register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Jane93

Early Childhood Teacher help

Hi there,

I have a 3year BSc Psychology degree already and I am ideally hoping to do a PGCE in Primary Education in September. 

Would I be able to apply as an Early Childhood teacher if I had at least a 45 day supervised placement in a classroom with children of the appropriate age whilst on my PGCE? For example in a reception class where the children are aged 4-5? 

Or would I be required to do the Early Years Education PGCE which covers only children aged 3-7? 

I am hoping to migrate to Australia but due to family circumstances cannot fully commit yet. Therefore I am apprehensive to do an Early Years PGCE as I feel it would limit my career options in England more if I have to stay, as surely primary schools would rather hire someone who is qualified to teach all years rather than just the first few years?

Anyone with any experience here who could help me out would be doing me a massive favour.

Thanks!!

Personally I would go for the Primary then do a Masters in Ed Psych - there are always vacancies for school counselors/ ed psychs. But if you’re relying on your occupation for a visa you’d want to be sure you could register as a psychologist.

The other thing to remember is that just because a skill is on the list today doesn’t mean it will be in the list tomorrow. Choose your career because it’s what you are busting to do not because it’s on a visa list to somewhere.

Agree with the above. Do what you actually want to do regardless of if it leads to a visa. The lists change all the time - more changes expected this week - so no point finding yourself being qualified in something you don't want to actually do and that you in either scenario don't qualify for a visa

Hi all,

I understand your points completely. However, sometimes people get a lot more joy out of where they choose to live and the quality of life that comes with it rather than their chosen career. I am 100% one of those people, I don't believe any career will particularly bring my happiness it is my lifestyle and where I live that will do that.

That is why I am hoping to keep my options open as much as possible.

Quoll, thank you for the advice. I don't think I would financially be able to do two masters as I have already undergone a Bachelors degree. So I will put careful thought into my next step.

I think the point that Quoll and VS were trying to make, is that it is all good and well training for a job that is currently acceptable for a visa, but you have to bear in mind that that particular profession could be taken from the list at any time, and you could find yourself left in the UK doing a job that you don't enjoy.  As an example, my OH's occupation was taken off the list one month after we were granted our visa.  Any delays and we'd never have got PR and citizenship.  However, it is a job he loves, and he is happy to do it in either country.  As it happens, he did it in Australia for a few years, and then we returned to the UK and he is happy in work here too.

I would be careful with the primary/early years teacher route.  As far as I am aware, there is a surplus of teachers in Australia, in all but the most remote locations.  There is always the chance it will be taken off the list at the next review.

Thank you so much for your responses, I understand completely the points you are all making. I love children and I've always wanted to work with children in the future I just haven't fully figured out in which capacity yet.

I'm aware it's no guarantee, as nothing is in life, but I was just hoping to clarify that if the job does stay on the SOL, whether either route would qualify me for that position.  

What the others said. 

All well and good re the where you live will bring you happiness, but if where you want to live is Australia and they remove teaching from the skills list, you'd be a bit stuffed. 

And teaching is massively oversubscribed in most areas here, especially the cities and larger towns. I keep expecting them to remove it from the list. They can't get people to fill the remote area jobs (cities and more populated areas are inundated with applicants) so perhaps next review they will shake it up and make it a regional thing. Or remove it from the list entirely. 

Do what you feel is best for you but don't expect it to be an automatic route to getting a visa further on down the road. 

Only teach if it is your passion, students absolutely deserve that much. It's not an easy job and you seem more set on location rather than career from what you have posted.

There is a real need for early childhood educators - but the need is  currently in day care centres. The pay is not as good as in schools and the holidays are of course less.

If you are set on teaching, then I would advise that you do undertake primary as it will keep your options open for work opportunities in the UK, however, it will NOT qualify you for an early childhood visa.

As the others have said, the lists change all the time. There is somewhat of a shift happening in WA at the moment with delayed retirements finally happening. It is likely that primary will be on the lists in a couple of years/few years, mostly likely just for regional and remote though.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1