SC189 What's the hold up? Brisbane office

Just wondering if anybody else was in the same position as us?

We are a family of 5 waiting for our visas to travel to Brisbane on my partner's skill as a midwife.

The invitation in June was quick with 60 points after only 13 days, and it was the last invitation round for the first 6 months of 2017.

Visa was finally lodged on 4th July 2017 after a nightmare wait for the skills assessment, then AHPRA wasn't much better.

Medicals and police checks plus all forms were front loaded.

We had CO contact from the Brisbane office on 15th of August asking for my non-migrating daughter's passport and our form 80's to be combined better and the files compressed more.

Since then we've heard nothing, approaching 6.5 months now. I know the processing times state 6-10 months at present but from the various forums and groups we are on between us we haven't heard of many that have had to wait this long.

We heard that the Brisbane office has made a lot of redundancies recently, most grants seem to be coming out of the Adelaide office.

It's been a hell of wait, we're ready to book flights as soon as that email lands. Most of the furniture has gone, everyone sleeping on mattresses, summer clothes packed in bags etc.

Has anybody else had the same wait?

Thanks,

BPD

hey unfortunately we all have had that horrific nail biting wait.. it seems to be a long old wait at present but hang in there, may have been the way i was reading your post but seemed like you got your skills assessment back after your invitation.hopefully i read that wrong ?

at present no 60 pointers are getting invited i hear so congrats on getting in there when you did

hang in there 

liam

hey unfortunately we all have had that horrific nail biting wait.. it seems to be a long old wait at present but hang in there, may have been the way i was reading your post but seemed like you got your skills assessment back after your invitation.hopefully i read that wrong ?
at present no 60 pointers are getting invited i hear so congrats on getting in there when you did
hang in there 
liam

Hi Liam, are you waiting too? We put the EOI in the day after the skills assessment came back. It was almost a year's wait for AHPRA and anmac which added a massive chunk of time to our plans. Agreed we were lucky for a quick invite, I can't imagine what the 60 pointers are going through now.

Many are changing subclasses to get round it, as we decided to do in April when the 489 limit was reached my partner did another Pearson's to get an extra 10 points so we could go for the 189. Now 489's are getting processed faster than 189's but it will be better in the long run.

I know there's a lot of people waiting, just haven't heard of many waiting as long as we have.

Thanks

2 hours ago, bigpoppadolph said:

Just wondering if anybody else was in the same position as us?

We are a family of 5 waiting for our visas to travel to Brisbane on my partner's skill as a midwife.

The invitation in June was quick with 60 points after only 13 days, and it was the last invitation round for the first 6 months of 2017.

Visa was finally lodged on 4th July 2017 after a nightmare wait for the skills assessment, then AHPRA wasn't much better.

Medicals and police checks plus all forms were front loaded.

We had CO contact from the Brisbane office on 15th of August asking for my non-migrating daughter's passport and our form 80's to be combined better and the files compressed more.

Since then we've heard nothing, approaching 6.5 months now. I know the processing times state 6-10 months at present but from the various forums and groups we are on between us we haven't heard of many that have had to wait this long.

We heard that the Brisbane office has made a lot of redundancies recently, most grants seem to be coming out of the Adelaide office.

It's been a hell of wait, we're ready to book flights as soon as that email lands. Most of the furniture has gone, everyone sleeping on mattresses, summer clothes packed in bags etc.

Has anybody else had the same wait?

Thanks,

BPD

I hope you had the skills assesssment before you lodged the EOI?

also, AHPRA is not required to get the visa, and once they have granted registration in principle you only have three months to get to an AHPRA office and finalise it so your partner may need to do a quick trip to oz.

Edited as I see my post crossed with yours!  Skills asssment wise the  you are ok, but check the AHPRA, I can't remember when the rules changed....

Edited by Nemesis

I hope you had the skills assesssment before you lodged the EOI?
also, AHPRA is not required to get the visa, and once they have granted registration in principle you only have three months to get to an AHPRA office and finalise it so your partner may need to do a quick trip to oz.
Hi, yes the skills assessment was done before the EOI. My partner presented in person in Brisbane for her registration in August 2016 and has paid her registration fee in 2017 also. She did the AHPRA before ANMAC so she only had to do the modified assessment instead of the full assessment which was apparently faster, but not for us.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bigpoppadolph said:

Hi, yes the skills assessment was done before the EOI. My partner presented in person in Brisbane for her registration in August 2016 and has paid her registration fee in 2017 also. She did the AHPRA before ANMAC so she only had to do the modified assessment instead of the full assessment which was apparently faster, but not for us.

Thanks

Good to hear! Lots of people have been caught out by the AHPRA stuff

Hi,

We are also waiting for Brisbane too. We applied on the 23rd August for a189 family of 4, 75 points, science Teacher secondary all front loaded. Case officer requested extra info at the end of September uploaded same week heard nothing since. House sold along with pretty much everything else. Agonising wait but it will be worth it. Good luck. 

Hi,
We are also waiting for Brisbane too. We applied on the 23rd August for a189 family of 4, 75 points, science Teacher secondary all front loaded. Case officer requested extra info at the end of September uploaded same week heard nothing since. House sold along with pretty much everything else. Agonising wait but it will be worth it. Good luck. 
Hi Stev, that's a lot of points. Did you get a quick invite? I've heard of people getting grants in just 2 months with 75 points, even over Christmas, but they all seem to be pro-rata occupations.
I'm hoping the processing times get reduced this week but I can't see it as not many people are getting grants. Whereabouts in Brisbane are you heading?

Thanks

2 hours ago, bigpoppadolph said:

Hi Stev, that's a lot of points. Did you get a quick invite? I've heard of people getting grants in just 2 months with 75 points, even over Christmas, but they all seem to be pro-rata occupations.
I'm hoping the processing times get reduced this week but I can't see it as not many people are getting grants. Whereabouts in Brisbane are you heading?

Thanks

Yes the invite came back in 24hrs so we thought it was going to be quick and we applied the same day using a agent. Hopefully south side Helensvale Coomera Ormeau.  But not ruling any areas out just yet it will depend on work and schools. 

Yes the invite came back in 24hrs so we thought it was going to be quick and we applied the same day using a agent. Hopefully south side Helensvale Coomera Ormeau.  But not ruling any areas out just yet it will depend on work and schools. 
We're undecided between North or South Brisbane, it will depend on work. We have family around Morayfield but if we end up working south side I've heard the commute is terrible. Good luck!

On 15/01/2018 at 10:40, bigpoppadolph said:

Hi Liam, are you waiting too? We put the EOI in the day after the skills assessment came back. It was almost a year's wait for AHPRA and anmac which added a massive chunk of time to our plans. Agreed we were lucky for a quick invite, I can't imagine what the 60 pointers are going through now.

Many are changing subclasses to get round it, as we decided to do in April when the 489 limit was reached my partner did another Pearson's to get an extra 10 points so we could go for the 189. Now 489's are getting processed faster than 189's but it will be better in the long run.

I know there's a lot of people waiting, just haven't heard of many waiting as long as we have.

Thanks

Hopefully processing times start to reduce after the Christmas break for everyone. Are also a family of 5 hoping to head out to Melbourne. 

Cannot believe AHPRA took almost a year...this gives me the fear! I've chosen to postpone AHPRA application until we have at least lodged the final part of the visa. Case officer has been in contact and we are in the process of medicals, police checks and form 80's. So, should be within the next month that we are at final lodgement...but a year for AHPRA!!! That sucks! 

Fingers crossed for good news for you soon. 

Sorry LAW, the wording could have been better. It took around 6 months for the ANMAC assessment and 6 months for the AHPRA registration. My OH went over to do AHPRA first to qualify for the modified assessment to speed things up for us but it back fired as we then had to wait for the AHPRA to start the ANMAC.

Fingers crossed they start granting soon, haven't heard anything out of the Brisbane office for LONG time! I guess with Melbourne your CO contact would've been from the Adelaide office?

We front-loaded everything, meds police 1221's 80's hoping it would also speed things up but... nothing.

Fingers crossed for you too!!

• 1 month later...