189 processing times

tina2018

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking to hear other people's experiences with the processing time for the 189 visa. I logged in recently and was gutted to see that it has increased from 5-8 months before Christmas, to 6-10 months now :(

We have 75 points with my husband as the main applicant, who is an accountant. We submitted our EOI in the summer and quickly received an invitation to apply. We initially submitted our application in on the 5th September 2017 and later received an email asking us to upload our character forms and police checks. We submitted all of the required information on the 4th November 2017 (beware of the button you have to click once you've uploaded your docs, I missed it and only noticed when I logged back in later!) 

We have heard nothing since and the wait is agonising. We want to put our house on the market, but don't want to risk selling up without a concrete decision on our visas. Our medicals expire at the end of September and my husband has a 3 month notice period at work, so if we don't have a grant by June, it's game over for a 2018 move :(

I have heard that sometimes grants are issued with an initial entry date that is only a few weeks away :o  it would surely be impossible for most people to pack up and leave in that time, especially if you have property to sell... Do we take the risk and sell up without a grant??? We'd need to get the visas by June, how likely is that? 

Keen to hear from anyone else who is in the same boat!

Tina x 

Edited by tina2018
typo

Judging by quite a few similar threads, there are a fair few in a similar situation...

We applied in August, supplied additional docs in September, 75 points.  Not planning on moving out straight away, too much still left to organise.  However, we were planning to validate our visa during a planned excursion in May.  So, it would be disappointing and expensive, to have to fly the whole family out again if the visa isn't granted in time.  In this scenario, I expect we'd have to fly out by mid-September, which is when we got our police checks.

Also, my wife has to do an AHPRA application, which sounds like it could take 3-6 months to process and she would have to fly out shortly after completion of this (if we can't arrange to move out together at this point).  Hard to plan for this as we don't know how long it will take.

I'm expecting 6-8 months for visa grant, which would work for us both.  But that's a pure guestimate based on other peoples stated completion times and factoring in known delays.

I'm still not clear on what initial entry date you would be given if the visa takes close to or more than 12 months to complete (i.e. you've passed the 12 months post police/medical checks), presumably they give you a period of at least 6-12 weeks to fly out to validate.  Perhaps an unlikely scenario...

Good luck!

Regards

BFB

Hey,

We applied on 6 December with all our documents hoping on a direct grant.

Not heard anything yet.

I am hoping/expecting to hear something near the end of March. 

From the general trend it looks like its about 3months from submission/adding documents to hearing from CO.

Of course this is case by case and pure speculation so anything could happen.

Hi

Am in similar boat to Lothar....

Submitted application and uploaded all documents including front loading all items possible on 8 December 2017 for a 75 points Accountant 189 visa.
My initial expectations were that it could all be done within 2 months/by early February 2018 but alas it appears from forums that I have read that it may be a while before a response comes in.

Can you advise more on this button that you have to press once documents are uploaded? I’m pretty sure that I have done the required here (uploaded the documents, named the file, then clicked the button at the bottom of that page with the documents showing as received on the main upload page) but as with all of this visa stuff I am paranoid that i have done something wrong so if you can advise further on the ‘button’ you are referring to that would be awesome!

If I hear any news on my end, I’ll be sure to update on here.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, yes, that's the one! I think the button is called "information provided" or something along those lines. I managed to miss it the first time, so have unwittingly delayed the process by a couple of weeks. 

BFB - great news on the processing times, I will log in now and check. Fingers crossed for a visa grant by May for you and your family! 

If the general trend is 3 months, this gives me hope. I'll post as soon as I hear anything. 

Best regards, 

Tina 

• Like 1

I believe the 5-8 months if from Initial Lodge to Grant, for 75% of the cases.

What I have been able to take away from the various sources are the following:

* The CO will contact you after 2-3 months

* If you have submitted all documents IE) Decision Ready application, they will give you a direct grant at this point.

* If they need more documents, they will request it at this point

* Once you submit the documents, it is another 2-3 month wait for the grant

So the 5-8 months I feel is an estimate based on application who did not submit all documents to start with.

My understanding is that this is based on general recent processing times, as such unlikely to adjust for time spent waiting for info.  Clearly the number of information requests and period spent awaiting this information is going to vary from case to case, and is likely to be averaged out in this statistic, with at one extreme those who have front loaded documents (no info requests) and at the other extreme, those who require multiple information request.  Also, this means 75% are processed within 5 months and 90% are processed within 8 months, rather than 100% being processed with 5 to 8 months.  This may well change again next month. 

So, in my opinion only, likely to be from first lodgement.

Regards

BFB

After you log into immi account, select view details and it should be there as per the attached.
Note also processing time appears to have gone back down from 6 to 10 month to 5 to 8 months.
Regards
BFB

immi.PNG.a8de3eb3d22d15b6103e1c4354e68791.PNG

Just logged in on phone in order to find the same screen you had and my page didn’t have the “information provided” section at the bottom - my page finished at the end of the application history section.

Does the information provided section only come up once your application moves into the “currently being assessed” stage or if you are asked to provide further documents?

When I look at my “attach documents” section all of the 42 documents I have uploaded show as “received” and have a green tick and my application status also shows as “received “ on the main page. Fingers crossed this means my application is simply waiting in the big “applications to be processed pile” at dibp towers :0

Hi Andy, yes, that's the one! I think the button is called "information provided" or something along those lines. I managed to miss it the first time, so have unwittingly delayed the process by a couple of weeks. 
BFB - great news on the processing times, I will log in now and check. Fingers crossed for a visa grant by May for you and your family! 
If the general trend is 3 months, this gives me hope. I'll post as soon as I hear anything. 
Best regards, 
Tina 

Haven’t been able to see that “information provided” button anywhere on my iPad or iPhone view. Have just logged in via lap top as well and “that” button doesn’t show.

Bit worried that I am missing that button but hope that as I am not providing further information in response to a co request and am simply doing my first application and upload, it means the button doesn’t show

#nottookeenontheseirrationalvisaworries

For clarification, I only recall seeing this following a request for further information.  As I recall, in the letter emailed with the info request, they said to email to notify that info has been provided.  Though following the email I then received an automated “please don’t email us” type message.  I think it also said that after 28 days the application would proceed in its current state.

For clarification, I only recall seeing this following a request for further information.  As I recall, in the letter emailed with the info request, they said to email to notify that info has been provided.  Though following the email I then received an automated “please don’t email us” type message.  I think it also said that after 28 days the application would proceed in its current state.

Phew! Am relieved to hear that. Thanks for clarifying

Hello All!

New to this whole process (having just made the decision to 'Go for it') IELTS booked for March (earliest we could do it). Currently getting all our documents in order & scanned in the appropriate way ahead of EOI submission. 

Short of getting paperwork in order is there anything else we can be doing in the background until we are ready to submit EOI? (thinking police checks; etc)... also... employment history references - need to be on headed paper - how have you all managed with this if boss or colleague from a previous position has also moved on to another company? 

Any advice gratefully received! :)

Assuming you have done your assessment already then no.  Doing police and medical checks early will shorten time given to make first entry.  As processing time is unpredictable atm unless you are in a tearing hurry I would wait until you have a CO who requests them, they don’t take long to sort.

26 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

I'm assuming you will have a positive skills assessment for a skills that's on one of the migration lisis before you submit your EOI...

Indeed! My husbands job is on the list (so is mine - but carries more points than me as I am older lol) so subject to a positive skills assessment... 

We’ll just have to be patient I suppose!! ? 

Travelling in Dec for a holiday so would be awesome to be able to activate a skills visa!! ??

32 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Assuming you have done your assessment already then no.  Doing police and medical checks early will shorten time given to make first entry.  As processing time is unpredictable atm unless you are in a tearing hurry I would wait until you have a CO who requests them, they don’t take long to sort.

I would agree with this comment, however, if you have already made arrangements to come over in December, then it might be worth getting the medicals and PCC done once you submit your EOI, so that these are available for when you get invited to apply for your visa.

If you haven't done so already, I would make sure that you have maximised your points (re-take language test, if not at max points already), as it appears that EOIs with less than 70 points are taking a significant amount of time to get invited.

Also get that beast of Form 80 done asap, as it can take a while to gather the information required to complete it.

Edited by DukeNinja

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

I would agree with this comment, however, if you have already made arrangements to come over in December, then it might be worth getting the medicals and PCC done once you submit your EOI, so that these are available for when you get invited to apply for your visa.

If you haven't done so already, I would make sure that you have maximised your points (re-take language test, if not at max points already), as it appears that EOIs with less than 70 points are taking a significant amount of time to get invited.

Also get that beast of Form 80 done asap, as it can take a while to gather the information required to complete it.

Thanks for your advice. Boosting language points by sitting test & an additional 5 points for my skills should help give it a bit of a boost.

Can I ask what the Form 80 is? Incidentally, we can't get any extra points for having a family member (my husbands sister) lives in Perth & is now an Australian Citizen (or is that a different Visa?) ... I don't want over complicate things...

Getting the paperwork together is a big part of the preparation, also getting all the relevant documents certified (not all required certification, but I got them all certified anyway).  These are the documents I supplied on Immi Account.

Proof of Identity:

• Birth Certificates
  • Drivers Licences
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Passport

Qualifications:

• Degree
  • Transcripts (I went to the Universities website for these as I didn't retain a copy of them, charged service)

Language Ability:

• IELTS certificate

Travel Document

• Passport

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of

• Work Reference

Skills Assessment

• Skills Assessment

Character, evidence of

• Form 80
  • Police Clearance Certificate

Health Assessment

• e-Medical (no documents,  direct access to data)

I would suggest looking through Form 80, lots of fun here (amongst other items):

• Travel Movements for the last 10 years!
  • Employment history
  • Education history

Police checks can be done very quick with the express service.  Arranging a suitable date for the medical can be challenging as we all had to take time off school/work to attend this, also expensive (~£900).  If you want to submit everything all at once, then make sure you have everything else lined up for completion to coincide with completion of the medical.  We couldn't arrange to do this until we had completed the skills assessment and didn't know how long the skills assessment would take.  Similarly for the EOI.  In retrospect, I would have frontloaded all documents and booked Medicals at point of completion of EOI.

Good luck!

Regards

BFB