Do they stop and grill every Pom with a one way ticket at AUS airports?

SheldonMeldrew

Hello, perhaps some of you fine people will be willing to offer advice on this problem for me...

I'm an Englishman, late thirties, I met and fell for an Australian divorcee in England 3 years ago (although we never officially lived together). Her father has cancer, so, one year ago she flew back to Australia to stay. She had been in England for a long time and had settled here, married and had kids with another English guy. 

Anyway, I was talking to Agents about visa applications until she said don't bother, she had spoken to a member of staff at the Embassy in Sydney who told her this: We can apply for a spouse visa while I'm in Australia, all I need is to bring at least $1600 and show that I have been working and have no major character history or health issues. We can then get married later this year. 

Oh, and I could go into work soon after arriving for her brother's company. (Although I quibbled and doubted all this).

Still with me? Cool. ?

I'll get to the point, my fiancee said I won't be allowed to stay if the immigration customs border protection people (I'm not sure what to call them!) see that I have not been working regularly and have been moving from one job to another in 2017 (I had held jobs down for years prior to 2017) my trade is in Health and Social Care. It's not on the SOL list. I'm not a nurse or anything, just a support worker/healthcare assistant type of guy.

So, my question is...Does every single person entering Australia get stopped and hassled if they come in with a one way ticket? Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

32 minutes ago, SheldonMeldrew said:

Hello, perhaps some of you fine people will be willing to offer advice on this problem for me...

I'm an Englishman, late thirties, I met and fell for an Australian divorcee in England 3 years ago (although we never officially lived together). Her father has cancer, so, one year ago she flew back to Australia to stay. She had been in England for a long time and had settled here, married and had kids with another English guy. 

Anyway, I was talking to Agents about visa applications until she said don't bother, she had spoken to a member of staff at the Embassy in Sydney who told her this: We can apply for a spouse visa while I'm in Australia, all I need is to bring at least $1600 and show that I have been working and have no major character history or health issues. We can then get married later this year. 

Oh, and I could go into work soon after arriving for her brother's company. (Although I quibbled and doubted all this).

Still with me? Cool. ?

I'll get to the point, my fiancee said I won't be allowed to stay if the immigration customs border protection people (I'm not sure what to call them!) see that I have not been working regularly and have been moving from one job to another in 2017 (I had held jobs down for years prior to 2017) my trade is in Health and Social Care. It's not on the SOL list. I'm not a nurse or anything, just a support worker/healthcare assistant type of guy.

So, my question is...Does every single person entering Australia get stopped and hassled if they come in with a one way ticket? Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

So, firstly, no they don't stop every person coming on a one-way ticket. That's the easy part of your post.

she had spoken to a member of staff at the Embassy in Sydney who told her this:

What embassy in Sydney?  Australia does not have an embassy in Sydney.

We can apply for a spouse visa while I'm in Australia, all I need is to bring at least $1600 and show that I have been working and have no major character history or health issues. We can then get married later this year. 

Rubbish. Sorry but it is.

If you had lived together (or could prove very good reasons and a strong relationship while forced to live apart) then you could theoretically arrive as a tourist then apply for a Spouse Visa on the grounds of de facto. But you haven't lived together. You are not a de facto couple. If you plan to marry later in the year you could apply for a Prospective marriage visa but you need to do that OFFSHORE. Not in Australia. Or you could arrive on a tourist visa, marry, and apply for a Spouse Visa on the grounds of marriage - but you would have to do all that before the tourist visa expires. 

No idea where $1600 comes from, the fee for a Spouse Visa is $7000, just for the visa application. You do not need to bring any money with you. 

Whether you have been working is completely irrelevant to getting a Spouse Visa. You could have never worked in your life and still get one if you meet the real requirements. 

Character and health issues do come into it, for a Spouse Visa you will need a medical, and a police check. Your partner will also need a police check. You will need to provide proof of the relationship. 

I won't be allowed to stay if the immigration customs border protection people (I'm not sure what to call them!) see that I have not been working regularly and have been moving from one job to another in 2017 (I had held jobs down for years prior to 2017) my trade is in Health and Social Care. It's not on the SOL list. I'm not a nurse or anything, just a support worker/healthcare assistant type of guy.

Oh, and I could go into work soon after arriving for her brother's company.

If you arrive on a tourist visa DOHA at the point of entry will not ask (nor will they care) how many jobs you've had, or where you have been working. They will just want to be sure if you arrive as a tourist that you are not planning to work - so forget the idea of working fpr her brother's company. If you apply for a Spouse Visa after getting married then you can start working once the tourist visa expires, as you would go on to a Bridging Visa until your Spouse Visa is granted. 

• Like 2

Apply for a PMV offshore now and do the right thing. You run the risk of being turned around at the border should you rock up on a tourist visa with no intention of being a tourist (that way a 3 year ban lies!). Be prepared to shell out a lot of money. The spouse visa ain’t cheap these days.

Nemesis pretty much said it all.

Your plan doesn’t sound at all good. You really need to read up on the partner visa and what it entails as right now, your case sounds very weak and your ideas poor.

A PMV may be the best way forward. The requirements for that at a lot less. It is an off shore visa application.

Fwiw, agents post on here letting us know that it is quite common for partner visas to be refused. Lack of evidence of de facto and other things. From what you have posted, you don’t appear to have met or meet the requirements.  

I don’t understand. You posted back last April asking about the PMV and have had ample time to apply and probably would have had it granted by now or at least before March. 

I think you are planning on registering the relationship once in Aus if you enter on a tourist visa to waive the 12 month cohabitation aspect. Be aware you still need to prove de facto in all the other ways still though. A shared life together. Do you have ongoing evidence to support this? 

You’ve asked for and been given advice and have chosen not to apply for a PMV in the past 8 months. Now you are trying to see if there is a way to get round the system re this idea above.

I’m done giving my time on this further.