Re registration with NMC

Amber Snowball

I have had a search through the forum but can only find information that is 4-5 years old.

So, I have completed my application to re register as a nurse with the NMC. Took 2 hours, lots of Professional Development detail! I then fought with the payment system, wouldn’t accept my card, ended up mugging my mum for 120 pounds. Then they presented me with a request for a character reference from an NMC registered nurse who has known me for a year and has had regular contact for the last 6 months.........really?

Thought this might be incorrect but no, it is listed under “ if you completed your recent practice overseas”. I have sent them a message asking for a way around this, but has anyone done this recently?

I’ll await their reply, no choice, and get on with my employer reference and AHPRA as they may take a while as well.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Just now, Amber Snowball said:

I know! Who keeps paying 120 pounds per year for a registration they’re not using?!!!

Anyhoo, I’ll see what they say when they get back to me. If it’s anything like my last conversation with them it won’t help. The ability to not answer a straight forward question is mind blowing. 

It seems that organisations the world over are full of red tape lol - Good luck, i'll be interested to know how you get on

10 hours ago, ali said:

It seems that organisations the world over are full of red tape lol - Good luck, i'll be interested to know how you get on

Thanks Ali, I’ll update as I go. 

Racking my brain for someone who might have kept their registration after moving here. Anyone from the UK that I knew dropped off contact years ago.

I’ve offered a manager that held NMC rego previously, they might go for that. I’m giving them the opportunity to only have 39999 nursing vacancies instead of 40000, you’d think they would be snapping me up! ?

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

Registered in oz doesn't count, they must be NMC registered. 

Yes, which is a dumb ask for people who have lived overseas for years really. I trained in the UK and was registered without restrictions there. You’d think all they would need is to know I had continued to practice and be registered without restrictions overseas. I’m in a country whose training and regulation they recognise and accept as comparable.......anyway ranting now, apologies, not your fault. I’ll wait to see what they say, I can’t be the only one. ? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, simmo said:

Its a ridiculous scenario!!  The NHS continually moans about shortage of nurses and hospitals are full of staff that can barely speak English when they make it so difficult for people like you or young English girls to get into the field.

Oi! What do you mean “ like you OR young English girls “ ? Saucy beggar!! ??

But yes I agree, ridiculous! I’ll report what they say, they may surprise us all with a reasonable and rational response. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ali said:

I realise that - just commenting that If I were to be in Ambers position then I would not be able to find anyone.

I think there was a thread a few months back where some posters were getting in touch with each other to try and meet the NMC requirement  I can't track it down but maybe you can?

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I think there was a thread a few months back where some posters were getting in touch with each other to try and meet the NMC requirement  I can't track it down but maybe you can?

I have found one about revalidation and a poster on there moved back so have posted for them. I don’t think the revalidation required you to know each other. The registration referral is a health and character statement so slightly different. Cheers.

So, it turns out common sense will not prevail........

Have to say NMC is very timely with its unhelpful information. I received an email today from them basically with the instructions about having a reference from a current NMC registered nurse copied from the form into the email and that was it! ?

On the way to work I had an epiphany and thought of a nurse in a different service from me at work who was talking of returning to the UK this year. A quick email and yes she is registered and would sign my form as she had had the same issues last year. We are also in contact regularly with each other as we refer clients to our respective services, so that ticks the “ in contact for the last 6 months” caveat that they also stipulate....give me strength.

So, for anyone needing to re register with the NMC you need to plan and tee up 6 months of contact with an old work colleague who is still registered, as the NMC will not budge. 

Another thing my nursing angel friend said was that when she was struggling to find someone to sign her form, the NMC told her if she couldn’t get someone she would have to do a return to practice course. Nursed continuously for 22 years,  masters degree and they want a return to practice course???? I think not.

Anyway I am off to the post office tomorrow to send my forms by registered post.

Happy days. ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Big news! Got my re registration approval today! So happy.:jiggy:

Had to get a woman I worked with 13 years ago and have only emailed since to complete my NMC form, as a nurse wasn’t good enough, the person had to be a nurse and a health visitor because that is what I was......they have also reinstated my health visitor and community prescriber registrations as well, which I wasn’t expecting.

I have my CV ready and will be able to apply for a job I have had my eye on!

Really, so happy / relieved.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Big news! Got my re registration approval today! So happy.:jiggy:

Had to get a woman I worked with 13 years ago and have only emailed since to complete my NMC form, as a nurse wasn’t good enough, the person had to be a nurse and a health visitor because that is what I was......they have also reinstated my health visitor and community prescriber registrations as well, which I wasn’t expecting.

I have my CV ready and will be able to apply for a job I have had my eye on!

Really, so happy / relieved.

Fantastic news Amber x

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I know. Can you tell I am hugging you across the Nullarbor? And possibly jumping around whooping!?

Funnily enough ... I can because I'm smiling from ear to ear for you lol.

• Like 1