How do you get assessed in occupational therapy for the 189 visa before being granted a visa?

Eloise

Hi there!

I've researched into the 189 visa for an occupational therapist, but I'm still confused on how I would be supervised and assessed for the visa without having a visa (desktop 2). I read that being assessed and applying for the visa are 2 separate things so I'm not sure on how this process works. Would I need a different visa completely while I'm being assessed? Also I presume the assessment needs to take place in Australia?

Anyone who has been through this process please could you enlighten me as I'm struggling to find clarity on this.

Many thanks,

Eloise

Thanks for the comment. I've had a look at the assessing body for occupational therapy and there are 2 parts to the assessment. The one I'm unsure of is the 2nd part- being supervised by another occupational therapist and then a report written about my performance. I don't understand how you can be assessed working as an occupational therapist in Australia without a visa. Perhaps I would need a different visa during this process, but this isn't clarified anywhere. Perhaps an occupational therapist who has been through this process could confirm this for me.

Thanks

Hi Eloise

I am an OT and currently applying for skilled independent visa, using a migration agent to guide me through the process.  You need the first part of the skills assessment (desk top assessment) for the visa, the 2nd part (practice audit completed in Australia) is required to work as an OT and gain full registration.  

Hope that helps,

Louise

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your comment.

How do you arrange the 2nd part please? I'm wondering how to do the practice audit in Australia before the skilled independent visa has been issued. Do you need to be on a separate visa to complete this? Maybe the 457 sponsored visa? Also how are you finding setting up the 2nd part? Where are you looking for jobs?

Thanks

You just need stage 1 for the visa to be granted. I've heard it can be tricky to get the 2nd part set up as it involves getting an employer to take you on and provide the additional support. I am still in the process of getting documents/evidence together for the visa so I'm not sure how easy this will be. My plan is to be as organised and prepared as possible so I am able to reassure employers I know the process inside out, and minimise the additional work for them. I will be moving to Perth as have family there, how about you?

That makes the visa part easier if you only need stage 1! Did you find that out from your migration agent? I didn't find that clear anywhere. Yes the stage 2 part does sound like a lot of work, but people must do it and get through it. It sounds like being on placement as a student and doing all the paperwork needed for that! I'm still a student in my second year, but hope to move out there after I graduate. I will lose points on my lack of experience, so I'm not sure how that would affect me even though I have 60 points. I have lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania and have liked everywhere. I also liked northern New South Wales and Brisbane area, so that could also be a possibility. I haven't been to Perth, but Western Australia looks beautiful! Good luck with your journey! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Eloise

Yes the stage one is a desktop assessment ie you submit all the required documents to the OT council in Australia, whilst you're in the UK. It acts as your skills assessment then as part of your 189 application. Then, when you've got your PR through, you can apply for jobs and stage 2, which is the supervised practice audit. I had already emigrated when I applied for OT jobs and have had no problem finding a job. In fact I've turned jobs down. 

If you'll only just be qualified when you come over my advice is to keep an open mind about where you live and work whilst you're doing you're supervised practice at least. I know my employer (private practice OT) would consider new grads as we've struggled to recruit. I'm almost at the end of my supervised practice and it's not a big deal - pretty much like being a student again in some ways (which was refreshing for me as I've been qualified 23 years!!). 

There are many more opportunities here in oz since the NDIS has rolled out, than there were 3 or 4 years ago - when I first started my 189 journey 4 years ago it looked gloomy for OT's coming over to Oz, but things have improved.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with

Becky

• Thanks 1

Hi Eloise

i want to ask you a ton of questions but don't know where to start:D long story short wife is finishing her OT degree, only got 60 points, looking for a 489 reg visa,  no work experience, she is 42 but always work in care and health so loads of experience in non trade jobs. If we can get a visa, do you think there are company out there what would consider a newbie?

On 12/03/2018 at 07:16, y not said:

PS thanks for any help:notworthy: My head is spinning with all the questions and info

Happy to help answer questions if I can? Fire away. I'm not sure of the 489 requirements. I applied under 189 as an OT. Used a migration agent, sat IELTS, I think I had 65 points due to 20 years work experience but had minimal points for age as was 43 when we applied so just scraped by!! Visa granted March 2015, Emigrated in October 2016.

What particular questions do you have?

12 hours ago, Serendipity said:

Happy to help answer questions if I can? Fire away. I'm not sure of the 489 requirements. I applied under 189 as an OT. Used a migration agent, sat IELTS, I think I had 65 points due to 20 years work experience but had minimal points for age as was 43 when we applied so just scraped by!! Visa granted March 2015, Emigrated in October 2016.

What particular questions do you have?

Hi Serendipity thanks for getting back, what chance do you think she has of  getting a job (OT) with no work experience. I know you have 20 years so that part is not a problem when you were looking, only asking you because you have boots on the floor. The region you are in looks lovely.:)

On 14/03/2018 at 09:34, y not said:

Hi Serendipity thanks for getting back, what chance do you think she has of  getting a job (OT) with no work experience. I know you have 20 years so that part is not a problem when you were looking, only asking you because you have boots on the floor. The region you are in looks lovely.:)

The honest answer is I don't know. All I can say is that there are definitely opportunities out here, it may take some time and you may have to go where the work is, but eventually she would. I know when my employer was looking to recruit a few months ago they were happy to consider new grads and overseas trained OT's.

The stage 2 supervised practice is fairly straightforward, just a lot of paperwork (and more money!!)

Maybe have a chat with one of the agencies. I registered with global health source  when I was in the UK and they regularly contact me now and ask if I'm looking for work. Your wife may find some useful info on their website, and they can advise her what areas are most likely to need OT's. Look on seek.co.au for job info, and to get an idea of salary etc

Just now, Serendipity said:

The honest answer is I don't know. All I can say is that there are definitely opportunities out here, it may take some time and you may have to go where the work is, but eventually she would. I know when my employer was looking to recruit a few months ago they were happy to consider new grads and overseas trained OT's.

The stage 2 supervised practice is fairly straightforward, just a lot of paperwork (and more money!!)

Maybe have a chat with one of the agencies. I registered with global health source  when I was in the UK and they regularly contact me now and ask if I'm looking for work. Your wife may find some useful info on their website, and they can advise her what areas are most likely to need OT's. Look on seek.co.au for job info, and to get an idea of salary etc

that was meant to seek.com.au !!

Thanks Serendipity for your advice. Can i ask what agent you went with. I have been in contacted with a few agents, and have been looking at seek but its quite tricky because if we do get a visa (489 regional) that means we can only go to that area. And looking there are normally only a few jobs at a time. ;) your regain is not on there, which is a shame because it looks lovely. We are going to go for it, and let fate take its course.

Look at globalhealth.com.au 

Yes we are on the Central Coast in NSW and it is amazing. Is there a reason your wife is not going for a 189? If there's any chance you could get that it would be much better with more opportunities. Good luck, but happy to help with any questions.

22 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Look at globalhealth.com.au 

Yes we are on the Central Coast in NSW and it is amazing. Is there a reason your wife is not going for a 189? If there's any chance you could get that it would be much better with more opportunities. Good luck, but happy to help with any questions.

Hi

There is a lot going against us ie her age 42, no work experience, she will have to get top marks on the Ielts test just to get 20 points, just to get 60 points over all. So the agents are saying that's are only real option. And that's not a given. We have been trying since 2011. I'm a bricklayer and thought i could go on my points but then the world recession hit and bricklaying come of the SOL list. Its back on now but i have been doing building maintenance for the past 12 years so don't qualify anymore.:( two step forward one back:rolleyes: and thank you for helping us

How many points does she get once she's qualified as an OT? And when does she qualify? Does she make 60 with just her OT degree if she gets over 8's on IELTS? I just had a quick reccy of the points and she may only have 50??

If she's capable of doing a degree she's capable of getting 8+ on IELTS or similar- she can research and do on line tests, there's almost a formulation that you learn and apply when you do the exam, it's very little about about what you know (ie they're not testing your knowledge on a subject) and very much about how you say it, write it understand it etc.  I paid to do a three hour course (designed for people who are native english speaker and need 8+ on the exam for emigration purposes) before I sat the exam and was given some very useful info on techniques for the exam. I had a letter structured in my head, an essay structured, and had studied how the questions are likely to go and how I may be caught out. I'm not saying it's easier but do some research and keep calm and it's doable.

She could do the IELTS now - it's valid for a few years I think? Always has the option to retake. As long as she's under 45 when she does the EOI, her age isn't a problem (as far as I know). Her lack of work experience as an OT may be the issue as she doesn't have time to get enough experience to gain any points, and however experienced she is in other related health care roles, none will count toward the skills assessment or visa unfortunately. 

apparently you get 5 for the state regional and i think i got 5 for having a trade or 5 for her age, one of them. I know we only just got 60 that's why we are going for the 489 and not the 189 no 5  points for the 189.:$ I think the biggest hurdle like you say  is the no work experience. But hay ho we will try:)

16 minutes ago, y not said:

apparently you get 5 for the state regional and i think i got 5 for having a trade or 5 for her age, one of them. I know we only just got 60 that's why we are going for the 489 and not the 189 no 5  points for the 189.:$ I think the biggest hurdle like you say  is the no work experience. But hay ho we will try:)

sorry apparently 10 points for 489 regional

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 00:02, Serendipity said:

Hi me again:) Global Health Source seems like a really good company, they got straight back, and offered to help when we need it. So thanks for saying about them. Hope your having a good week.

• 2 years later...