What is wrong with Perth? Nothing. I could live here as easy as i live in Sydney

MARYROSE02

It has been really windy this summer, which is OK during the day but it does make it feel colder once the sun has gone.

I find the Northern beaches are very choppy, other than a walk and a paddle I don't bother. We have friends in Shoalwater and (for some reason) the currents are nowhere near as bad there.

Snake signs are a standard but, considering I've probably walked on the beach about 1500 times since we moved here, I've never seen one.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 15:38, s713 said:

It has been really windy this summer, which is OK during the day but it does make it feel colder once the sun has gone.

I find the Northern beaches are very choppy, other than a walk and a paddle I don't bother. We have friends in Shoalwater and (for some reason) the currents are nowhere near as bad there.

Snake signs are a standard but, considering I've probably walked on the beach about 1500 times since we moved here, I've never seen one.

Perhaps it's a legal requirement?  The first time I was in Perth in November, 1978, I was down at Scarborough every day although I see they are in the middle of a huge construction project at the moment.

On 01/02/2018 at 14:58, Marisawright said:

Of course you do.   But if someone is interested in the arts, like me, it's not enough that there are shows on.  Most dance or theatre or music aficionados are interested in a particular style.  So although you may be able to see "lots of" shows, there may only be a handful that I'd want to see.  Even if there are "lots", there are LESS than in Sydney or Melbourne, so I'll have less choice.  

I don't know what you're being so defensive about.  I've told you a fact - I'm a performer and I know plenty other performers who never go to Perth because the transport cost is too high, and they couldn't recoup their costs.  It's just a fact of life, and it's one of the things that makes Perth a less-than-ideal spot for me, particularly as I'm into the beach lifestyle. However, I have friends for whom Perth is the perfect place, because they have different interests.  And that's as it should be.

I am only a occasional visitor to the theatre - although I'm trying to push myself to go more - went to Belvoir on Friday night last and am going again on March 16th but Belvoir is particularly easy for me as it's round the corner from my flat. 

I liked the lack of crowds and traffic compared to Sydney which makes up for lack of "arty" venues compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Perhaps footie fans from the eastern states make the same sacrifice particularly if they are rugby union or league fans although all the games are on TV. At least there are two AFL clubs in Perth if you are an AFL fan - which I am - the Swans. And of course for the EPL it does not matter where I am in Australia. Sometimes the Perth timezone works in my favour, sometimes not. I suppose one way around the arts and football "droughts" would be to take intensive holidays in Sydney or Melbourne and go every day/night for a couple of weeks.

On 29/01/2018 at 22:06, lothar said:

Yeah, I believe it is what you were brought up with.

My wife and I are originally from the center of South Africa, pretty much nothing goes on there, most people don't even know it exists. I spent most of my time fishing and camping as a kid.

We have lived in London for the past 10 years. I have loved my time here, and I am glad we tried it for the experience. Definitely the capital of the world in my opinion, but now that we have kids we would like to go back to a quieter, more outdoor lifestyle.

I have friends in Perth who moved there 5 years ago, they come from the same town as me in SA and they are loving it there.

Although saying that I have been to Melbourne, and it is also awesome.

''Although saying that I have been to Melbourne, and it is also awesome.''

It is, so long as you can afford to live in a few choice suburbs and not be relegated to a $500k shack in the far flung (60km)  public transport-less outburbs.  Which is why we have more or less moved back to the UK,  bought a proper house, dont really need too much work between now and pension (unemployable in Melbourne due to being circa 60yo but would have had to have gone on the dole given another year or two of unemployment) have easy transport links to small cities, Stansted airport direct and London in just over an hour,  however still  have to spend far too much time here for sick family reasons.

Did 2 years in Perth back in the 70's, was tumbleweed city then and suspect that if all the benefit of the mining construction boom wears off it will be again sometime in the future.

4 hours ago, Steve99 said:

Did 2 years in Perth back in the 70's, was tumbleweed city then and suspect that if all the benefit of the mining construction boom wears off it will be again sometime in the future.

No chance, there is still a lot of money in Perth and the resources industry is picking up again.

5 hours ago, Steve99 said:

''Although saying that I have been to Melbourne, and it is also awesome.''

It is, so long as you can afford to live in a few choice suburbs and not be relegated to a $500k shack in the far flung (60km)  public transport-less outburbs.  .

It's still only two-thirds the price of houses in Sydney.

On 02/02/2018 at 18:39, Sandgroper said:

You are not missing anything, if you are the sort that needs the attractions (and issues/crime) of big cities like London or Melbourne (couldn't think of anything worse personally) then Perth definitely isn't for you though. Plenty to do and see if you look with more than enough travel options both domestically and internationally.

If you love the beach/hills/bush lifestyle, the outdoors and IMO one of the best climates anywhere in the world Perth is perfect. It's got a lot going for it if you can be bothered to look great place to bring up kids which is what I'm doing.

And you are absolutely right about the traffic..............a breeze even compared to some small towns let a lone big UK cities.

I had my first taste of Sydney driving in 10 months on Thursday and Saturday last week when I got cars from Go Get - I don't think they operate in Perth yet - might start a thread up about Go Get if there's not one existing? - They are all over the inner city, with one right outside my flat and others within a couple of hundred metres. Since my car failed the rego in April last year I've driven 3 times in Sydney, 2 of them last week.

I'm waffling, sorry. What is it like driving in Sydney outside the peak times? There is no "outside the peak times" except perhaps after midnight. I drove to International via Elizabeth and O'Riordan Sts - could have gone up Cleveland St to the motorway - which was easy enough but driving from International to Coogee was horrible especially along Gardeners Road. I wanted to show my cousin the Opera House from the bottom of Macquarie St - went round the roundabout twice - then dropped her off at her hotel on George St and Quay Sts which I thought would be easy except you cannot turn right out of Eddy Ave into George St now because of the never ending light rail works so I had to go down Broadway looking for a right turn - at Mountain St, then come back.

Saturday, I picked her up from her hotel - the Rendevous - and we went over the Bridge - not the most pleasant drive along George St and then I think York, then Milsons Point, Neutral Bay, Middle Head, Balmoral, Manly, Collaroy Plateau (for one of the largely unknown fantastic views over the Northern Beaches), Sands Hotel at Narrabeen, then a mega drive up Powderworks Road to Mona Vale Road over the Pacific Highway, M2/M7 out to where my other brother lives near Camden, then I drove home along the M5 which was clear but I wouldn't like to live 60 km out of Sydney.

Most of that driving was a chore - in my experience you don't "go for a drive" in Sydney, you endure the roads to get from A to B whilst in Perth, in my seven weeks there, it was largely very pleasant to go out "for a drive." Perhaps it was partly during the holidays and there was less traffic but again it's the same in Sydney and still nasty.

I'm hoping to go back to Perth in May for five weeks for a second look to see if I still like it. At the moment I may just be feeling nostalgic for a recent holiday. I know that I could apply for a transfer with my job but I might wait a bit until after that second trip.

I was talking to a guy last night who thought that the direct flights from UK to Perth, which I think start next month, might have a positive effect on Perth's economy - turning into more of a hub?

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:55, MARYROSE02 said:

I had my first taste of Sydney driving in 10 months on Thursday and Saturday last week when I got cars from Go Get - I don't think they operate in Perth yet - might start a thread up about Go Get if there's not one existing? - They are all over the inner city, with one right outside my flat and others within a couple of hundred metres. Since my car failed the rego in April last year I've driven 3 times in Sydney, 2 of them last week.

I'm waffling, sorry. What is it like driving in Sydney outside the peak times? There is no "outside the peak times" except perhaps after midnight. I drove to International via Elizabeth and O'Riordan Sts - could have gone up Cleveland St to the motorway - which was easy enough but driving from International to Coogee was horrible especially along Gardeners Road. I wanted to show my cousin the Opera House from the bottom of Macquarie St - went round the roundabout twice - then dropped her off at her hotel on George St and Quay Sts which I thought would be easy except you cannot turn right out of Eddy Ave into George St now because of the never ending light rail works so I had to go down Broadway looking for a right turn - at Mountain St, then come back.

Saturday, I picked her up from her hotel - the Rendevous - and we went over the Bridge - not the most pleasant drive along George St and then I think York, then Milsons Point, Neutral Bay, Middle Head, Balmoral, Manly, Collaroy Plateau (for one of the largely unknown fantastic views over the Northern Beaches), Sands Hotel at Narrabeen, then a mega drive up Powderworks Road to Mona Vale Road over the Pacific Highway, M2/M7 out to where my other brother lives near Camden, then I drove home along the M5 which was clear but I wouldn't like to live 60 km out of Sydney.

Most of that driving was a chore - in my experience you don't "go for a drive" in Sydney, you endure the roads to get from A to B whilst in Perth, in my seven weeks there, it was largely very pleasant to go out "for a drive." Perhaps it was partly during the holidays and there was less traffic but again it's the same in Sydney and still nasty.

I'm hoping to go back to Perth in May for five weeks for a second look to see if I still like it. At the moment I may just be feeling nostalgic for a recent holiday. I know that I could apply for a transfer with my job but I might wait a bit until after that second trip.

I was talking to a guy last night who thought that the direct flights from UK to Perth, which I think start next month, might have a positive effect on Perth's economy - turning into more of a hub?

I didn't realise you were thinking of a move?  I think Perth has and is changing, I know all the people I know think that Elizabeth Quay has been a great addition and the hotel being there I think will add to the attraction of the place being able to stay right on the river.  I'm hoping that our new stadium will get some national events - or people just curious to come to it following their AFL team when they may not have travelled to Subi.  

On 2/16/2018 at 09:58, ali said:

I didn't realise you were thinking of a move?  I think Perth has and is changing, I know all the people I know think that Elizabeth Quay has been a great addition and the hotel being there I think will add to the attraction of the place being able to stay right on the river.  I'm hoping that our new stadium will get some national events - or people just curious to come to it following their AFL team when they may not have travelled to Subi.  

I am listening to  Curtin Radio on line as I am writing this. It became my equal favourite station - together with JJJ - when I was in Perth. Depending upon my mood I either wanted oldies but goldies, or new stuff.

I've booked a second trip to Perth, at least a hire car from "No Birds" and accommodation although I've cancelled two bookings and now on a third - Booking.com let's you cancel for free provided you have not taken the cheaper but no refund option. I am going to fly on 28 April but I've not booked with Qantas yet in case I ask for an extra week off work. At the moment I'm coming back to Sydney on 3 June.

I was interested in the new stadium because it reminds me of Tottenham's new stadium which, hopefully, will be ready for the start of the next EPL season and is a similar size - 62 000, and maybe a similar cost - $1.6B v, with the inevitable blow outs, close to GBP1B (No pound sign on my keyboard). I took some photos from ?Elizabeth Quays? Victoria Quays? The much hated (by me) Chelsea are coming out to play there. I wonder if this is sold out yet? - Sunday, April 29
Fremantle v
West Coast Eagles
2:40PM

I could apply for a transfer with my job but it also means "burning my bridges" whereas the other option, assuming I still like it, is to work for 3 months then take a month off. Last year, after my cruise in August, I worked for 3 1/2 months then went to Perth from 9 Dec to 28 Jan and now i'm working for 13 weeks and then coming to Perth for 5 or 6 weeks. Then, projecting, 3 months in Sydney and then spring (and wildflowers?) in Perth, then 3 months in Sydney and Xmas to OZ Day in Perth? Three month's rent on my UK home pays for a month's accommodation in Perth.

On my first visit I was at two places in South Perth - Assured I think on Melville Pde and then, Peninsular on South Perth Esp, both nice, especially the latter, but also dear. I've been looking at places on the Perth City side of the river.

This was my first choice which looks nice but then I thought it was too far to walk into the city.

Tribe Perth

4 Walker Avenue, West Perth, Perth, 6005, Australia -

Second choice but then I had second thoughts, though it is very handy to No Birds.

Comfort Inn & Suites Goodearth Perth

195 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth, Perth, 6004, Australia -

Third choice -

Riverview on Mount Street

42 Mount Street, West Perth, Perth, 6000, Australia -

From this one I can walk into the city over the freeway and also walk the other way (or cycle if I ever get back on a bike) to Kings Park. Plus, having walked it once the other way, I could walk to South Perth to "my" Windsor hotel which I went to almost every night. I can get onto the freeway quickly and over to Applecross to see my friend. This one is relatively cheap - $110 a day. I thought about Air BnB or similar - some of the booking sites have lots of apartments - but I think I still prefer to be in an apartment-hotel, and definitely not in a private home though my friend loves doing that.

I loved Perth when I first arrived in November, 1978, but I couldn't get a job. I just pulled my 1978 diary out, and I quote, "My first impressions of Perth are really good. I like it and I want to stay."

There was a brochure about Perth in the Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday pushing Perth as a stop over on the way to or from the UK now the non-stop flights are starting next month. To anybody who still pumps out that tired old line about "Perth being the most isolated city in the world" (or is the "Southern Hemisphere) I always say "but it's so much closer to Europe" and it's not as if you need to go to the "eastern states" for anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 00:30, MARYROSE02 said:

So? What am I missing?!

Everyone is different. Perth is a beautiful city but in my opinion it's only awesome for families and retirees. Lots of people like it but most people I know would not live there for any of the following reasons:

* it's a 6 hour flight from the East coast and airfares are expensive. This is an issue for people who regularly fly to other capital cities to visit family, friends, go to a concert or big event (or want to holiday interstate).

* there are limited jobs. A lot of people moved there for work during the mining boom and a lot of them are now looking for work elsewhere (due to a downturn in the mining industry) because there aren't many jobs in Perth.

* it's a big country town with lots of conservative and narrow-minded people (similar to Brisbane actually but a bit worse in my experience).

* it's sleepy and dull compared to other capital cities. The city is empty after 6 pm, pubs close early (struggled to find a pub in the city open on Sunday afternoon about 3 years ago).

The people who don't like Perth usually prefer a bit more of a happening vibe or like knowing that they are only a 1 or 2 hour flight away from other cities.

20 minutes ago, Goofy2018 said:

Everyone is different. Perth is a beautiful city but in my opinion it's only awesome for families and retirees. Lots of people like it but most people I know would not live there for any of the following reasons:

* it's a 6 hour flight from the East coast and airfares are expensive. This is an issue for people who regularly fly to other capital cities to visit family, friends, go to a concert or big event (or want to holiday interstate).

* there are limited jobs. A lot of people moved there for work during the mining boom and a lot of them are now looking for work elsewhere (due to a downturn in the mining industry) because there aren't many jobs in Perth.

* it's a big country town with lots of conservative and narrow-minded people (similar to Brisbane actually but a bit worse in my experience).

* it's sleepy and dull compared to other capital cities. The city is empty after 6 pm, pubs close early (struggled to find a pub in the city open on Sunday afternoon about 3 years ago).

The people who don't like Perth usually prefer a bit more of a happening vibe or like knowing that they are only a 1 or 2 hour flight away from other cities.

I guess it's a subjective thing - whether you like or dislike a place. I live in Sydney and love living in Sydney but Sydney has disadvantages which I was not conscious of until I went to Perth, especially the horrible traffic and crowds in Sydney.

It's actually a five hour (and five minutes) flight from Sydney to Perth and less coming the other way because of the tail wind - under four hours in my case. I am planning to fly over to Perth every three months which will cost me $800 return on Qantas, a bit cheaper actually depending on the flights and there's no way I'm going on Jet Star. I don't need to go to other states and Perth is not remote the way an outback town is remote. You don't need to go to Sydney to get an operation or a university.

In many ways I simply re-created my Sydney life in Perth. I live in Surry Hills which is an inner city suburb with plenty going on, especially being in the heart of Mardi Gras territory. I have three of four pubs and a couple of cafes here which are my "locals" and I did the same thing in South Perth although there's just the one pub there (apart from another bar in Angelo Road too far for me to walk at night) - the Windsor hotel.

I can't say that I noticed that I was living in the heart of red-neck ville surrrounded by homophobic, mysoginist racists. The bar staff were exactly the same as the ones who work in my Surry Hills pubs. I don't have a problem with conservative people or "lefties" although I usually end up arguing with "lefties." 

Yes, the pubs do close earlier than in Sydney. The Windsor was mostly done by 1030-11pm during the week and I'm used to sometimes going out at midnight in Sydney but then again, the pubs in my village in England were all closed by 11pm. I just went out earlier in the day. But there was no problem for me in finding a pub open on a Sunday arvo - the Windsor for one and I found a good place in Victoria Park and I'm sure there is plenty happening around Northbridge.

I'll see what Perth is like the second time around. Maybe I won't like it and I'll realize that I want to stay in Sydney. Perth has two AFL teams just like Sydney although I watch most of my sport on TV. If I wanted to watch an EPL game live then I went to the casino if it was late at night when the pubs are closed. I'm sure if I was heavily into an arty/theatre/classical music scene, whilst not as varied as Sydney, I could find something. Perth does have theatres and concert halls, right? 

On 18/02/2018 at 06:50, MARYROSE02 said:

I am listening to  Curtin Radio on line as I am writing this. It became my equal favourite station - together with JJJ - when I was in Perth. Depending upon my mood I either wanted oldies but goldies, or new stuff.

I've booked a second trip to Perth, at least a hire car from "No Birds" and accommodation although I've cancelled two bookings and now on a third - Booking.com let's you cancel for free provided you have not taken the cheaper but no refund option. I am going to fly on 28 April but I've not booked with Qantas yet in case I ask for an extra week off work. At the moment I'm coming back to Sydney on 3 June.

I was interested in the new stadium because it reminds me of Tottenham's new stadium which, hopefully, will be ready for the start of the next EPL season and is a similar size - 62 000, and maybe a similar cost - $1.6B v, with the inevitable blow outs, close to GBP1B (No pound sign on my keyboard). I took some photos from ?Elizabeth Quays? Victoria Quays? The much hated (by me) Chelsea are coming out to play there. I wonder if this is sold out yet? - Sunday, April 29
Fremantle v
West Coast Eagles
2:40PM

I could apply for a transfer with my job but it also means "burning my bridges" whereas the other option, assuming I still like it, is to work for 3 months then take a month off. Last year, after my cruise in August, I worked for 3 1/2 months then went to Perth from 9 Dec to 28 Jan and now i'm working for 13 weeks and then coming to Perth for 5 or 6 weeks. Then, projecting, 3 months in Sydney and then spring (and wildflowers?) in Perth, then 3 months in Sydney and Xmas to OZ Day in Perth? Three month's rent on my UK home pays for a month's accommodation in Perth.

On my first visit I was at two places in South Perth - Assured I think on Melville Pde and then, Peninsular on South Perth Esp, both nice, especially the latter, but also dear. I've been looking at places on the Perth City side of the river.

This was my first choice which looks nice but then I thought it was too far to walk into the city.

Tribe Perth

4 Walker Avenue, West Perth, Perth, 6005, Australia -

Second choice but then I had second thoughts, though it is very handy to No Birds.

Comfort Inn & Suites Goodearth Perth

195 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth, Perth, 6004, Australia -

Third choice -

Riverview on Mount Street

42 Mount Street, West Perth, Perth, 6000, Australia -

From this one I can walk into the city over the freeway and also walk the other way (or cycle if I ever get back on a bike) to Kings Park. Plus, having walked it once the other way, I could walk to South Perth to "my" Windsor hotel which I went to almost every night. I can get onto the freeway quickly and over to Applecross to see my friend. This one is relatively cheap - $110 a day. I thought about Air BnB or similar - some of the booking sites have lots of apartments - but I think I still prefer to be in an apartment-hotel, and definitely not in a private home though my friend loves doing that.

I loved Perth when I first arrived in November, 1978, but I couldn't get a job. I just pulled my 1978 diary out, and I quote, "My first impressions of Perth are really good. I like it and I want to stay."

There was a brochure about Perth in the Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday pushing Perth as a stop over on the way to or from the UK now the non-stop flights are starting next month. To anybody who still pumps out that tired old line about "Perth being the most isolated city in the world" (or is the "Southern Hemisphere) I always say "but it's so much closer to Europe" and it's not as if you need to go to the "eastern states" for anything.

Last year the weather in May and June was fantastic winter didn’t kick in until July hope it’s the same for you this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I guess it's a subjective thing - whether you like or dislike a place. I live in Sydney and love living in Sydney but Sydney has disadvantages which I was not conscious of until I went to Perth, especially the horrible traffic and crowds in Sydney.

It's actually a five hour (and five minutes) flight from Sydney to Perth and less coming the other way because of the tail wind - under four hours in my case. I am planning to fly over to Perth every three months which will cost me $800 return on Qantas, a bit cheaper actually depending on the flights and there's no way I'm going on Jet Star. I don't need to go to other states and Perth is not remote the way an outback town is remote. You don't need to go to Sydney to get an operation or a university.

In many ways I simply re-created my Sydney life in Perth. I live in Surry Hills which is an inner city suburb with plenty going on, especially being in the heart of Mardi Gras territory. I have three of four pubs and a couple of cafes here which are my "locals" and I did the same thing in South Perth although there's just the one pub there (apart from another bar in Angelo Road too far for me to walk at night) - the Windsor hotel.

I can't say that I noticed that I was living in the heart of red-neck ville surrrounded by homophobic, mysoginist racists. The bar staff were exactly the same as the ones who work in my Surry Hills pubs. I don't have a problem with conservative people or "lefties" although I usually end up arguing with "lefties." 

Yes, the pubs do close earlier than in Sydney. The Windsor was mostly done by 1030-11pm during the week and I'm used to sometimes going out at midnight in Sydney but then again, the pubs in my village in England were all closed by 11pm. I just went out earlier in the day. But there was no problem for me in finding a pub open on a Sunday arvo - the Windsor for one and I found a good place in Victoria Park and I'm sure there is plenty happening around Northbridge.

I'll see what Perth is like the second time around. Maybe I won't like it and I'll realize that I want to stay in Sydney. Perth has two AFL teams just like Sydney although I watch most of my sport on TV. If I wanted to watch an EPL game live then I went to the casino if it was late at night when the pubs are closed. I'm sure if I was heavily into an arty/theatre/classical music scene, whilst not as varied as Sydney, I could find something. Perth does have theatres and concert halls, right? 

I agree it's very subjective. One person might really dislike something whereas someone else might really love the same thing. Everyone on here can really only comment on their own experience, others will just have to make up their mind and figure out what works best for them. 

Perth has all the facilities of a big city incl. hospitals and cultural events. Fremantle is lovely, Rottnest Island is great for a day trip, there are lovely beaches nearby, it has dry heat instead of humidity etc. And yes there are some cool bars and restaurants, especially around Northbridge. 

For me personally it's the feel of a city that makes or breaks it for me. I love a happening vibe and I want to be out and about a lot doing stuff and meeting people, but for me Perth is a bit limiting in that regard. I could only ever live there for a couple of years or so before I'd get super bored. 

I also really like cooler weather actually and having 4 proper seasons. 

Anyway, give it a try and see whether it's for you or not ☺️.

4 minutes ago, Goofy2018 said:

I agree it's very subjective. One person might really dislike something whereas someone else might really love the same thing. Everyone on here can really only comment on their own experience, others will just have to make up their mind and figure out what works best for them. 

Perth has all the facilities of a big city incl. hospitals and cultural events. Fremantle is lovely, Rottnest Island is great for a day trip, there are lovely beaches nearby, it has dry heat instead of humidity etc. And yes there are some cool bars and restaurants, especially around Northbridge. 

For me personally it's the feel of a city that makes or breaks it for me. I love a happening vibe and I want to be out and about a lot doing stuff and meeting people, but for me Perth is a bit limiting in that regard. I could only ever live there for a couple of years or so before I'd get super bored. 

I also really like cooler weather actually and having 4 proper seasons. 

Anyway, give it a try and see whether it's for you or not ☺️.

If I do May and September I'll be able to put it together with Dec/Jan. Perhaps I will tire of it. I could not get over how relatively easy it is to drive there. Driving in Sydney is just traffic light to traffic light (always on red) and jam to jam unless it's late at night but in Perth I could go out on the freeway at 730 in the morning and it was a breeze, unlike Sydney and the M27 in Southampton.

I'm not quite game to "burn my bridges" and leave Sydney permanently. If I did not have a job I like, maybe, but this job just suits me, 4pm to 9pm Mon to Friday. I don't want to retire. I have mornings and early arvo free and I can go to the pub at 10pm (but not in Perth!!!)

I've done England to Australia, Australia to England, and England to Australia again, 18 years, 

9 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If I do May and September I'll be able to put it together with Dec/Jan. Perhaps I will tire of it. I could not get over how relatively easy it is to drive there. Driving in Sydney is just traffic light to traffic light (always on red) and jam to jam unless it's late at night but in Perth I could go out on the freeway at 730 in the morning and it was a breeze, unlike Sydney and the M27 in Southampton.

I'm not quite game to "burn my bridges" and leave Sydney permanently. If I did not have a job I like, maybe, but this job just suits me, 4pm to 9pm Mon to Friday. I don't want to retire. I have mornings and early arvo free and I can go to the pub at 10pm (but not in Perth!!!)

I've done England to Australia, Australia to England, and England to Australia again, 18 years, 

I can imagine that traffic in Perth is much better compared to Sydney. Like you say, don't burn any bridges yet but get a feel for the place. Good luck ☺️.

On 05/02/2018 at 12:38, s713 said:

The waters South of the river are less prone currents and rips as they are in sounds Cockburn and Warnbro, generally much safer swimming than NOR.

On 27/01/2018 at 00:37, Tulip1 said:

Exactly AJ. I never really get that quote. Sure it is isolated geographically but I bet most people throughout the world spend almost all of their time within a 40 mile radius of where they live.  I do, I go to work, drive about to a few different shopping places as well as leisure places but most of my time it's within say a one hour journey of my home. I can't imagine most people living in Perth would be flying about and travelling hours every week if it wasn't so isolated so why does it make a difference. If you want to travel, book a flight. The other thing that throws me is when people say about the uk being so close to Europe as a reason to return/live there. It is of course but the vast majority of people fly there maybe once a year and that's often on an all inclusive to Majorca. You could be on any island.  Some I'm sure take full advantage of Europe but people say about the Europe thing as if they intend to pop over there every month and very few do.  Not sticking up for Perth, I live in the UK but Perth has got well over a million people living there and many things to do and see, people say it as if it's in the middle of a dessert. 

40 miles?! I would not go that far! Whether in my English village or my Sydney 'burb I spent/spend most of my time walking, or in the English village, easy cycling distance from my home.

People never talk about Hawaii being isolated even though it's like flying Sydney to Perth to get to California, and California to New York is also like flying from Perth to Sydney but people don't talk about how isolated it is there though I did hear my new fave comic Bill Burr referring to "fly over" states i.e. anywhere between California and New York State.

As far as Perth goes, most of the major international acts seem to include Perth on their Aussie/NZ tours. I suppose if you really need a culture fix you could fly over to Sydney or Melbourne for a holiday and do the opera/musical/theatre.

And of course far from being isolated, Perth is actually CLOSER to Europe and other parts of the world and direct flights to London start this month.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

40 miles?! I would not go that far! Whether in my English village or my Sydney 'burb I spent/spend most of my time walking, or in the English village, easy cycling distance from my home.

People never talk about Hawaii being isolated even though it's like flying Sydney to Perth to get to California, and California to New York is also like flying from Perth to Sydney but people don't talk about how isolated it is there though I did hear my new fave comic Bill Burr referring to "fly over" states i.e. anywhere between California and New York State.

As far as Perth goes, most of the major international acts seem to include Perth on their Aussie/NZ tours. I suppose if you really need a culture fix you could fly over to Sydney or Melbourne for a holiday and do the opera/musical/theatre.

And of course far from being isolated, Perth is actually CLOSER to Europe and other parts of the world and direct flights to London start this month.

I did read that Hawaii is actually the most isolated city ... or Auckland depending on what criteria they use .. they work it out by the nearest city with a population of x amount of people.  Perth is geographically nearer to Adelaide than either of those .. but probably  is the most isolated mainland city