Gas engineer 189 visa

Brianm93

You do need to do a skills assessment which is a practical and written exam. This assessment is also very expensive (from memory without looking at paperwork it’s around the £1,300 mark or just shy of that). Google. There’s plenty of information about it all. Have you done a points assessment test, which tells you exactly how many points you currently sit at?
Then y did i get my 190 PR visa without a practical and written exam. In order to gain the qualification to work on your own in Australia u need to do one it's called certificate iii ...NOT FOR THE VISA. ONLY PROVE YOUR LEGIT BY SENDING EVIDENCE TO TRADES RECOGNISION AUSTRALIA IN CANBERA

Then y did i get my 190 PR visa without a practical and written exam. In order to gain the qualification to work on your own in Australia u need to do one it's called certificate iii ...NOT FOR THE VISA. ONLY PROVE YOUR LEGIT BY SENDING EVIDENCE TO TRADES RECOGNISION AUSTRALIA IN CANBERA

Why are you talking about the 190 visa? The poster has said he cannot apply for a 190 visa, only a 189 visa. So I am talking about a 189 visa here! I can’t comment on the 190 visa as have no knowledge of that.

Why are you talking about the 190 visa? The poster has said he cannot apply for a 190 visa, only a 189 visa. So I am talking about a 189 visa here! I can’t comment on the 190 visa as have no knowledge of that.
It's the same conditions....my friend obtained a 189 PR visa 3 years ago. Didn't sit a practical or written skills exam (for his trade-gasfitter/plumber) the only thing he had to do extra was the ielts exam as he didn't have required points.

The skills assessment is the same for 190 and 189.  Find your skill on the list and follow the link to the skills assessment agency for that skill.  It will tell you what is required.

Some skills just need proof of qualifications, some require work experience, some require an English test, some require a practical test and a few require all of these!

So what ANZCO number and title on the list are you planning to apply for?  This may well be different to other posters on this thread so their experience will be different.

Also look on the official sites for information Department of Home affairs for a start.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustraliaPlease said:

OP, if you want to get it right first time, speak to a Migration Agent who can advise you properly instead of all this conflicting advice and opinions.

Good luck with it all.

I agree that professional advice would be a good idea, but also rammygirl's post above this is very clear and correct about the process. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 19/01/2018 at 11:16, reevo39 said:

Hi Brian, I worked for British Gas for 12 years as a service and repair engineer on appliances, applied for a skilled 190 visa under the code for gas fitter. We are in Sydney in NSW, however there is only seasonal work (3-4 months) with gas fires, duct heaters etc. Hardly anyone has central heating as it's too hot....I've managed to get a job with a local plumbing and heating firm, but your correct I'll mainly be doing plumbing with I've not much experience in (bathrooms etc).....being honest I don't know what everyone is having problems. We applied for EOI I'm February 2017, sent off evidence got TRA (work evidence-qualifications etc) in March, had invite for visa in may and filled and sent everything over and it was granted on August 11st. We've been here since 5th November and would deffo recommend it...

Hi Mate 

I am a qualified gas engineer, and i have a few qualification with regards to plumbing such as unvented hot water cylinder etc ,i am hoping to immigrate to perth, but im a little confused as to which is the better route to go down ,Gas or plumbing ? i have  been working for a company for the last 12 years and as you know gas and plumbing go hand in hand here will it be better if i get my city and guild in plumbing over here before i get there or will time served be enough and i can just get a provisional licence when and if i get to auz and become a plumber /gas fitter any help will be much appreciated 

thanks mike

• 3 months later...
On 19/01/2018 at 11:16, reevo39 said:

Hi Brian, I worked for British Gas for 12 years as a service and repair engineer on appliances, applied for a skilled 190 visa under the code for gas fitter. We are in Sydney in NSW, however there is only seasonal work (3-4 months) with gas fires, duct heaters etc. Hardly anyone has central heating as it's too hot....I've managed to get a job with a local plumbing and heating firm, but your correct I'll mainly be doing plumbing with I've not much experience in (bathrooms etc).....being honest I don't know what everyone is having problems. We applied for EOI I'm February 2017, sent off evidence got TRA (work evidence-qualifications etc) in March, had invite for visa in may and filled and sent everything over and it was granted on August 11st. We've been here since 5th November and would deffo recommend it...

hi

i also work for british gas as a service and repair engineer (9 years) looking to move to australia on either a 189 or 190 visa.  Doing the skills assesment stuff at mo.  How did you get on with showing the work photos etc?  just wondered if you could put a bit of advice my way, feel free to msg me. how many pictures of work did you put through, and what you took pics of etc.  Any help would be great. thanks

• 1 year later...
On 23/01/2018 at 12:26, Josh bodz said:

Hi Brian. You need to pass a skills assessment . I’m a plumber and I’m half way through mine. Waiting for my practical in Blackburn in feb. You go through a company called vetassess. I used a company called the down under center.. they have helped me with all of my paperwork and send everything off to vetassess. They do all the hard work you just give them what they need. Makes life a lot easier.

How did you get on Josh? I’m currently waiting on my vetassess plumbing dates for Blackburn.