Returning to UK on my own

Scousers1

2 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

Hi, things havent changed really. I am on a roller coaster of emotions and my daughter and i argue all the time which does not help. I understand she is scared that we will move back and i can see this is not helping either of us. Just feel like i am drowning?

I hope you are having counselling of some kind. At least for yourself.

TBH, without knowing all the ins and outs (and I don't need/want to btw) and just recalling some of what you've posted in the past, I'd be inclined to say you carry on and go as you have planned and let your daughter figure it out for herself in her own time. She is an adult and while she may hate the thought of you leaving to move back to the UK (even if its a try and see sort of move to test the waters for a while) she can't expect you continue to live your life in Aus for her, when you have clearly struggled so many years and are now saying its time you looked after yourself. 

Don't keep hashing over the same old same old with her, it doesn't get either of you anywhere. 

You made a decision, I'd go with it and make the move. It clearly isn't going to be a walk in the park to leave someone you love but honestly, given how things seem to be at present, it isn't doing either of you any good if you remain. It could well be your daughter actually surprises herself and you if you do make the move and starts to live her life a little more, stands on her own two feet and perhaps moves more into adulthood than she would if you stayed. Can she carry on living at home with her father? If so she still has that safety net and contact and he'll be around to keep an eye on things. You said a while back she had started going out more, staying with friends and so on, so surely that she is becoming more independent is a good thing in terms of her going and starting to live her own life (which lets face it is what we hope they will do once they are adults isn't it?).

(you can use your years of work in Australia to count towards a British aged pension).

Working in Australia does not count towards UK aged pension. It is dependent on how many years of contribution was made into the National Insurance Scheme.

2 hours ago, g1xgp said:

(you can use your years of work in Australia to count towards a British aged pension).

Working in Australia does not count towards UK aged pension. It is dependent on how many years of contribution was made into the National Insurance Scheme.

Not entirely true.  Your years of working in Australia before 2001 do count towards the UK pension.  You submit proof of your employment and you get credited NI contributions for those years.  But you have to be resident in the UK before you can claim.

• Like 1