Transferring money made from UK property sale - tax advice

Gemsallen

9 hours ago, Gemsallen said:

Hi, been living in Australia for years and now dual bristish and Australian citizen. I’ve sold my UK property and wondered if anyone has done the same and how that effected their Australian tax return? Do you have to pay capacitor gains tax? How does it work? 

I think you mean capital gains tax not capacitor gains tax. A capital gain could have a big impact on your Australian tax return - but there are exemptions that will reduce it significantly or even extinguish it altogether. You don't pay CGT on your home for example - and that can continue for 6 years after you stop living there. The gain is cut in half if you've held the asset for more than a year. You don't pay any CGT on gains that were made before you became liable to Australian Tax (i.e. the base would be the value of the property when you moved to Australia permanently not what you paid for it). Once the taxable capital gain is worked out after all these adjustment it's added to the rest of your income for the year and that's the amount you pay tax on (there's no separate CGT payment as such).

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Gemsallen said:

Hi, been living in Australia for years and now dual bristish and Australian citizen. I’ve sold my UK property and wondered if anyone has done the same and how that effected their Australian tax return? Do you have to pay capacitor gains tax? How does it work? 

You may have to pay CGT (Capital Gains Tax) but only if there is a gain of course.

Whether there is a gain or not will depend broadly on the value of the property when you became Australian resident in Aussie Dollars (ie exchange rate at that date) against the value of the sale again in Aussie Dollars on that date.

If there is a gain as Ken says above there then may be exemptions so that it is mitigated or even extinguished altogether.

Have you also considered the UK side of things.....................capital gains tax was introduced on residential property for non UK residents from (I think) April 2015.

I recommend that you seek UK and Australian Tax advice to discuss any gains that may apply to you and what potential exemptions may apply if a capital gain does exist.

Regards

Andy

Yes, as Andy says, since 06/04/2015 there's been a CGT position in the UK to consider as well as (possibly) in Australia - including the obligation to lodge a Non Resident CGT Return with HM Revenue within 30 days of the sale completing, whether or not you have any CGT to pay.

Late lodgment of the NRCGT return can open you up to late filing penalties.

Best regards.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 13/01/2018 at 15:49, NicF said:

Actually I think @Alan Collett from GM Tax might be a better bet. (Not that I don’t think Andy isn’t wonderful but it’s not really his area of expertise).

Alan is no longer working as Go Matilda Tax hence I recommended a financial advisor who could pass him to someone more knowledgeable.