Dilemma whether to stay or go

Tricky

Just wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice or offer advice even if you haven't. 

My wife and I have been in Adelaide for 7 years, and two years ago had a daughter. 

We like living here, and although sometimes we feel a bit isolated from the rest of the world and that it's tough to just 'pop' somewhere else we have no major issues with the place. We have a house here and are citizens. 

We have however started to talk about how our daughter is the other side of the world from family. Granted they have come to visit and we have been back there with her once, but it's still a limited amount of time and we can't really afford a European trip every year. 

We are now trying to decide whether we should head back. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it, we left for an adventure really. 

Obviously only we can work out whether it's worth it financially, whether we sell our house here or rent it out just incase, etc. We know that jobs aren't a guarantee straight away, as we knew when we came here however we were quite lucky in that regard. 

Has anyone had similar feelings, moved back and it has/hasn't worked out. Reasons as to why? We just wanna make sure we make as best educated decision as possible. 

We would be living 30-50 minutes from family as we would plan to move back closer to a city instead of country villages. We don't expect to see family every day and we realise that we will never know for sure if we made the right decision. 

Enough of my rambling. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Just wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice or offer advice even if you haven't. 

My wife and I have been in Adelaide for 7 years, and two years ago had a daughter. 

We like living here, and although sometimes we feel a bit isolated from the rest of the world and that it's tough to just 'pop' somewhere else we have no major issues with the place. We have a house here and are citizens. 

We have however started to talk about how our daughter is the other side of the world from family. Granted they have come to visit and we have been back there with her once, but it's still a limited amount of time and we can't really afford a European trip every year. 

We are now trying to decide whether we should head back. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it, we left for an adventure really. 

Obviously only we can work out whether it's worth it financially, whether we sell our house here or rent it out just incase, etc. We know that jobs aren't a guarantee straight away, as we knew when we came here however we were quite lucky in that regard. 

Has anyone had similar feelings, moved back and it has/hasn't worked out. Reasons as to why? We just wanna make sure we make as best educated decision as possible. 

We would be living 30-50 minutes from family as we would plan to move back closer to a city instead of country villages. We don't expect to see family every day and we realise that we will never know for sure if we made the right decision. 

If you dig through the UK Chat thread you will find lots of people who are in a similar position to you.  Many moved back and are happy with the move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only you can decide, but my gut feeling says, go for it, and the sooner the better.

From reading these forums, the most common reason people go home is because they miss family.  I see a lot of people for whom it wasn't an issue when they emigrated - but as soon as you have a child of your own, it changes your whole attitude.

Once you start to feel that way, the feeling seems to get stronger as time goes by - so even if you put it off, you'll probably end up going eventually, so why not bite the bullet.  Right now, your daughter is tiny and she will adapt to life in the UK without a qualm. You won't have all the angst of moving schools and leaving friends.   Delay your move until she's, say, 10 or 12 or 15, and she'll have rosy memories of her life in the sun, so when she's grown up she's more likely to head back to Oz, leaving you behind (of course, she may go anywhere in the world, but an attachment to Oz makes it more likely).  

A lot of people don't settle back in the UK, but that's often because they were discontented with life in the UK before, and they go back to the same problems.   You say that's not an issue, so it sounds like it should be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If more of your family are over in the Uk and you are missing them it might be a good idea to go.  I am sure you will miss Australia, most people do, but if you are going to leave it is best you do it sooner rather than wait until your daughter is settled in school and you get involved with school communities etc. Adelaide is a small place and quite unlike many of the other Australian cities- seems people often get the urge to move away or at least that is my experience.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Only you can decide, but my gut feeling says, go for it, and the sooner the better.

From reading these forums, the most common reason people go home is because they miss family.  I see a lot of people for whom it wasn't an issue when they emigrated - but as soon as you have a child of your own, it changes your whole attitude.

Once you start to feel that way, the feeling seems to get stronger as time goes by - so even if you put it off, you'll probably end up going eventually, so why not bite the bullet.  Right now, your daughter is tiny and she will adapt to life in the UK without a qualm. You won't have all the angst of moving schools and leaving friends.   Delay your move until she's, say, 10 or 12 or 15, and she'll have rosy memories of her life in the sun, so when she's grown up she's more likely to head back to Oz, leaving you behind (of course, she may go anywhere in the world, but an attachment to Oz makes it more likely).  

A lot of people don't settle back in the UK, but that's often because they were discontented with life in the UK before, and they go back to the same problems.   You say that's not an issue, so it sounds like it should be fine.

I agree with most of this.  We loved our time in Sydney, and there are things we miss, but found that as time went on, and the cons started to outweigh the pros, the feeling of wanting to return just got stronger and stronger until the point that we decided it was time.  Like you, we left the UK because we had the opportunity for an adventure, and whilst we loved Sydney, we love the UK too.  We didn't leave because we didn't like the UK, and we didn't return because we didn't like Sydney.  They are both fantastic countries, and we are lucky to be able to live in either.

For what it's worth, we moved here when the kids were 1 and 2, and moved back when they were 9 and 11, and they settled well on both occasions.

• Like 2

I've read through a number of similar threads and it doesn't seem anyone has gone and then come back, which is encouraging. 

It does make sense to go asap once we've decided. Want to be paying back into the UK pension rather than the Aus one. And the exchange rate is pretty good for going that way. Pretty convinced it's time to start a new adventure. 

Plenty have pingponged and are now back in Aus. I read a recent post the other day where someone is in the process or returning to Aus. 

TBH I think your feelings about both places will go a long way in how you settle when you return to the UK. You were happy there, happy in Aus and didn’t leave the UK because you were unhappy or didn’t like your life there. And not leaving Aus for those reasons either.

I often think people who feel like that are the ones who can live happily in either place and be happy with their choice. We are the same and happy in both places and didn’t leave because we were disillusioned with the UK. Left on good terms and no cloud hanging over us.

I’d hope a return to then UK goes well for you. If you find once back that you would prefer to be back in Aus then make a plan, enjoy a couple of years back there and come back to Aus. Doesn’t have to be Adelaide again, could be elsewhere if you wanted. 

Most that pingpong back to Australia (or who yearn to do so) are because they did not really give their new life a chance and gave up too quickly.  You have been here 7 years so that doesn’t apply to you.  Indeed I think that those who emigrate for the reasons you gave and return for family reasons after a fair period of time settle back in fine judging by all the threads I have read.

• Like 4

Hi, well we lived in Australia for 28 years and moved back to the UK in December 2015 with our 2 teenage daughters.

Like most our circumstances changed in Australia and we missed family in the UK so we sold our beautiful home, most of our belongings, pulled our children out of their private school and away from the only life they ever knew and regret it every day.

It was by far the biggest mistake we have made in our lives.  Sad thing is though, our gut always told us we were doing the wrong thing, however we looked through rose coloured glasses and thought it would be great.

Don't get me wrong - this is just our story, others move back and settle - others like us don't.

Good luck - is it possible for you to come to the UK for a long trip instead - you know like try before you buy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Geordie girl said:

Hi, well we lived in Australia for 28 years and moved back to the UK in December 2015 with our 2 teenage daughters.

Like most our circumstances changed in Australia and we missed family in the UK so we sold our beautiful home, most of our belongings, pulled our children out of their private school and away from the only life they ever knew and regret it every day.

It was by far the biggest mistake we have made in our lives. 

I think the length of time is an important factor. The OP has been away 7 years - you were away for 28 years.  Your children had grown up and become Aussies - the OP's child is  still a toddler. That's why I think that if they do have a hankering now, they should move and not leave it till they're in your situation!  They'll be young enough to uproot and come back if it doesn't work out, and then they'll know the answer to that niggling question.

• Like 4

On 15/01/2018 at 00:22, Tricky said:

Leaving as an adventure & not because you hated the uk is a good basis for returning. Make sure you consider the move for all of you & how you’ll benefit. If you are moving back to a good support network, even more pluses. Your daughter is young enough to adapt & I was utterly amazed at how much support & better catered we seemed to feel by the system, coming back with a 5 & 1 year old. I have struggled a bit but nothing to do with the uk. I put too much emphasis on returning for family, but strangely has been chicken soup for the soul. I needed to come back. Trouble is when the seed is planted to return, it’s one of those things that you need to put to bed..   choose where you come back to wisely & put it down as a couple of years plan & review, go with your gut.

• Like 5

On 15/01/2018 at 00:22, Tricky said:

We moved back in 2015,  family of 5,  sydney for 10 years, asia for 1 year and ad-delayed for just under 4 years,  kids aged 8, 11 and 13 when they moved,

Kids settled in well, they do complain about the weather but generally the largest one item they comment on is UK diet, i.e other kids diet and food = not healthy, so I guess we did at least one thing right as parents.

We're pretty rural on a farm, living in or pretty much near ashdown forest in sussex (winnie the pooh land - its gorgeous here!), nearest village is 3 miles, nearest large town is 10+ miles, nearest station to london is only 1 mile, nearest pub is 2 miles :) , I work from home 1-2 days a week, broadband and nature of my work makes it possible. Started a business last year, now have 3-4 consultants working for me, people problems my bane!!!!

Are we happy we made the move, I can only speak for myself and the plan I had set out to educate my children, broaden their horizons and show them or at least put them in a place in life that has options,  I think we've done quite a good job of moving back,  we see relatives not as much as we thought we'd see, but have found the community here extremely open and welcoming, my wife (aussie) is chair of the PTA, we are considerably more involved in the local community than in adelaide which we found quite secretive and cliquey.

The kids love it here,  my 15 year old daughter was in adelaide for this christmas past ,  as it was a holiday treat prior to her GCSe's,  she loved catching up with her friends in adelaide, but came to me last week and said she prefers it here in the UK, as she thought adelaide was run-down, a little quiet, just a bit decrepit and not much variety and interest.

Mind you,  I've ensured that we have lived a life five times over since we arrived in the UK,  she had her 13th birthday dinner in the Eiffel Tower, my 50th in Crete, she in her own words has been to over 8 countries (including Egypt ) since we arrived back 2.5 years ago and we are going to the french alps in march for our first family ski holiday.

The boys (one of whom is autistic and was excluded and disgracefully discriminated by the principal at marryatville school in adelaide) has improved , matured and  come on in leaps and bounds, well above average in many subjects, good physique sports and maturing in such a wonderful way the school have (as have we) been very involved in ensuring the framework is present and now he is completely independent at school requiring no support, all this in less than 24 months!!!, the youngest is keen to read as much denis the menace and dig escape tunnels from his local village school.

I took them (under constant nagging) to thorpe park last summer, where upon my daughter (aussie) declared it to be a chav zoo........  hmmmm,  no comment.

we love it here,  London is just as I left it 17 years ago,  still have friends there, always something to catchup with or do,  Europe is close,  Chunnel holiday to bordeaux and cognac last summer,  greece and spain the summers before, plenty to do for the kids,  calais easy on the way out,  nightmare on the way in (immigration issues),  Gatwick is 40 mins door to checkin for us, so last april we got the family to venice for 479 flights + 650 5 days apartment, not bad for a family of 5 !!!

Are we doing more or less than we'd have done in adelaide as kids,  probably not in terms of weekly day-to-day activities,  Piano, Horse riding, bike riding, swimming, football, cricket , martial arts, usual stuff, we don't push the kids to pack it all in at all costs (as we saw in adelaide) because we wanted a broader, more general view on their education and life activities.  

If you have a view to get the most out of life for your family, and you want to shake that particular opportunity tree,  then maybe adelaide is not the place for you it certainly was not for me.  If you want to retire and watch the kids leave as soon as they have a chance,  - mind you , they'll always leave so that's perhaps  not a valid argument, but I'd like to hope they's at least stick around europe for a few years whilst they make their way in life - equipped with the experiences I've  tried to expose them to.

The general work market here is vastly more vibrant than adelayed , including renumeration at an appropriate level for skills and experience, ad-delayed always had that cheap "we're going to pay you less than you would earn elsewhere - because it's so great here......"   not a way to attract and retain the skills needed to build the place.  

Eu passport also means cheaper Uni fees :) , and I do agree Brexit is a cluster&*&*&* ck 

Edited by deryans
added jobs
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, deryans said:

We moved back in 2015,  family of 5,  sydney for 10 years, asia for 1 year and ad-delayed for just under 4 years,  kids aged 8, 11 and 13 when they moved,

I was enjoying that post so much (especially the "chav zoo":biglaugh:).

Then you went and ruined it with the last line.

That's OK though (Brexiters are fine with opposing views)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To be clear,  the current marryatville school principal and deputy are superb, they  came  from the northern suburbs in Adelaide (so has experience) and exhibits excellent leadership and judgment,  unfortunately the previous head teacher/principal was incompetent on so many levels, she returned to NSW in 2015 due staff revolt, pending DECD discipline  review and an undelivered letter to the minister written by yours truly.   I saw no point, as she'd left.  

Sadly damage had already been done, we were fatigued, we had already decided to leave and a slight regret is not being able to work with the current principal for the betterment of all students.

Edited by deryans

Thanks everyone, we are trying to work out whether it's viable and we could survive. We've been looking at household and general costs compared to pay based on job ads. But we've been out of the UK for a while. Does any of this look way out? 

For info, 2 adults and a toddler, looking to live in a 3 bed house. 

Gas £35, Elec £35, Water £40, Council Tax £150, Tv licence £15, Internet £30, Car Tax £30 per car - all per month. 

Then a couple of annual costs, Car insurance £300, Home insurance £300

Then the biggy - childcare. Would need about 4 days a week. Looks like £150 a day so £700 a month? 

Grocery shopping £100 a week. 

Edited by Tricky

My husband and i are also in Adelaide with 5 and 6 year old aussies. We moved in 09. Weve been contemplating the move back for over a year as the family pull in the uk is so strong. Its also a big financial risk for us as we wont have jobs to go back to. From my research your looks about right but i have probably got it from thr same place you have ?good luck with your descision. 

Childcare. Think you mean £150 per week? 

Depends on the area and if you opt for a nursery or childminder will factor in. Your estimated cost seems low to me for childcare in a nursery setting. Where we  lived we paid £50 a day, that was 7 plus years ago. I checked websites in the area we were in, average today for others is about £50 a day. A full week at one place has a special rate of £195 (working out about £39 per day instead of £49). So 4 days would cost £196 a week. Often there can be wait lists for the popular nurseries so be prepared for this. I was on a wait list for months for one place and took a childminder place instead in the end but even that took a few months to find one who could do the days I needed. Many were booked up way ahead and gave priority to families with kids already in their care. So if a second came along they’d take them over you, iykwim. 

Also factor in fuel. It’s not cheap. That used to be a big cost for us, even running one car only and doing lots of walking for local trips. 

9 minutes ago, snifter said:

Childcare. Think you mean £150 per week? 

Depends on the area and if you opt for a nursery or childminder will factor in. Your estimated cost seems low to me for childcare in a nursery setting. Where we  lived we paid £50 a day, that was 7 plus years ago. I checked websites in the area we were in, average today for others is about £50 a day. A full week at one place has a special rate of £195 (working out about £39 per day instead of £49). So 4 days would cost £196 a week. Often there can be wait lists for the popular nurseries so be prepared for this. I was on a wait list for months for one place and took a childminder place instead in the end but even that took a few months to find one who could do the days I needed. Many were booked up way ahead and gave priority to families with kids already in their care. So if a second came along they’d take them over you, iykwim. 

Also factor in fuel. It’s not cheap. That used to be a big cost for us, even running one car only and doing lots of walking for local trips. 

Yes you're right £150 a week, not day. But appears it may be more. Oh dear. 

We have also allowed for £300 a month for petrol (2 cars) but that's based on what we drive here, we won't know until we've found jobs how far we will have to drive. 

Put all this together with an estimated mortgage and you realise that Adelaide is reasonably cheap to live, however the 50% childcare rebate and cheaper fuel help a lot! 

41 minutes ago, ajwilko said:

My husband and i are also in Adelaide with 5 and 6 year old aussies. We moved in 09. Weve been contemplating the move back for over a year as the family pull in the uk is so strong. Its also a big financial risk for us as we wont have jobs to go back to. From my research your looks about right but i have probably got it from thr same place you have ?good luck with your descision. 

Yes we are also nervous about it financially as we will both quit safe jobs and have no clue as to how long it will take to get new ones in the UK. 

We've spent a few weeks researching, calculating, pondering, wondering, worrying and we still haven't decided. At some point you just have to jump, and hope. We did it when we came here, and has worked out ok so we have a bit of hope.

Hopefully you can make a decision easier than us and it all works out well. Good luck! The Family pull is a tough one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Yes you're right £150 a week, not day. But appears it may be more. Oh dear. 

We have also allowed for £300 a month for petrol (2 cars) but that's based on what we drive here, we won't know until we've found jobs how far we will have to drive. 

Put all this together with an estimated mortgage and you realise that Adelaide is reasonably cheap to live, however the 50% childcare rebate and cheaper fuel help a lot! 

Much will depend on the area you are in. You may be planning to settle somewhere with cheaper housing, lower salaries and the likelihood is that childcare will be cheaper. Where we were, it was pricey and once you have more than one child in day care, it gets pretty outrageous. 

We find living in Adelaide cheaper overall than where we were living in the UK. Some things cost more here yes, but factor in higher salary and lower cost of housing compared to where we were, we are better off here. I also really really appreciate OSHC running throughout the year at pretty much every primary school around and the costs of this being so good, especially with the rebate. Sorely missing decent before/after school childcare options, least from the part of England we lived in. 

If you really want to return, you'll find a way to make it work and chances are it'll fall into place for you. Be prepared that many will have gone on with their lives and you may not see as much of people as you had hoped. Some slot straight back in though, others find that time has changed things or they just don't see people/family as often as they had hoped or were expecting and that help with kids isn't so forthcoming either perhaps. If it is, great, but if it isn't, be prepared is all :) 

4 hours ago, Tricky said:

Thanks everyone, we are trying to work out whether it's viable and we could survive. We've been looking at household and general costs compared to pay based on job ads. But we've been out of the UK for a while. Does any of this look way out? 

For info, 2 adults and a toddler, looking to live in a 3 bed house. 

Gas £35, Elec £35, Water £40, Council Tax £150, Tv licence £15, Internet £30, Car Tax £30 per car - all per month. 

Then a couple of annual costs, Car insurance £300, Home insurance £300

Then the biggy - childcare. Would need about 4 days a week. Looks like £150 a day so £700 a month? 

Grocery shopping £100 a week. 

we're a little more on " financial steroids" to be honest, so a family of 5 , two teens and 1 10 year old!

No gas, but oil central heating,  approx  300 odd per annum (cheaper to fill in summer), Elect is 300 per Qtr, so 100 per month, we also have open wood fire and we collect wood/choppings from the local forest - lots of tree-surgeons round here so no scarcity of logs either way,  just space to dry them out before winter

Internet (BT Openreach fibre, landline , Sports, TV and entertainment (not SKY won't touch it) + x4 mobiles on plans , 1 unlimited (me) and others for wife and kids)  about 150-160 per month

Council tax is 181 per month where we are I think, my wife pays it....

x2 cars,  1 landcrusier and 1 small station-car,   tax is 300 for the diesel and 75  for the other ford thing

Fuel is expensive,  but we spend less than 300 a month total, probably 60 on the ford thing and 180 on the cruiser (great on motorway, shocking round town)

Food,  hmmm,  you can go to town here, there is so much variety we have M&S, Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsburys all with in easy reach (15-20 min drive), and huge range of choice, and it can be expensive if you don't watch it,  we do x3 big shops per month at about 130-150 per shop, so that's say 400 (includes all the non-food expensive items - dishwasher, cleaner etc) and about  3-4 occasional shops in-between  (milk, bread, spontaneous etc) which come to around another 200, so we're close to 600 per month for a family of 5,  2 boys 1 girl so you're close with the 100 per week.

40 per month seems high for water, I think ours is about 270-280 per 6 months ?

Beer is 4.05 at my local,  Harveys Best, 4%, deliciousness in a glass, and not too strong, but my other good colleague in surrey paid over 5 at his !!

Travel up to london on a season is about 450 per month or 95 per week...   55min to London Bridge (yeah right..... )

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:22, Tricky said:

We lived in Perth and went to Adelaide so I know what you mean.  Its like a much smaller, quieter and just as isolated version of Perth.  Yes you will feel more alive and free when you come home.  Its not bad away out there by any means, but it is as you say, so isolated, you miss out on so much.  Its fine if you can cope with staying in the one place all the time.  For us we couldn't, we were travellers at heart.  In UK as long as the weather is fine, we go for weekend trips all the time.  Its full of so much vibe.  If you are thinking about it and the seed is planted, if  you have the money to get out of that place then go for it, give it a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we've made the final decision to return to the UK. 

It won't be a rush as we already have visitors coming out for Easter and first two weeks of June so plenty of time to declutter, plan and tidy up the house/garden for sale. Hopefully have it on the market mid July. As we've got the toddler it will also help that we have 5 months as things can take twice as long ?

It's strange though that now we've made the decision, my head is already in UK mode and I'm concentrating on looking at areas to live, job ads, mortgage costs etc. I've sort of left the whole trying to 'fit' here alone now, which after 7 years I never felt I did. I love the place, don't get me wrong and we've met some great people but I've always felt reluctant to put down any roots which is what helped us make the decision, however the number one reason is our daughter having time with family, and they are all excited about us returning and we've got accommodation with the inlaws for as long as we need to find jobs and then somewhere to buy which will take a massive amount of pressure off, however not all of it, there's only so long you can live with the inlaws. 

Now to make the most of the time we have here before the next stage of the adventure we call life. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Congratulations on making your decision.  The next few months will fly by.  We made the decision in December/January and spent until September finishing the renovation on our house, de cluttering, and putting it on the market.  It was a very intensely stressful time, but we survived!  We've been in Scotland since the beginning of September, and I am certain it was the right thing to do.  So much so that we're moving into our own house next Tuesday!  We love it here, the kids love it here, and I am happy we had the courage to turn our lives upside down.  I do miss some things about Sydney, but in a way that all feels like a dream now, like I am finally awake and living life.

• Like 5