Returning to UK on my own

Scousers1

I am unfortunately looking at returning to UK on my own later this year after 30 years in OZ. 

What do i need to start thinking about?

will i be able to get any assistance?

also, as i will be leaving hubby and daughter 19 here. 

What will i need to sort here?

i just cannot think right now

any ides much appreciated.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

I am unfortunately looking at returning to UK on my own later this year after 30 years in OZ. 

Where are you going to live?

The main thing you need to ask yourself is can you afford to go back and support yourself?

Will you need to rent, will you need to work to cover your day to day expenses? Are you entitled to any state pension if you have not lived in UK for 30 years. No idea if you would be entitled to any state assistance.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry it has got to this point, Scousers. 

Assuming you've got a current passport, there's no customs or immigration stuff to worry about.  You just get off the plane and you're home.   After that there is a lot to organise and the early months can be expensive, so make sure you've got a bit of money saved to tide you over.  It does get bewildering but you will get through it, especially if you've got family to hold your hand.

To get any assistance, you have to pass the Habitual Residency test, which you obviously can't do.  There may be some benefits you could still get, so it would be a good idea to go into the office when you arrive in the UK and see what can be done.  The worst that can happen is they say you'll have to wait a year or two.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/if-you-fail-the-habitual-residence-test/getting-support-if-you-fail-the-habitual-residence-test/

See if you can find your NI (National Insurance) number, you'll need it to claim benefits, aged pension etc.  

You'll need a NHS number, too, but don't worry - your GP will get one for you when you register,  if you didn't get one before you left (you might be like me, and left before they were introduced). 

Take evidence of all the jobs you've held in Australia because you'll need it (you can use your years of work in Australia to count towards a British aged pension).

Think about where you're going to live.  Can you stay with family for a while?  Because you've got no credit rating in the UK, landlords will demand you pay 6 months rent upfront if you're not working.   If you can't afford that,  you'll need somewhere to live until you've got a job and can show evidence of income.

One important tip:  Ask one of your UK relatives if you can use their address as a post box.  If they agree, change the address on your Australian credit card or bank account to their address two or three months before you go.  Don't put "c/-" and their name, just put your name and their address, so it looks like you live there.  Then make sure your bank sends you at least one statement at the new address before you go.  

The reason I say that is that you can't open a bank account until you can show them a bank statement or a utility bill in your name, with a UK address on it.  If you just wait, you won't be able to open a bank account until you've found a place to rent AND received  your first electricity bill, which could be weeks.  It takes a bit of brass neck to walk into the bank and pretend you're living somewhere you aren't, but they don't check up!

Keep your Australian bank account and credit card, because you'll have no credit rating, which means you can't get a UK credit card until you've got a job and can show evidence of a salary.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It takes more than a bit of brass neck to walk into a bank and pretend your living somewhere you aren't. Obtaining a bank account by deception is fraud and I'm rather shocked it has been suggested as a normal, ok thing to do.  

Edited by Tulip1

21 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

Can't really add to the advice but I hope it all works out well for you.

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Take evidence of all the jobs you've held in Australia because you'll need it (you can use your years of work in Australia to count towards a British aged pension

Can you Marisa? Do you have more info on this? Does part time work count?

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It takes more than a bit of brass neck to walk into a bank and pretend your living somewhere you aren't. Obtaining a bank account by deception is fraud and I'm rather shocked it has been suggested as a normal, ok thing to do.  

I understand this, but I have been in an awkward situation where a company owed me money, but they couldn't pay me because I didn't have an address to get a bank account, but I couldn't get an address because I needed the money the company owed me. I ended up borrowing money off a mate. Much better to arrange sufficient funds are in order, with reserves, so you don't get into awkward situations like this.

3 hours ago, newjez said:

I understand this, but I have been in an awkward situation where a company owed me money, but they couldn't pay me because I didn't have an address to get a bank account, but I couldn't get an address because I needed the money the company owed me. I ended up borrowing money off a mate. Much better to arrange sufficient funds are in order, with reserves, so you don't get into awkward situations like this.

I agree, you should also make sure you have sufficient funds so you don't NEED a bank account to get money.  However, one of the stressful things about moving countries is that long "to do" list that has to be ticked off.  The more boxes you can tick, the better you feel.   So setting things up so you can tick the "bank account" box early, instead of having to wait around for weeks, is worthwhile IMO.

There's a certain amount of circular stuff that goes on when you arrive. For instance, if you're lucky and get a job quickly, then the first thing you'll need is a bank account to get paid.  It's also a first step to establishing a credit score, which you need for so many things in the UK now, so the sooner the better. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Hi Scousers1, I am detecting a real element of sadness in your post.  Really don't want to speak out of turn, but it seems that you are planning to go, with a degree of reluctance.  If you're feeling that way now, when the time comes to leave your family behind you may well find it's just too big a wrench, so it would be a really positive move if you could address your mixed feelings and concerns now, perhaps with the help of a qualified professional, who will help you make the decision which is the very best one for you.  I feel for you very much as it's evident you're struggling on more than one level.   xx

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

I have booked in with someone but the strain is getting harder.

Please hang in there and talk things through with a professional first ... these big decisions really need to be made with a clear, healthy mindset.  I was in a very similar situation myself so really do understand what you are going through.

• Like 4

On 18/01/2018 at 13:19, Marisawright said:

I'm so sorry it has got to this point, Scousers. 

Assuming you've got a current passport, there's no customs or immigration stuff to worry about.  You just get off the plane and you're home.   After that there is a lot to organise and the early months can be expensive, so make sure you've got a bit of money saved to tide you over.  It does get bewildering but you will get through it, especially if you've got family to hold your hand.

To get any assistance, you have to pass the Habitual Residency test, which you obviously can't do.  There may be some benefits you could still get, so it would be a good idea to go into the office when you arrive in the UK and see what can be done.  The worst that can happen is they say you'll have to wait a year or two.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/if-you-fail-the-habitual-residence-test/getting-support-if-you-fail-the-habitual-residence-test/

See if you can find your NI (National Insurance) number, you'll need it to claim benefits, aged pension etc.  

You'll need a NHS number, too, but don't worry - your GP will get one for you when you register,  if you didn't get one before you left (you might be like me, and left before they were introduced). 

Take evidence of all the jobs you've held in Australia because you'll need it (you can use your years of work in Australia to count towards a British aged pension).

Think about where you're going to live.  Can you stay with family for a while?  Because you've got no credit rating in the UK, landlords will demand you pay 6 months rent upfront if you're not working.   If you can't afford that,  you'll need somewhere to live until you've got a job and can show evidence of income.

One important tip:  Ask one of your UK relatives if you can use their address as a post box.  If they agree, change the address on your Australian credit card or bank account to their address two or three months before you go.  Don't put "c/-" and their name, just put your name and their address, so it looks like you live there.  Then make sure your bank sends you at least one statement at the new address before you go.  

The reason I say that is that you can't open a bank account until you can show them a bank statement or a utility bill in your name, with a UK address on it.  If you just wait, you won't be able to open a bank account until you've found a place to rent AND received  your first electricity bill, which could be weeks.  It takes a bit of brass neck to walk into the bank and pretend you're living somewhere you aren't, but they don't check up!

Keep your Australian bank account and credit card, because you'll have no credit rating, which means you can't get a UK credit card until you've got a job and can show evidence of a salary.

Thank you for all that info , a few things there i have never thought about. 

49 minutes ago, Antipodista said:

Hi Scousers, I’m sorry to hear this. Will your daughter not consider coming over even for a holiday with you, or for a few weeks to help you settle in? Such a tough situation. 

I wouldnt ask her too as we where there on holiday in November, so i think it will be too soon. But i am sure she will come in the future

Hi Scousers 

How are your plans going?

As other have said finding your national insurance number is handy and if there is a way to get a bill set up in your name at a uk address this will really help with Bank accounts. 

Do you have a date set? It will obviously be awful to leave your husband and daughter but if your mind is made up then setting a date to fly back would be good. It gives you a deadline and sounds like things are very stressful for you hear so might be better once home with family / friends support.

Do you work here? Are you planning to work in UK?

Make sure you have all your financial paperwork in order and have some honest conversations with your husband about dividing your savings/ house etc.

Louise

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Banana707 said:

Hi Scousers 

How are your plans going?

As other have said finding your national insurance number is handy and if there is a way to get a bill set up in your name at a uk address this will really help with Bank accounts. 

Do you have a date set? It will obviously be awful to leave your husband and daughter but if your mind is made up then setting a date to fly back would be good. It gives you a deadline and sounds like things are very stressful for you hear so might be better once home with family / friends support.

Do you work here? Are you planning to work in UK?

Make sure you have all your financial paperwork in order and have some honest conversations with your husband about dividing your savings/ house etc.

Louise

I still remember my NI number from all those years ago. I need to check bank account i may still have one open then again it may have been closed since then.

havent made any concrete plans as hubbys best mate arrives from the uk next saturday for 3 weeks. Will think about it after then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, things havent changed really. I am on a roller coaster of emotions and my daughter and i argue all the time which does not help. I understand she is scared that we will move back and i can see this is not helping either of us. Just feel like i am drowning?

22 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Hi, things havent changed really. I am on a roller coaster of emotions and my daughter and i argue all the time which does not help. I understand she is scared that we will move back and i can see this is not helping either of us. Just feel like i am drowning?

(((hugs)))

I hope you are still seeing a counsellor, it's really important at times like this.  Ask your counsellor if they think it would be a good idea for you to bring your daughter to a session.  Sometimes having someone else there to guide the conversation makes it much easier to communicate and that would help your daughter as well as yourself.