Parley

Have you bought any bitcoin ?

9 hours ago, simmo said:

👍

CNBC says it will hit $60,000 next year.

Fill your boots simmo.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 18/11/2020 at 16:39, newjez said:

CNBC says it will hit $60,000 next year.

Fill your boots simmo.

I wish i'd listened to @Parley when they where USD10,000

And another executive from citibank reckons $310,000 by end of next year.

I think I will hold mine for a while longer and see what happens

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Lucky you didn't listen when they were $17000 the first time.

When someone can explain what makes it go up and down, I might buy some.

In the meantime, I understand hydrogen power and I'm invested in it.

I understand covid and vaccines and I'm invested in it.

Don't invest in Ponzi schemes you don't understand. Easiest way to lose money.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, simmo said:

If you fancy a dabble with some money you can treat as speculative, have a go at Litecoin,

Currently they are around AUD $114. They are also moving up strongly and I think will do well similar to Bitcoin but a lot cheaper.

Disclosure I do own quite a few Litecoin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simmo said:

I tell you what simmo. I've currently got £10000 invested in rolls Royce. They are about a pound a share ATM. 

You buy £10000 in bitcoin and we'll compare notes in a years time. The winner can buy the loser a pint in wetherspoons, which incidentally I also have £10000 of shares in.

Oh, and obviously mine is in an ISA so I pay no tax. I'm sure you can work some way of putting bitcoin into an ISA.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, newjez said:

Lucky you didn't listen when they were $17000 the first time.

When someone can explain what makes it go up and down, I might buy some.

In the meantime, I understand hydrogen power and I'm invested in it.

I understand covid and vaccines and I'm invested in it.

Don't invest in Ponzi schemes you don't understand. Easiest way to lose money.

Like anything else, DYOR and you will understand.

My average purchase price was $7500 AUD over all my BTC purchases.

But even if you had bought at $17000, you may be very happy in the long run anyway, if they go to USD $60K like the prediction on CNBC.

But I have always said these are speculative investments and I would not invest more than 5% of my total portfolio into crypto investments.If I lose it all it is not the end of the world.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

lifes to short, if you like a gamble and can afford it have  a go, I have invested 10k in bitcoin taken out half of the profit which was  15k and will let the rest ride, I have 5k in the bank even if they crash.

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 20/11/2020 at 23:25, newjez said:

I tell you what simmo. I've currently got £10000 invested in rolls Royce. They are about a pound a share ATM. 

You buy £10000 in bitcoin and we'll compare notes in a years time. The winner can buy the loser a pint in wetherspoons, which incidentally I also have £10000 of shares in.

Oh, and obviously mine is in an ISA so I pay no tax. I'm sure you can work some way of putting bitcoin into an ISA.

would rather bitcoin, rolls royce will have to go electric if they are to survive.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

3 hours ago, Perthbum said:

would rather bitcoin, rolls royce will have to go electric if they are to survive.

Hmmmmm that's an interesting concept, electric aircraft.

They have the Jet engines. I don't think they can go electric.

I suppose Rolls Royce will convert their cars to electric like everyone else will eventually. They are big heavy cars though so they will have challenges.

Edited by Parley

They have an electric car. They also have an electric plane. Plus they are looking at fuel cells and hydrogen jet engines.

I think they have it covered.

But I don't intend to hold them for that long.

Share price is 1.15 now. 15% rise.

Edited by newjez

On 20/11/2020 at 23:25, newjez said:

I'm obs not as rich as you. I wish I had a spare 10k kicking around.  I've had a lot of bad luck (bad decisions) with money.  I could fall in a bag of t!ts and come out sucking my thumb... So I'll stick to my pensions.

If it goes belly up for you I'm happy to buy you a pint in spoons though.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Perthbum said:

To be honest, I would probably cash out of rolls Royce and buy something like national grid which is going to get a boost from a brexit deal.

It was really just an example of reasoning behind investment. You buy investments for a reason, because you expect something to happen. It doesn't mean you are right. But you know why the shares go up or down.

None of you have a clue whether bitcoin will hit 30000 or 3000, and when it does, you won't know why.

It's just gambling without knowing the odds. It doesn't mean you can't make money out of it. You can. But it's very hard to manage.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, simmo said:

I'm obs not as rich as you. I wish I had a spare 10k kicking around.  I've had a lot of bad luck (bad decisions) with money.  I could fall in a bag of t!ts and come out sucking my thumb... So I'll stick to my pensions.

Tbh I'm thinking of going to cash pretty soon. I'm just waiting for the brexit deal, and then I'll take shelter over Xmas. The USA needs stimulus even with a vaccine, and they aren't going to get that through till February.

But I think 2021 will be a good year for the USA markets. Maybe not so much for the UK and Europe.

18 hours ago, newjez said:

None of you have a clue whether bitcoin will hit 30000 or 3000, and when it does, you won't know why.

It's just gambling without knowing the odds. It doesn't mean you can't make money out of it. You can. But it's very hard to manage.

While you can and did make that argument a year ago, it is less true today.

I know you watch the CNBC videos. You would be aware of Paypal allowing bitcoin as a funding source for purchases and various other developments. Bitcoin is becoming more mainstream.

While a correction is possible, maybe even likely I don't think it will go back to $3000. $10K at the lowest would be my guess. $30000 more likely by end of next year or higher if FOMO really kicks in.

On 25/11/2020 at 04:50, simmo said:

You want to talk bad money decisions.

When I was twenty, friend of mine gave me a tip on a company called pelsart mining. They were 2c a share at the time. I had $8000 in the bank. I'd been working since I was 14. But it was my uni money. My parents had no money, I had to fund my own degree. Over the next few months, I watched pelsart go up to $1.52. I would have made half a million. At the time you could buy a nice house for 100k. Five houses, I would have been set for life. Still, I have no regrets. If I'd lost my uni money on a blind gamble, it would have killed me.

I was made redundant in 2009. Bad redundancy, no money in the bank, house prices had just crashed, and they weren't selling. No jobs around. I was in trouble. Fortunately a mate put me forward for a contract. I vowed never to be in that position again. 

Got made redundant last year. Out of work for six months, but wasn't worried with no mortgage and cash in the bank, plus the redundancy was very generous.

You have to roll with the luck. I'm comfortable now, but I don't have expensive tastes. I don't particularly like money, and I don't like myself when I've had too much. But I appreciate it gives you options, and it gives you time.

As you know, time is a valuable asset for me, as I don't know how much I've got.

From an investment point of view, I'm tempted to buy some TUI and easyJet. As vaccines are approved, and if Brexit deal gets done, they should do well.

Then I plan on having everything in cash including pensions over Christmas, re entering the market in February, split between USA, Europe and Asia. I will buy BP, itm, polymetal and other gold mines, probably hochschild with my share account. Possibly banks and other financials too.

If there was one share to buy in February and hold, it would probably be polymetal. It should benefit from USA stimulus and the economic recovery.

But dyor.

Oh, and I'll probably hold some wetherspoons too. Should come out of this mess well.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

Looks like the resistance at US$20000 per coin has been broken finally.

Bitcoin has surged over 9% to a new all time high yesterday

I think the next bull run has just started but time will tell.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Looks like the resistance at US$20000 per coin has been broken finally.

Bitcoin has surged over 9% to a new all time high yesterday

I think the next bull run has just started but time will tell.

I saw a headline in the news today about how well it was doing and I thought of you. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I saw a headline in the news today about how well it was doing and I thought of you. 

Thanks. I only own 1 bitcoin but it is a bit of fun to see what happens.

Change if subject from Bitcoin, but has anyone in the UK ever bought any NS&I Premium Bonds and won any prizes? 

8 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Change if subject from Bitcoin, but has anyone in the UK ever bought any NS&I Premium Bonds and won any prizes? 

Yes, lots.   We left some money in the UK thinking it would be handy for holidays, and since our British bank account pays no interest, we moved most of it into Premium Bonds.   The prizes worked out to be better than the interest rate at the time.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 21/11/2020 at 10:25, newjez said:

@newjez what should i do ? Bitcoin seems to be going up $1000 every day.

Even on Christmas Day bitcoin went up $1K. why are people buying bitcoin on christmas day beats me ?

Should I sell or keep riding the wave ?

Must admit i am a bit conflicted as it is outperforming every investment i have ever had.

Edited by Parley

4 hours ago, Parley said:

@newjez what should i do ? Bitcoin seems to be going up $1000 every day.

Even on Christmas Day bitcoin went up $1K. why are people buying bitcoin on christmas day beats me ?

Should I sell or keep riding the wave ?

Must admit i am a bit conflicted as it is outperforming every investment i have ever had.

I would wait and see what Tesla does with it. It's a bubble. You can make money from a bubble until you can't. The problem is there will be no way of knowing when the bubble is over. The Georgia election may have a bit of an impact too. In which direction god only knows. You're riding a tiger parley.

• Like 1

shame....

In 2014, Lily described herself as an ‘idiot’ for refusing to sing on a live stream broadcast in the virtual world of Second Life. She claimed to have been offered hundreds of thousands of Bitcoins to play the gig in 2009 – but turned it down by saying: ‘As if!’ But if she had received 200,000 Bitcoins and stashed them away, they would now be worth a massive £1.68 billion (£1,682,821,497)

https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/04/its-not-fair-lily-allen-missed-the-chance-to-become-a-billionaire-by-turning-down-a-gig-paid-in-bitcoin-7131494/?ito=cbshare

• Like 1