register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

SimonandSian

Quarantine Examination Fee $480

Hi guys, 

so our container arrived in Fremantle this week and we have been contacted by the WA agent to say that there is $480 owing which is a "Quarantine Examination Fee" and PSS have said that quarantine fee is something that they specifically do not cover.

Just wanted to check that this sounds right to everyone who has been through the process? I wasn't expecting such a large fee to be honest and it seems it is not because an item has been identified, just a standard fee from what that are saying. The firm in WA are 'KENT removals' just for info

Thanks in advance

Edited by SimonandSian

No it’s not something a shipper would be liable for. I’ve just had a similar experience myself only with DHL but my parcel was delayed and a fee applied. I suppose a removal company could incorporate it in to the price but then not every container is stopped and searched so it wouldn’t be fair on others.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Our shipping had the same sort of fee to clear. Our shipping company made it clear beforehand that we were the ones liable for the charge, not them. And that it was a standard fee so expect to be charged. 

I've discussed this with PSS and Liam has explained the situation (below)

99% of Removal companies do not include these rates within their rates because they are assessed locally and differ depending on where they move to and the contents being assessed.

For example there is a different fee between say Sydney and Brisbane and whether a consignment has more garden tools than another consignment or whether there is a car or furniture items.

There is always a fee but the amount is not the always the same from one shipment to another.

In addition to this which makes it that little bit more difficult is if company’s included quarantine and stated that the price included the fee and that shipment was selected for further inspection or treatment then DAFF would charge more which would cause more frustration for a customer if these fees were passed on.