Success 6164 - Feedback

mext60

Hi All,

Coming back to the forum after a long time, was very active here when I was applying for my 176.

My company in Dubai is moving me to Perth on my request and their offices are in Henderson 6166. We are a family of two, me and mrs. My job will have a lot of travelling and wife is not keen on driving, so while looking at areas to live, we have narrowed down to Success 6164, and we are looking at apartments next to Gateway Shopping Center and around Cockburn central. On suburb reviews on homely dot com, success's rating is low. I was wondering if someone can provide feedback on the suburb and specially on how safe it is. Any general feedback will also be appreciated.

Thanks

Success is a nice suburb, not sure why the rating would be low. The four suburbs directly South of Cockburn Central are all decent Success, Atwell, Aubin Grove and Hammond park.

With the new train station at Aubin Grove either Hammond Park or Aubin Grove would be my choice over Atwell and Success, they are all served by a good bus service into Cockburn Central.

The drive to Henderson from any of those would be really easy 15-20 minutes tops at peak times.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If it is only you and your wife forget suburbs - look at Fremantle - everything on your doorstep and you can walk everywhere. Henderson a short 10 minute drive away. I think she would be bored beyond belief living in Success or  Cockburn on her own when you are off travelling. I also lived lived in Dubai for a few years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We lived in Atwell for a couple of years and kids went to school there but I’d probably steer clear now as seems to be a lot of drugs about,  Piara Waters and Harrisdale are good areas also has a shopping centre plus Cockburn is not far away!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. One more question, living in Dubai for 13 years in an apartment, me and mrs are more comfortable living in an apartment as compared to a house (at least for now, as we are assuming that for the two of us house might be too much at this point till our family grows). Lately someone commented to us that it is safer to live in a house in Perth than an apartment. I did not understand that logic as the apartments we have viewed so far have access control so one would assume that they shall be a little more secure than a house. 

Apart from security, any other known issues with apartment living in Perth as compared to a house. We are about to close a rental agreement for an apartment in Cockburn Central (apparently the building looks very neat and clean, stylish interior and access control, so were not able to find any fault during inspection and have given our offer).

Thanks in advance.

Hav

9 hours ago, mext60 said:

Lately someone commented to us that it is safer to live in a house in Perth than an apartment. I did not understand that logic ...Apart from security, any other known issues with apartment living in Perth as compared to a house. We are about to close a rental agreement for an apartment in Cockburn Central (apparently the building looks very neat and clean, stylish interior and access control, so were not able to find any fault during inspection and have given our offer).

Thanks in advance.

So you've visited and actually inspected the unit, not just viewed it online?  If so, then I can't see any problems.   I don't live in Perth but I can't imagine any reason why an apartment would be less secure than a house.  Personally I wouldn't choose to live out in Cockburn but that's personal preference.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mext60 said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. One more question, living in Dubai for 13 years in an apartment, me and mrs are more comfortable living in an apartment as compared to a house (at least for now, as we are assuming that for the two of us house might be too much at this point till our family grows). Lately someone commented to us that it is safer to live in a house in Perth than an apartment. I did not understand that logic as the apartments we have viewed so far have access control so one would assume that they shall be a little more secure than a house. 

Apart from security, any other known issues with apartment living in Perth as compared to a house. We are about to close a rental agreement for an apartment in Cockburn Central (apparently the building looks very neat and clean, stylish interior and access control, so were not able to find any fault during inspection and have given our offer).

Thanks in advance.

The area around Cockburn Central has had some issues with anti social behavior as anywhere in the world would with a great big shopping centre next to it, that's why I suggested the suburbs directly South. I certainly would not be closing ANY rental agreement without seeing the place in the flesh, I wouldn't trust any pictures you see over the internet. It's a renters market at the moment don't rush you will secure somewhere no problem get an Airbnb for a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

To give you some positives, you are 10 mins max drive from a beautiful beach and glorious ocean which even has a shark net swimming enclosure,!  You have all amenities (shops, restaurants) on your door step, you have direct access to the city within 20 mins via train (and car), you have a brand new leisure centre right next to you Cockburn ARC, you are less than 20 mins drive away from the beautiful city of fremantle....I don’t really understand why you think an apartment is better than a house but that is your preference and I respect that, there are certainly many worse places to live, I actually quite like the area and there is much investment there from the local council.  However, Cockburn Central sits on a busy intersection and you will possibly have lots of traffic noise but as I’ve outlined above you have access to much on your doorstep.

• Like 1

I wish you all the best! Moving can be so exciting yet stressful, may I suggest that when you are feeling the stress, take 10 mins to drive down Beeliar Road towards the ocean, maybe pack a small picnic, the moment you get that amazing view of the Indian Ocean and see the glorious beaches it will definitely alleviate some of the stress xxxxx

Enjoy, that area is nice as @Phoenix16 says Coogee beach is lovely, I swim there twice a week during Spring an Summer before work.

I don't think you will have a need to go there because none have anything of interest to see but avoid the suburbs NE of Cockburn Central in particular Spearwood, Hamiton Hill and Yangebup. 

On 13/04/2018 at 20:48, Sandgroper said:

Enjoy, that area is nice as @Phoenix16 says Coogee beach is lovely, I swim there twice a week during Spring an Summer before work.

I don't think you will have a need to go there because none have anything of interest to see but avoid the suburbs NE of Cockburn Central in particular Spearwood, Hamiton Hill and Yangebup. 

Fair comment but will just say first house we bought in Auz was in Hammy Hill, massive block, gorgeous big pool, awesome big back yard, but house was too small, we had  amazing neighbours (still close friends), manning park was yards away, always remember laying round the pool listening to Kate Ceberano rehearsing for the big Cockburn concert at Manning Park.  We wanted to extend and renovate massively but was unrealistic cost to resale value, we moved on but the house has just sold again, went within weeks and they made a nice profit in this dire climate.  I think Hammy Hill has an undeserved bad reputation, I really do, you are minutes from Freo and there really are some deeireable parts, like anywhere. DD schools in Mosman Park, some roads look like millionaires row but trust me some roads look worse than Hammy Hill, it’s subjective (although I do realise the worst house in the best area is always a good investment!!) xxxxxx

• 4 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:55, Phoenix16 said:

#mext60 hope you’ve settled in ans are enjoying life xxx

Hi Everyone, as promised here is my feedback after living in Cockburn Central for around 6 months now.

There is nothing to complain. The apartment building we are in (Vicinity Complex) is wonderful (though lacks gym or swimming pool). Before moving, all that we heard about anti social behaviour, fortunately have not seen any so far. I am away for weeks (sometimes a month) for work but OH enjoys the time alone in the suburb and walks to Gateway for her shopping and outings when I am not around. She also enjoys the fact that the train station is next door, so when I am not around she can go to the city or other places. The intersection & fwy entry is an issue sometimes like 5PM on Saturdays or Sundays, however trust me it is nothing as bad if you are used to traffic jams on Shiekh Zayed Road in Dubai. Greatest thing is 3 to 4 lakes close by, which we normally go to on weekends. I normally take a walk late night (9 or 10PM) from my apartment on to the North Lake Road and back and fortunately have not experienced anything bad.

The only issues we had so far were due to the Police Station ? , because they left for a call with the sirens on after midnight and that woke us up. Very rarely drunk people screaming on weekend nights in the bar nearby (however that is normally not too late, around 9 or 10PM on weekends when we are also awake). Apart from that, everything is hunky dory so far.

• Like 1