Learning disability (developmental disability) nursing

SarahM1705

19 hours ago, SarahM1705 said:

Hi all. Im a learning disability nurse and can apply for 189 visa based on this. I've tried looking for jobs but can't seem to find any. Does anyone know if there actually are job opportunities in Oz for me as an LD nurse? Thanks

Hi SarahM, this is not something I thought was recognised here. They carve the work up differently. Paediatric seems to cover all areas up to 18, they have child psych as well and when they talk of disability that covers adults both physical and learning disability. I have not seen jobs like you would see in the UK advertised here.

They have case managers for disability and then a lot of the hands on is done by care assistants and then OTs and physios and psychology do the assessments. General nurses would do the nursing needs. This may be wide if the mark and others may have better/ different info.

I’m in at work tomorrow and will ask around. I’m an adult nurse.

Have you had a skills assessment?

It may be neither of us is looking for the right job title. 

I’ll let you know.

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Hi SarahM, this is not something I thought was recognised here. They carve the work up differently. Paediatric seems to cover all areas up to 18, they have child psych as well and when they talk of disability that covers adults both physical and learning disability. I have not seen jobs like you would see in the UK advertised here.

They have case managers for disability and then a lot of the hands on is done by care assistants and then OTs and physios and psychology do the assessments. General nurses would do the nursing needs. This may be wide if the mark and others may have better/ different info.

I’m in at work tomorrow and will ask around. I’m an adult nurse.

Have you had a skills assessment?

It may be neither of us is looking for the right job title. 

I’ll let you know.

As I think about it, maybe google NDIA. This is the National Disability Insurance Agency (scheme). This is rolling out across Australia now and gives people with a disability a package of money that is managed by a provider but care is directed by the client. How jobs in this area would compare to what you do now I don’t know but worth a look. 

Thanks so much for the info. I also have experience in mental health, substance misuse and management and would be more than happy to take roles in these areas I just wasn't sure if the regulating body may put restrictions on what areas I practice in. Will have a look at NDIA. Thank you 

8 hours ago, SarahM1705 said:

Thanks so much for the info. I also have experience in mental health, substance misuse and management and would be more than happy to take roles in these areas I just wasn't sure if the regulating body may put restrictions on what areas I practice in. Will have a look at NDIA. Thank you 

Excellent. I’m sure you’ll find something that suits. I completely forgot to ask at work today, so busy, passed myself in the door way a few times I reckon. ?

I’ll email myself now and then I’ll see it when I get in tomorrow.

Ok. So asked around and there is no nursing learning disability degree. There is a disability degree but that won’t make someone a nurse.

Those I spoke to reckon the NDIA is the way to go. Your skills would transfer well into that area if the jobs interest you I would have thought. 

As to what AHPRA think, I have no idea. 

Good luck!

I know when I first arrived there was a nurse who was disability trained in the UK but was working as an EN as his qualification wasn't recognised.  I agree with Amber in looking at the learning disability services job wise, but unsure about registering with AHPRA.  I know my registration as an RMN allows me only to work in MH

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 06:47, SarahM1705 said:

You need to check if your registration is recognised by AHPRA - as I say, I am restricted to MH only as my qualification is RMN - not sure if learning disability is recognised for registration - have you looked at the skills lists to see if learning disability nurse is on there?

ETA - the reason for the notation is that Aus doesn't have specific MH, disability or Paediatric training.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello,

What was the answer? Did you have a Nursing Degree in Learning Disability Nursing. I have that, and work in both Mental Healh and LD- I wondered if I would be able to work as a Nurse and register with AHPRA. I called them up, and they said I just need to submit my assessment (pay the $750 or so fee too).

Thanks

Tom