Would you recommend I ship my tools of trade?

RDB

Hello

We hope to move to Australia soon on a 457 visa (with the hope/intention of becoming permanent residenets)

My hubby's dilemma is whether or not to ship the tools of his trade ( i.e. he's a vehicle mechanic, so toolbox is what I mean)

He has a job lined up and they want him to start asap. He has to provide his own tools. A friend has offered to lend him some in the meantime until our shipment arrives from UK.

Question. Is it worth shipping his toolbox or would it be more cost effective to replace his tools in Perth when we get there?

Any mechanics on this forum who could advise?

Many Thanks

If his friend has offered to lend him tools till your shipment arrives I’d think shipping them makes sense surely? No point paying for replacing if there is no pressure or reason to do so. Also if your shipping is being paid for then it’s not costing him anything to bring them is It? 

On 1/24/2018 at 23:19, snifter said:

If his friend has offered to lend him tools till your shipment arrives I’d think shipping them makes sense surely? No point paying for replacing if there is no pressure or reason to do so. Also if your shipping is being paid for then it’s not costing him anything to bring them is It? 

Thanks for your response. 

I think he was more interested to find out what the cost of tools in Aus are compared to in UK? It's quite a big tool chest and weighs alot so no doubt will add onto our shipping costs.

He's concerned that the loan tools will be quite limited and hinder him from doing his job until our container arrives. 

I don’t think it goes on weight. If you have a container and it’s being paid for, surely you will have space to fit it in.

If he has to buy tools then once here so be it but at least some are covered if lent. He could then sell any excess once his own stuff arrives. 

I still need to look more into shipping options, however I was initially quoted based on a limiting factor of space (cubic feet ). As we're only shipping a limited amount of furniture we were quoted for a shared (groupage) container service.

I’m not saying they have too.

What are they covering? Or have offered to cover? I’d do some reading so you can see what others have gotten.

If you are moving here and only shipping a small amount you’ll have to pay a chunk to replace it. 

Thanks for your advice. Will try find out more.

I know they said from the beginning that they wouldn't pay for the cost of the visa (I remember that...)and I think they also said they wouldn't pay for airfares to get there either (will double check on that..).  I did read somewhere (online) that if we end up leaving Aus at the end of our temporary visa, then the company has to pay for us to get back home. (I presumed that meant the cost of the air tickets...not sure if it includes shipping costs too), however our intention is to hopefully remain and apply for PR.

As for shipping costs to get to Aus...well I just assumed that the onus was on ourselves to fit that bill...(not sure if there's anything legally binding regarding what they have to/don't have to provide)

On the plus side...the company is offering subsidised housing for us on arrival and lending us furniture until ours arrives (planning on just shipping over mainly white goods and bed...one/two boxes small things.

I am not aware there is a legal obligation for them to pay those things. 

You are forking out a huge amount of money for a temp visa. Subsidised housing may or may not be a good deal. 

Those I know on a 457 have had pretty much everything covered including shipping and accommodation for the first few weeks. I am not sure if they paid for the visa application. If you are happy to take the package they have offered then that’s fine. I really hope you gain PR at the end of it. 

I’m pretty sure as a condition of 457, they can’t claim visa costs off you (i.e. you cannot buy a 457). Relocation package is subject to negotiation. If they terminate you or your visa expires, their minimum liability is to fly you home. Your stuff could in theory be stranded if you didn’t have he money to send it back.