Where to rent in Melbourne

Brucolino

Hi everyone,

I'm keen to get some advice from anyone who has lived or is still living in Melbourne regarding where the best place to look for rental flats would be. I have already stayed in St Kilda for a short period and really enjoyed it. My concern is I have experienced St Kilda during the summer and have heard it gets rather boring during the winter months. Is this true?

My other worry relates to distance to the city via public transport. It actually took a fair amount of time to get into the city using the tram. Could anyone advise on possible faster ways of getting into the centre (from St Kilda)? I am looking to work in the IT sector and my current assumption is that the majority of IT jobs are clustered near the city centre. Would you say this is true? I wouldn't want to spend much more than an hour per day commuting if I ended up working in the city.

Are there any other locations near/around Melbourne (with good public transport) that I should definitely be looking into? My partner and I are a young couple that enjoy outdoor activities and the buzz of the city (cinema, museums, shops etc) but also enjoy space. We're not in any way interested in night life or bars/clubs but would enjoy restaurants and coffee shops. We also like to use public transport or be within walking distance of amenities. My favourite thing about St Kilda was the beach walks and coffee shops.

All advice welcome :)

Many thanks!

Edited by Brucolino