Thinking of Moving From Melbourne to Sunshine Coast... advice & opinions needed :)

Smurfs

We moved from the Uk 4 years ago to Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula) . I own my own salon , my husband is a bricklayer and has his own business too. We have a son aged 12 years old , who is very much into his sports and it just starting secondary school this week... Our family have all just moved to the Sunshine Coast and absolutely love it. We have just sold our house back in the Uk and can finally get on to the property ladder in oz!! We love Melbourne and love The peninsula but are still being pulled to the Sunshine Coast? My husband is concerned about the work up there for bricklayers and we are concerned about the impact it will have on our son, making friends sports schools etc... the house prices are crazy at the moment and we could potentially lower our mortgage by $300-400,000 whilst being still being close to the beach and even closer to our family if we made the move to sc...it would be starting again but as long as the work is there and our son can adapt then we can give a big final push..... We are so undecided. Is there any bricklayers who can advise my hubby about work, or places to avoid schools etc? We are looking at Buderim , Mountain Creek, Aroona, Little Mountain.. ? Any help or advise appreciated ..

Hi Smurfs

We live on the Sunny coast, been here 10 yrs this May. It is a beautiful place to live, it is a very sporty community.

I work and live in Sippy Downs, my daughter went to Chancellor High school, i also work there lol, it is a very good school and it is a very sporty school. You have to be in catchment to get in though.  Your son will be starting school with a lot of other new children in yr 7, so should have no problem making friends as all the children will be finding there feet. 

Work wise there are always hairdressing jobs advertised, my friend owns a beautiful salon and always struggles to find good hairdressers. So you should be all good for work.

I know a few tradies, it has been quiet on the coast for a few years, but hopefully picking up now, but all the ones i know travel to Brisbane for work.

We picked Sippy because of daughter wanting that school, plus if hubby ever needed to commute to Brissie we would be close to the Bruce, my son ended up commuting down to Caboolture lol

At the moment not so Sunny Coast its pouring with rain, reminds me of home lol

Good luck with your move xx

On 27/01/2018 at 14:39, Smurfs said:

We moved from the Uk 4 years ago to Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula) . I own my own salon , my husband is a bricklayer and has his own business too. We have a son aged 12 years old , who is very much into his sports and it just starting secondary school this week... Our family have all just moved to the Sunshine Coast and absolutely love it. We have just sold our house back in the Uk and can finally get on to the property ladder in oz!! We love Melbourne and love The peninsula but are still being pulled to the Sunshine Coast? My husband is concerned about the work up there for bricklayers and we are concerned about the impact it will have on our son, making friends sports schools etc... the house prices are crazy at the moment and we could potentially lower our mortgage by $300-400,000 whilst being still being close to the beach and even closer to our family if we made the move to sc...it would be starting again but as long as the work is there and our son can adapt then we can give a big final push..... We are so undecided. Is there any bricklayers who can advise my hubby about work, or places to avoid schools etc? We are looking at Buderim , Mountain Creek, Aroona, Little Mountain.. ? Any help or advise appreciated ..

I love the Sunshine Coasts; we were married there, we have holidayed there and my parents now live there.  We are in Brisbane, but would love to move up if we could.

But you own two businesses in Melbourne, and seem to love it, so why not stay with what you have built and enjoy trips up North?  I would normally say go for it, but it's a lot to change; would you prefer the heat? (I was down for the Cricket on Boxing Day and found Melbourne really cold); would work be available / as good as you have done?

As said I would move there if I could, and although I work flexibly need access to the CBD.

Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Hi Smurfs,

I see it has been some time since you made this post. I wondered how your move went to the Sunshine Coast and if you made it in the end? 

We currently live on the Mornington Peninsula. Been here for 4 years and considering a move to the Sunshine Coast. Similar reasons to yourselves. Love it on the Peninsula but House prices here are crazy and looking for a warmer climate etc. 

be great to hear how your plans went. 

Cheers

Aussie Hopeful

Hello,

unfortunatkey after moving to the Sunshine Coast and building our new home.. We moved back to Melbourne we lasted just over a year. Yes the weather is better but we now realise there are pros and cons of both. My husband continued to commute back to Melbourne as his work was booming here. He did get work On the Sunshine Coast but was very clicky up there in construction. The rates are lower and the continuous work is unlikely. We were losing a lot of money. Our son is all so in to sports and whilst sports was ok we found club sports weren’t really as community based. We soon realised our son actually spent more time in doors whilst the weather is nice some days you just want to be in the aircon. There aren’t the spaces out footy oval or cricket nets like down in Melbourne. We were living apart a lot too. It was hard on our family. The beaches I feel aren’t as nice as the peninsula but the water is warmer and you can use them more. We feel safer in Melbourne as there doesn’t seem to be as many rips or sharks peeking around or jellyfish. People don’t venture out in for a swim. Some Queenslanders we met weren’t as keen on Melbourne a or people from Sydney although there were some really nice people. We do miss qld and left our family there. If work was different would it of worked , who knows. The grass ain’t always greener. Do what makes you happy but Melbourne is an amazing city and has a lot of soul the beaches are great but the weather isn’t as good. 

We sat down and Had to think king and hard and for us Melbourne seemed like the right place. Work wise and for our teenage son. You see kids are different but there isn’t much for teenagers to do some of his mates I was slightly concerned.

all in all we can’t really say do or don’t only you can make the decision but we could possibly help with areas! Rent before you buy!! You can always come back!! Or even go there for a couple of months. 

don’t make a decision in winter to leave Melbourne and during lockdown as it is daily decided look at the bigger picture.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Hopeful said:

We currently live on the Mornington Peninsula. Been here for 4 years and considering a move to the Sunshine Coast. Similar reasons to yourselves. Love it on the Peninsula but House prices here are crazy and looking for a warmer climate etc. 

I'd say, don't assume you have to go all the way to Queensland for a better climate.  You'd be going to the other extreme and you might find you don't like that as much as you think (see Smurfs' post).   

You don't have to go far for the climate to get noticeably warmer and a lot more predictable.   Melbourne is in a unique spot, stuck on a coastline exposed to freezing Antarctic winds, but also vulnerable to hot winds blowing in from the flat inland.  That's why the weather is uniquely unpredictable.  

It sounds like affordability is driving part of your decision and in that case, I'd take a look at Newcastle (if you need a decent-sized city for work).  If you don't want to live in the city itself, it has some lovely areas about the same commute as you have now - Port Stephens, for instance (dolphin watching, fresh oysters, sand dunes).  What about Adelaide?