You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Brianm93

My Dad lives there. Can I?

I don’t know much about these types of visas... So my Dad lives in Cairns, Queensland. He moved over on a marriage visa I think, his wife is Australian.

I’m 24, my partner is 28 and my son is 1 and a half. Is there any way I could move my family and I over permanently as my dad is a permanent resident? 

Can you or your partner apply for a skilled visa?

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

16 minutes ago, ali said:

Can you or your partner apply for a skilled visa?

Yeah I can apply for one, that’s the route I was going to go down but it seems very complicated, just looking to see if there’s an alternative through my Dad

Two options I know of, there may be more:

* Remaining Relative Visa, if your whole family is in Aus, (ie your mom and/or siblings are not in the UK) and you have no close family outside of Aus you can try this route, your dad will be able to sponsor you.

* If your job is on the list you can apply for a Skilled Points Tested Visa (189, 190 etc). You can claim 5 points for having close family in Aus

There may be more but this is the ones I know.

Nope, you’ve got your own family so you’re not a Last remaining relative, you’re  too old to be dependent and you can’t be anyway because you have your own family. Your only way in is going to be through your skills.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

Nope, you’ve got your own family so you’re not a Last remaining relative, you’re  too old to be dependent and you can’t be anyway because you have your own family. Your only way in is going to be through your skills.

Does the citizen by descent not apply? Does this only apply to kids born when you are a citizen?

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Does the citizen by descent not apply? Does this only apply to kids born when you are a citizen?

He said his Dad is a PR. No mention of him being a citizen.

I want it all, and I want it now.

17 minutes ago, newjez said:

Could take it out though in time.

The parent has to be an Australian citizen at the time of the child's birth for the child to get citizenship by descent.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

20 hours ago, lothar said:

Two options I know of, there may be more:

* Remaining Relative Visa, if your whole family is in Aus, (ie your mom and/or siblings are not in the UK) and you have no close family outside of Aus you can try this route, your dad will be able to sponsor you.

* If your job is on the list you can apply for a Skilled Points Tested Visa (189, 190 etc). You can claim 5 points for having close family in Aus

There may be more but this is the ones I know.

That is incorrect. Extra points for family only apply to the 489 family sponsored stream. 

Pas for remaining relative it has a wait time of 50 years. 

By far your best option is a skills visa. If you are finding it daunting then I would appoint a registered migration agent.