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

21 minutes ago, unzippy said:

That's a pretty weak counter argument, I was hoping for better.

Weak ? Pity you can’t condem such a post for what it is 

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 07:54, ssiri said:

The twilight zone continues... BoJo has now made a naked grab for the top job - (ref) the Sunday Times - ‘this is war’.

The nightmare continues for millions in the UK, whilst BoJos motives for 23rd June 2016, may well be achieved - ascension to the premiership.

What nightmare is that? All our relations are in the UK and it's been businees and lufe as usual. You write as if people are losing their jobs and homes and living in squalor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Weak ? Pity you can’t condem such a post for what it is 

Yes, weak.  I was looking forward to a counter argument rather than toys being chucked out the pram.
I can appreciate both points of view - I'm not blinkered.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

What nightmare is that? All our relations are in the UK and it's been businees and lufe as usual. You write as if people are losing their jobs and homes and living in squalor.

I think that is Tory austerity rather than brexit. Although brexit did stop the boom in it's tracks.

• Like 1

I doubt bojo will get the top job. Hopefully this will be the end for him and we won't need to live with another one of his hopeless ministries.

I doubt JRM can get it without ever holding a ministry, but he may get one to shut him up.

No, I think it will be Gove. And I imagine he will fall on EEA EFTA. It's all he can do. It meets labours red lines. I doubt he will risk an election. He may be incompetent, but he is not a political fool.

BoJos latest antics over the past week, are getting more than tiresome. I think you are right, he has overcooked it - the shrewd class clown act is getting very very old, fast.

JRM - agree. Hope he doesn’t get a ministerial position though.

Give, is quite astute, and may well be it - but not until Brexit is done will the Maybot dance into the sunset....

The nightmare of political incompetence and Tory infighting. Labour is no better tbh. None are leading the country l. The country is barely running itself, whilst they focus on their internal obsessions - next they will be closing up shop like in Stormont - NI.

4 minutes ago, ssiri said:

The nightmare of political incompetence and Tory infighting. Labour is no better tbh. None are leading the country l. The country is barely running itself, whilst they focus on their internal obsessions - next they will be closing up shop like in Stormont - NI.

Is that really affecting people though or is life much the same despite it. You know when you were a teenager did you worry about what the government were doing? I know my kids wouldn't have a clue, they find it boring.

We got through years of Maggie so it can't be much worse than that.

• Like 1

"End of Austerity", they're so full of shit, it's unreal.

The authority where I am from, and will be moving back to, face their toughest cuts yet over the next 3 years. By the end of 2020, they will have lost 61% of their central funding.

• Thanks 1

Is that really affecting people though or is life much the same despite it. You know when you were a teenager did you worry about what the government were doing? I know my kids wouldn't have a clue, they find it boring.

People are fed up with it , the young who are switched on are much more mobilised these days, as their futures are mainly affected (by the political incompetence across the main parties etc,). There is quite a lot of poverty and a gap between have and have nots (over a decade now).

It may seem the same, but it isn’t. The changes driving all this (technology/patterns of working/GFC) is happening way to quickly for it to be the same, IMHO.

17 minutes ago, s713 said:

"End of Austerity", they're so full of shit, it's unreal.

I'd say we are about to be bribed ahead of a general election😄

• Haha 2

Brexit affecting people?

all together now   "But we haven't left yet"  😂

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

13 hours ago, simmo said:

a rising star in the Conservative party?

The warm up act shouldn't be better than the main event.

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Are you implying that the government doesn't actually do anything Paul?

5 hours ago, unzippy said:

I'd say we are about to be bribed ahead of a general election😄

Yes, you may be right. Or at least bribed before brexit.

1 hour ago, amibovered said:

Brexit affecting people?

all together now   "But we haven't left yet"  😂

Why is that such a difficult concept to understand?

When brexit happens, it will affect people.

Until brexit happens, the preparations for brexit may be a taster for what is to come, but will not have the impact that brexit itself will have.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, newjez said:

Why

• Sad 1

Needs to be in this case though doesn't it?

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Yes, you may be right. Or at least bribed before brexit.

Javid is already bribing with promising to stop all immigration except for high skilled workers, lets see how long that lasts when every industry says it can't compete without cheap labour, our whole economy is predicated on low skills industry based on cheap labour and with shrinking investment there is no alternative. All the graduates in the world cannot overcome that simple equation.

• Sad 1

On 01/10/2018 at 06:08, newjez said:

I think that is Tory austerity rather than brexit. Although brexit did stop the boom in it's tracks.

what boom?

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

4 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

what boom?

The 1% "boom" that will now likely be negative. Oh well, carry on.

8 hours ago, Perthbum said:

what boom?

You probably didn't notice it pulling pints up north, but there was a nice little upturn just before brexit as we were coming out of the GFC. You remember that period? When Britain was doing so much better than Europe?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/two-years-after-brexit-vote-these-charts-show-the-uk-economy-losing-momentum-2018-06-22

• Like 1

So, 5 months to sort Ireland out then? How's it going to work?

310 miles, 35,000 people crossing it a day, more crossing points than the EU's whole Eastern border, school kids, workers, nurses, patients, farmers, small businesses, no customs, free movement of people and goods........ it's not even marked.

Technology isn't an option, would take 10 years to implement. Border control isn't an option, would reignite the troubles. Leaving NI in the EU/Customs Union isn't an option, would herald the end of the UK.

What's to stop those pesky Romanians you so hate travelling to Dublin in April and just meandering their way to London, unmolested?

Just for context, here's a border pic.

image.thumb.png.6ac723c129295e242c2335d0ed6fc860.png

• Like 4