Schools on 457's

Jimmy1100

I & Mrs am moving to Melbourne with kids ( under 5 years old) . My older child is 4.5 years and goes to school in the UK ( Reception Year) and I am little confused to the information I am getting on various sites.

Can someone confirm what is the process of applying for a kinder place ? Do we pay a charge for this if on 457 visas?
Would we be entitled for the free 15 hours childcare which the council provides, if on 457's?
What sort of charges are we looking at for the extended charges for my older child if we both intend to work full time?
Are kinder's connected to primary schools ? Would 457's be allowed to apply for council schools? if we do intend to pay a charge what will be the annual charges be?

I will appreciate if someone can advise us further?

Thanks,

Jimmy

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2018 at 10:53, Jimmy1100 said:

I & Mrs am moving to Melbourne with kids ( under 5 years old) . My older child is 4.5 years and goes to school in the UK ( Reception Year) and I am little confused to the information I am getting on various sites.

Can someone confirm what is the process of applying for a kinder place ? Do we pay a charge for this if on 457 visas?
Would we be entitled for the free 15 hours childcare which the council provides, if on 457's?
What sort of charges are we looking at for the extended charges for my older child if we both intend to work full time?
Are kinder's connected to primary schools ? Would 457's be allowed to apply for council schools? if we do intend to pay a charge what will be the annual charges be?

Thanks,

Jimmy

On 23/01/2018 at 10:53, Jimmy1100 said:

Thanks,

Jimmy

In Victoria temporary visa holders are not charged school fees - other than those everyone else pays. That’s basically your “voluntary contribution “, visiting teachers, excursions, stationery, special programs etc.

Schools have a priority enrolment area and government schools (there are no council schools) are obliged to find a place for a child living within that area. They will need to see evidence of your permanent accommodation, plus evidence of the child’s date of birth, visa status and vaccinations.  You don’t need to apply ahead of time just rock up once you’ve got your rental sorted.

The cut off date for Victoria is 30 April so if your child is 4.5 now and you are going next week, they wouldn’t be in full time school but in a part time preschool program until Jan 2019. If they turn 5 before 30 April then they could be in full time school this year.

You won’t get any child care benefits as a temporary resident. Not sure about the free 15 hours of preschool - most places that provide care before school age are user pays day care centres. You can reckon on around $100-120 a day (more if the kids are babies) and finding a place in a child care centre can be a whole other challenge.

Edited to say, doesn’t look like you’ll get free preschool http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/childhood/providers/comms/kinderfeesub.pdf

Edited by Quoll

Also bear in mind that whilst Victoria doesn’t currently charge holders of 457 visas it may well come into line with other states and start doing so.

both SA and WA introduced charging and this applied to current holders of visas already in the state as well as new applicants, although I believe there was a period of grace in SA at least.

fees vary from state to state but are around 5-6k per year for primary. 

• Like 1