It got real... job offer accepted - IM COMING!

Jd295

Well,

Tonight I’ve accepted a job offer, I’m slightly terrified! I’ve lived in Liverpool for 4 years, own a small house and have a huge group of amazing friends. I always knew I’d move away sometime, this is the longest I’ve been anywhere. I’m a compulsive explorer and mover.

I’m heading to Perth to manage a company, they assure me that the visa agent says as they are accredited it’s 2-3 weeks (priority based on business need). I’m skeptical, but with my notice period I could be there in 2 months!!

Due to location of two offices, frequent flying and wanting a decent social life, I’m looking around Vic Park. Has anyone any tips? Are the surrounding suburbs OK? Can you get a decent house (not apartment) that’s quite modern inside for ~$400 PW? So many are proper Aussi 1980s throwbacks I see online!!

Are there any rugby (union) clubs that play at a somewhat social level in the area? Im a bit rubbish and my commitment waivers with work, but it’s a big part of my life.

Minds running at a million miles an hour slightly terrified of leaving my good life, but i never miss an opportunity and can’t live with ‘what could have been’?

• Like 3

Don't be put off by the 80's throwbacks - I live in one and it's quite modern inside (honest lol).  Vic park will tend to be the older properties (if not apartments).   Perhaps get a holiday let initially so that you can look at the areas properly.

If you google ruby union perth - you'll come up with a number of clubs - just contact them and see if they do 'social' rugby. 

Don't be put off by the 80's throwbacks - I live in one and it's quite modern inside (honest lol).  Vic park will tend to be the older properties (if not apartments).   Perhaps get a holiday let initially so that you can look at the areas properly.
If you google ruby union perth - you'll come up with a number of clubs - just contact them and see if they do 'social' rugby. 

Thanks!

They’ve offered 1 month accom, but my container will be 3- so unless I can push them I’d be in AirBnBs for a while!

Anywhere south of river but not too far from CBD that’s a good balance of nice/affordable? 2-3 bed is perfect.

Looks like you’re coming on a temporary visa so rent out your house, take a career break and enjoy the ride. When you get there, do the eyeball test for the area you think you might want to live in (I suggest find the hub of the suburb, sit down with a coffee and watch the world go by, to see if it’s “your” world) - and if you think there are houses that look a bit old on the real estate websites, they’re probably going to look much worse in person!

• Like 1

Cheers. I’ll do some research.

My main office would be Maddington, with quite a bit in CBD and flying away a lot (east coast meetings).

Vic Park was a ‘pin in a map’ job.

Yes, I’ll be renting out my UK house (no profit from renting due to awe full mortgage, but I like the security). I’ll be in a 4 year visa, but the aim to to stay to become a citizen.

I’m very tempted to head over for a week when I start my gardening leave.

C’mon fast turn around visa.

5 minutes ago, Jd295 said:

My main office would be Maddington, with quite a bit in CBD and flying away a lot (east coast meetings).

Yes, I’ll be renting out my UK house (no profit from renting due to awe full mortgage, but I like the security). I’ll be in a 4 year visa, but the aim to to stay to become a citizen.

Oh God, don't consider coming for less that 2 - 3 weeks, it'll take 2 days to start feeling human again after the flight......

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2018 at 21:07, Drumbeat said:

Oh God, don't consider coming for less that 2 - 3 weeks, it'll take 2 days to start feeling human again after the flight......

In my previous jobs I did a lot of flying and have flown from the UK to Oz for as little as 24 hours in Oz and regularly 5-6 days, also have done the same going the other way once I moved here. Often jumped straight into work on arrival at both ends. It’s certainly do-able with the right mindset, but expensive! 

The worst was flying from Dubai to Melbourne arriving at 0800 for a meeting and being on the afternoon flight back to Dubai. 

In my previous jobs I did a lot of flying and have flown from the UK to Oz for as little as 24 hours in Oz and regularly 5-6 days, also have done the same going the other way once I moved here. Often jumped straight into work on arrival at both ends. It’s certainly do-able with the right mindset, but expensive! 
 The worst was flying from Dubai to Melbourne arriving at 0800 for a meeting and being on the afternoon flight back to Dubai. 

One of the exact reasons I’m taking this job! No more global remit.

I’ve been know to have meetings in Peru on a Monday, Zambia Wednesday and England Friday then back to Southern Africa the next Monday.

Economy class.

Australia’s a long flight, but I’m very used to it!

3 hours ago, CaptainR said:

2 hours ago, Jd295 said:

One of the exact reasons I’m taking this job! No more global remit.

I’ve been know to have meetings in Peru on a Monday, Zambia Wednesday and England Friday then back to Southern Africa the next Monday.

Economy class.

Australia’s a long flight, but I’m very used to it!

You're both obviously a lot younger than me :)  (and I fly business class these days!)

Vic Park (or East Vic Park) are great spots mate. 20-25 mins to Maddington, 15 mins to the airport and 10-15 mins via bus to the CBD. Plenty of cafes and restaurants with a sprinkling of pubs / bars too and more planned.

You should be able to pick up a decent unit up for $400-450 a week. The suburbs of Lathlain and Kensington border VP but tend to have more family sized homes and bigger blocks, therefore rents would be a touch more.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Jd295 said:

So, Visa arrived in record time  - looking to come the week before easter!

Seen a cool looking warehouse conversion ion East Perth - what's that area like? 

East Perth is a great spot if you want to be close to bars and restaurants and close to the city. You should definitely take a look around there.

• Like 1

Thanks Drumbeat.

The reality, nerves and emotions have now hit hard... what the hell am I doing? Giving up an amazing group of friends, non-profits I run and am emotionally tied to and aging parents for sun and money...

It'll pass. Just started my gardening leave. It's going to be a long month before I jump on the 16 hour flight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly slowly. After a few scary hiccups (the company I’ll be working for went silent for a week!) I’m in the final throws of sorting.

My UK house is destroyed by me sorting before movers come. I’m giving in an paying a cleaner when I leave.

Movers due Tuesday (and of course I’m away tomorrow until Monday), then fly the following Tuesday.

I’ll be there by Easter!

Anyone know any dirt cheap rent-a-bomb style places in Perth? My lease car won’t be sorted for a week or so, and I don’t want to be bored over Easter stuck in an apartment in South Perth.

Scary/excited/terrified...

• Like 2

Amazing news! Fingers crossed it all goes well for you (and keep us updated)

Can I ask what the company you'll be managing does? Did they headhunt you or did you find a role to apply for? 

Having a job before you go must make it so much easier :) 

It’s a company that provides services to the mineral export industry. 

I applied directly, it’s a direct promotion from what I did before elsewhere. 

Movers have just been, house is a tip now! Just running around with a paintbrush touching up before I take stuff to the dump and start cleaning (I have a week thankfully). 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
22 hours ago, JohnfromPom said:

It’s a company that provides services to the mineral export industry. 

I applied directly, it’s a direct promotion from what I did before elsewhere. 

Movers have just been, house is a tip now! Just running around with a paintbrush touching up before I take stuff to the dump and start cleaning (I have a week thankfully). 

How exciting @JohnfromPom you will be ready for a break when you get here.

On 3/15/2018 at 20:56, Jd295 said:

Slowly slowly. After a few scary hiccups (the company I’ll be working for went silent for a week!) I’m in the final throws of sorting.

My UK house is destroyed by me sorting before movers come. I’m giving in an paying a cleaner when I leave.

Movers due Tuesday (and of course I’m away tomorrow until Monday), then fly the following Tuesday.

I’ll be there by Easter!

Anyone know any dirt cheap rent-a-bomb style places in Perth? My lease car won’t be sorted for a week or so, and I don’t want to be bored over Easter stuck in an apartment in South Perth.

Scary/excited/terrified...

Try these two they are opposite each other out Freo way but easy to get to by bus, I used the top one between cars a couple of years back dirt cheap!!

Fremantle world of cars http://www.fremantlecarhire.com/ 

image.png.fca6ca8acc4d5848e37f99c92b269caf.png

Or Backpacker car rentals http://www.backpackercarrentals.com.au/

image.png.725b8de045ecf4b0ce85dfb84d0b35b9.png

3 hours ago, Jd295 said:

I like the look of freo, but I want to be a reasonable drunk taxi ride from CBD bars. I'm going crazy now... so much to do, so little time. I've learned red wine helps to decorate...

We prefer Freo for bars. City is too spread out. Freo has tons of bars in easy walking distance.

• Like 1