Best bank

Simons

You can open a westpac account from the UK if you want to have it in place! They have a branch in that there London.

I didn’t compare last time I moved, I need the account open for cash immediately. They had my card in the Brisbane branch when I landed and made a PIN on the spot with a magic PIN machine.

From memory, there was no fee providing we paid in a certain amount per month.  OH's salary went in, so that was fine.  There were no fees for cash withdrawals from certain cash points (Westpac, St. George and some others I think), but there were fees from other machines.  We used to get cashback in the supermarket most often, because there was no fee involved.  It was a Westpac Choice account.

I think any of the main ones you can open an account while still in the UK. 

You'd need to read their T&C's and see what one works best for you. We have no fees on our account. However, some accounts do have fees. 

If applying from the uk then you’re pretty limited to the big four. I used commonwealth just so I had something set up.

If you’re already over then I think AMPs B3tter account is the winner if you can live without having a branch to go to.

3% savings interest, no ongoing charges and it manages your bills efficiently.

B3tter is an awful name though.

ING everyday Orange & Ubank offer next best interest.

There is also HSBC, they have an international despartment that can set up  you an account in the UK or OZ,  you can have your accounts linked and manage from one app. I manage both with  UK  residential address, new Aussie ATM cards get send to me in  the UK.

• 4 weeks later...

NAB.

$0.00 per month account keeping fee regardless of how much $ you deposit into the account. You can leave it open without using it and not incur any fees for doing so. You get a Visa debit card and you can control all of the features of the debit card in the app, including setting a PIN and you can even turn the PayWave features on/off if you would rather insert and use your PIN instead (note: if you do that and try to use PayWave it'll just decline).

They also have no overdrawn fees. If a direct debit goes out of the account and is dishonoured, there's no charge to you. The transaction just reverses and it appears on your statement - that's it. No questions asked. 

You can also add your Superannuation account to Internet Banking if you go with MLC for Super. 

The interest rates on savings accounts are not great, though, so you could get NAB Classic Banking and link it to a ING Savings Maximiser with ING if that really bothers you... :) 

• 9 months later...

We opened a joint NAB migrant (Classic) account from the UK and were able to deposit money into it ready for arrival.  They don't actually activate the account for use until you turn up in the branch with your ID's after arrival, but all the cards were ready for issue on the day.

We always intended to change banks but have stuck with NAB for everyday banking as the internet side is very good and easy to manage, there are much better deals elsewhere for things like mortgages and loans etc...

• Thanks 1

Thanks. You can open a NAB joint account from the UK, but they require both acccount holders to be present for the ID check and card collection. Won't work for us as my wife will arrive a couple of weeks before I do, so for that reason I've just opened a single account with NAB in her name, which I'm assuming we can convert to a joint account after I arrive.

7 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Ditto for most of the banks these days.

Best regards.

True. But this includes no fees on overseas ATMs (or any overseas transactions) and they refund fees on the ATMs at servos etc. They also give you a few days grace if you accidentally go overdrawn. I dont say this about many banks but ive had a really good experience with ING. NAB may also provide something similar...i dont know..

Edited by DT55