and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Toots

Shortage of fruit pickers in Tassie

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

The government was warned by employers that there would be a serious shortage of pickers when it increased the taxation levels on backpackers.  This was even before the stories of exploitation.  So no one should be surprised at the outcome.

26 minutes ago, Skani said:

The government was warned by employers that there would be a serious shortage of pickers when it increased the taxation levels on backpackers.  This was even before the stories of exploitation.  So no one should be surprised at the outcome.

I've recently noticed a lot of Pacific Islanders doing farm work around Devonport.  An employer said they are hard workers and very reliable.  They always look very cheerful too whenever I see them around.

Yes, there's a special Seasonal Work Program for Pacific Islanders in regional areas at harvest time.  One employer I heard said they're becoming like family....returning to the same place each year.   I think they are allowed to stay for up to 7 months in any one year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By meharvey1
        Hi all,
        My partner and I are moving to Oz Feb 19th 2018 with our WHVs and are looking for advice on travel and health insurance.
        We've been looking at the Medicare Reciprocal Health Care Programme and wondered if anyone has had experience using it, and if it is adequate enough as health insurance cover for the year?
        We've also been looking at combined travel/health care with colombus direct (recommended by the visa bureau), which is priced at £495.
        If the Medicare cover is enough, do people recommend a basic 'gadget' travel insurance for our cash etc, rather than getting the combined insurance (which has rather large figures!)
        Thanks
        Megan
      • By ssgaurav2000
        Hi All
        I recently received email saying that Case office was assigned to my case for 489 visa 
        Al though my Job code is not in State list but its in consolidated list . 
        What should i expect next ?

I have 75 points with State sponsorship 

Thanks 

• By jessicamc93
        Hey, I was wondering could anyone help me as I am really stressing over my second year working holiday visa. I applied for my second year working holiday visa at the end of November, with my first year expiring in December, and received an email today saying they require more information, so therefore my application is being investigated. I completed my regional work from the 29th of may to the 29th of September so 4 months all in. The post code and work completed are fine as I was working as a labourer in a regional area. It is the hours I am worried about, I worked between 4-6 days a week, however some days I only worked as little as 5 hours. On the Australian government website it  states "One full day of work is defined as having worked the minimum number of hours considered to be a standard day by the particular industry in which the applicant is employed."I'm not even sure what the minimum hours for construction are as I can't find the information online. Has anyone been investigated and had a similar experience or able to provide me with any advice? My payslips state the hours worked in a two week period and not the amount of hours work on any given day. If anyone can offer any help it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance 
      • By Cerberus1
        The Property Council says that Tasmania should be aiming to attract a further 34,000 residents by 2022 to ensure the state’s economic renaissance continues.
        Brian Wightman, the council’s Tasmanian executive director said the target figure should be 552,500 residents — based on an Australian average growth rate of 1.6% and a base of 518,500 — and could done by targeting working-age interstate and international migrants to drive economic and social improvements.
        Mr Wightman said whichever party forms government after the coming state election needs to establish “an ambitious and intermediate” population target for the next four years.
        The Liberal Government’s population growth strategy aims to increase the state’s population to 650,000 by 2050, but Mr Wightman said establishing an intermediate target would provide impetus for implementing the existing one.
        “The incoming state government needs to set a population target for 2022, and enact a range of strategies, including investing in growth,”.
        “Working-age interstate and international migrants must be our target market with their ability to drive economic and social improvement the key to our future.”
        When the Liberals announced the target of 650,000 in 2014, both Labor and the Greens both said they would not be putting target figures on the state’s future population.
        Last year, Tasmania’s population grew at its fastest rate in six years but it still lags behind the national average.
        Demographer Lisa Denny says significant planning and investment will be needed to turbocharge the growth.
        “There are two main contributors to population growth in Tasmania — migration and natural increase,” she said.
        “Both of those are influenced by two things, one is the economic performance of the state and how it compares to the rest of Australia and the other is the size of the reproductive cohort.
        “To get to where we want to be will actually require significant planning and investment in a range of factors and this won’t be easy to achieve.
        “Yes you want migrants, but you also want them of the right age profile to contribute to natural increase.”
        Ms Denny said going after interstate and international migrants would help the state deal with its skill shortages but it needed to be targeted to provide the services that the state needed.
        Founding member of the Migrant Resource Centre Ike Naqvi — who came to Tasmania in the 1960s to study geology but has gone on to become a business leader — agreed that the state should be targeted in who it tries to attract.
        “I absolutely agree in bringing in skilled migrants,” he said. “But we need to make sure there are jobs for them, we need to have those structures in place.
        “We need to look at those areas where the skills are needed, such as IT.”
      • By JockinTas
        Today in Devonport we have a cloudless blue sky, no wind at all and it's 25C.