309 seeking advice

Mattc1992

Hi guys,

New to the forum and after some advice if possible, im a current uk citizen who is in a relationship with an australian,

Were looking to head over to aus as i leave the armed forces in the summer, im fairly happy tha i need the 309 visa, but could someone provide me with a bit more information on the application process?

Also im unsure of what to do about my qualifications, im currently an aircraft technician (Mechanical) and have done this for 8 years, from ive gathered i need to go through the TRA as ive currently got a HNC in mechanical engineering, from looking at the site the only option that i can see is the migration skills assessment, could someone offer any advice on this matter? As from reading other forums im fairly sure ill need some form of skills recognition to get employed in australia?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Print off the partner visa PDF and get familiar with it all. Make notes, cross out the parts that don’t apply for you (ie PMV) and then get to grips with what evidence you need to gather and provide etc.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

Be aware it’s an expensive visa and you need to be able to fully document and account for your relationship. Shared life together and all that entails.

Re your profession, you would be better posting this in its own thread. Probably in jobs/careers or another suitable section. This is really for actual visa convo and your skills and conversion questions will stand a better chance being answered elsewhere. 

Hi Matt. If you are heading over to Australia you may want to apply for an 820 partner visa which is the onshore application, then you will receive a bridging visa which will allow you to stay in Australia during processing. You will also have full work rights while on the bridging visa. 

Lisa De Leon

Edited by NickyNook
Removed unauthorised contact and other details

If you know you’re going then get started with your offshore partner visa now - they’re being processed quicker than onshore, especially from London. Entering on a tourist visa not intending to be a tourist is always risky and if you have enough time then why bother taking the risk?

Does your partner have British citizenship or are they eligible for it? If so, it’s a good idea to get it before you leave as getting an Aussie partner back into U.K. should you ever want to, is more of a challenge.