Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

Just so your aware, this is not regarding shipping and removals

I was wondering if someone could help me with the insurance side of things.

I am going on a Working Holiday Visa and I have been looking at insurance through various companies and they all seem to offer the same thing. For example, STA travel. They offer insurance, Standard, Premium etc. But it only involves repatriation back to the UK if injured. 

This has got me wondering, what if I am in Australia and I fall ill or involved in an accident? From my point of view, I will need to go to my local Australian doctor and seek advise or the local hospital to receive medical treatment. If I need prescribed medication, what do I do?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction on this. Are there any insurance companies that will cover me in Australia or will i have to enroll in their health services? How do I go about this?

Kind regards




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


If you're from the UK, then, as the UK and Australia has a reciprocal health care agreement, you would be covered for:

  • medically necessary care out of hospital
  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital
  • prescription medicines at a lower price - this is the general rate for drugs in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

among the things you wouldn't be covered for:

  • care that isn’t clinically essential
  • medicines that aren’t in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
  • private hospital care
  • public hospital care as a private patient
  • ambulance travel
  • dental care unless it’s in the Chronic Disease Management scheme
  • care from a physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, eye therapist, chiropractor, podiatrist or psychologist unless it’s in the Chronic Disease Management scheme
  • glasses and contact lenses
  • costs someone else is responsible for - for example an insurer, employer or government agency

There are other things which aren't covered as well.

Have a look at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/rhca-medical-care-visitors-australia

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/ do specialist travel insurance for backpackers and people on Working Holidays. Both their backpacker & Working Holiday policies do cover for emergency Medical Expenses outside home country.

I'd make sure you covered for ambulance cover if possible as that potentially can run into thousands in some states (especially if Air Ambulance is required).


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for the reply. I greatly appreciate it.


I have had a look for policies that do cover ambulance travel but I just cannot seem to find no insurance companies that do. 


Do you have any suggestions for this please?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now