Shortage of fruit pickers in Tassie

Toots

The government was warned by employers that there would be a serious shortage of pickers when it increased the taxation levels on backpackers.  This was even before the stories of exploitation.  So no one should be surprised at the outcome.

26 minutes ago, Skani said:

The government was warned by employers that there would be a serious shortage of pickers when it increased the taxation levels on backpackers.  This was even before the stories of exploitation.  So no one should be surprised at the outcome.

I've recently noticed a lot of Pacific Islanders doing farm work around Devonport.  An employer said they are hard workers and very reliable.  They always look very cheerful too whenever I see them around.

Yes, there's a special Seasonal Work Program for Pacific Islanders in regional areas at harvest time.  One employer I heard said they're becoming like family....returning to the same place each year.   I think they are allowed to stay for up to 7 months in any one year.

• 2 weeks later...

why not advertise for students who are travelling around Aus.  They would appreciate earning some money providing the accommodation was

reasonable.  In France pickers are treated very well and from what I can see a lovely lunch is provided, even a glass of wine.  If you want people

to work hard look after them and don't abuse.  The word soon gets out.

10 hours ago, libbye said:

why not advertise for students who are travelling around Aus. 

They have been the majority of the fruit pickers/seasonal harvest workers  in the past - students and young people travelling around Australia.

But last year the Australian government changed the way in which their earnings were taxed and it is now much  less attractive financially.   The government was warned by worried farmers that the change would seriously affect the numbers of pickers they could recruit - but ignored them in their normal arrogant fashion.  :rolleyes:

I was talking to a (retired) couple from Qld who are travelling here at the moment.  They do casual fruit picking when they stop somewhere for a while and enjoy meeting people from all over the world plus earning a bit of money.  They are very fit and healthy so why not.

The new tax is a bit rough isn't it?  they don't earn that much do they?  The farmers in the uk are worried about brexit too because the pickers they've

had coming year after year are concerned and backing off.  What a world we live in!   The conditions provided are excellent and they're more like

family.

Under the old rules they  didn't pay any tax on the first $18000 in a financial year  (which is the same as any Australian resident) .   It enabled them to build up a nest egg for travelling in between jobs.   Now they pay 15% tax from the first dollar earned....which is a significant decrease for temporary and casual work.