Sponsorship Eligibility including financial evidence

TheKeetons

Hi, I am British, living in the UK, but I have a dual passport and I am also an Australian Citizen. I got my permanent residency in a previous de facto relationship back in 2004 when I lived in Australia. I returned to the UK in 2006 after breaking up with my boyfriend. I have since met someone and we have been married for nearly 10 years and we have two children (1 and 5 years old). We would like to move out to Australia and I am confident that our evidence will be satisfactory but what concerns me is the fact that I haven’t lived in Australia since 2006 and I don’t understand how I can prove that I will support my husband and children for 2 years once in Australia. Do you have to prove you have so much money in the bank when you arrive? We would be looking for jobs and staying with my Uncle on arrival.

Thank you.

The financial aspect isn’t so cut and dried. 

I recall we gave our plans for job hunting, savings and that we would be staying with family to begin with. Hubby didn’t have a job lined up as the sponsor but was the main earner and we submitted salary slips etc to reflect this when I lodged. This was from his UK job and he wrote in his supporting statement his plans for seeking work once in Aus etc.

I think it’s still along similar lines. If you are staying with family and will both be job hunting after arriving I’d hope it would be ok. If you have some savings or capital from a house sale that’s a bonus. 

Hopefully others will be along to share what they did. 

Thank you so much for your useful posts. The forms is written in a way that suggests you need to be established in Oz to sponsor your partner but how can you be if you are both living offshore. Also, my partner is the main bread winner too. I even considered us coming out with my husband and 2 boys on holiday visas and then lodging in Oz once he has a job but then he can’t get a job on a holiday visa. I think we’d feel more confident having the visas in place on arrival. The fees are astronomical though so I need an expert to vet everything before we lodge it but I cannot afford to use a migration lawyer to do it all.

thank you

Lots of people apply off shore and are in the same situation. So no, you don’t have to be established in Aus financially as you seem to think. Not many are when applying off shore that I am aware of and it’s mostly a case of them finding work etc once they arrive same as other migrants.

As I said (and unless it’s changed) it’s more a case of showing how your current set up works, your job seeking plans once in Aus, what you will do to find work (and husband also), living arrangements etc than showing you have a job lined up and ready to start (which for offshore is pretty impossible as no company is going to hold a job offer open for a long indefinite period). And if you have savings or money from a house sale that will be good to reflect in your application but it’s not essential.

Have you used the forum search or looked over the partner visa thread to see what others have written/done in the past as plenty have been like you as the sponsor but not main earner.

I’ve explained what my husband did as sponsor and main earner but afaik it’s not expected you to be the main earner as the sponsor. You need to be able to show you have a plan, will both be seeking work and that your outgoings to begin with will be more minimal hopefully as living with family at reduced costs. 

Drop me a PM if you want to chat about it.