Inbuilt sat nav UK car in Oz

Apollo

59 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well. Quick question, does anyone know (preferably first hand) whether a UK sat nav can be converted to work in Oz? This is an inbuilt one in a Lexus IS model UK. Thanks heaps.

Does it take an SD memory card?

My Renault you just change the card.

4 minutes ago, Apollo said:
27 minutes ago, newjez said:
Does it take an SD memory card?
My Renault you just change the card.

Not sure. I will check ta. I think it does not have it though.

If it has a built in memory, you may need to talk to your manufacturers. 

Edited by newjez

4 hours ago, Apollo said:
4 hours ago, newjez said:
If it has a built in memory, you may need to talk to your manufacturers. 

Sounds like a fuff. Thanks though. Will see if someone has been in the situation.

Just out of interest, do your maps already include Europe? At the very least I would have thought they would include these, or be easily upgradable for Europe. Are you sure they don't already include Australia? Have you tried to plot a journey there?

Just out of interest, do your maps already include Europe? At the very least I would have thought they would include these, or be easily upgradable for Europe. Are you sure they don't already include Australia? Have you tried to plot a journey there?
I have just bought this car and haven't collected it yet. Will have a thorough look at it at the weekend. I am under the impression that European models would not include Australia maps on them.

Checked the car. It does have all European countries there and nowt else[emoji26]

Google maps on your phone mate. Download the maps at home on WiFi, thus no data to use whilst navigating.
Well that's an idea but struggling to see if there's even a point bringing a car that has a sat nav that won't work if I can buy one that has and works there for similar price when I include shipping.

9 minutes ago, Apollo said:
3 hours ago, DukeNinja said:
Google maps on your phone mate. Download the maps at home on WiFi, thus no data to use whilst navigating.

Well that's an idea but struggling to see if there's even a point bringing a car that has a sat nav that won't work if I can buy one that has and works there for similar price when I include shipping.

New cars, especially Japanese cars are often cheaper in Australia. It is true that second hand cars often hold their value for longer, and are often more expensive, but new can be cheaper. Have a look at a few online dealerships and see what an equivalent spec would be. It may be easier in the long run, as getting parts should be easier on an Australian bought car. Plus factor in the import costs.

Edited by newjez

New cars, especially Japanese cars are often cheaper in Australia. It is true that second hand cars often hold their value for longer, and are often more expensive, but new can be cheaper. Have a look at a few online dealerships and see what an equivalent spec would be. It may be easier in the long run, as getting parts should be easier on an Australian bought car. Plus factor in the import costs.
Thanks. Will browse through and see. Thing is if I sell my car here I won't get very much for it probably GBP6k but can get similar car over in Oz for AUS20k. That's a whopping GBP5.5k difference. I am sure shipping will be cheaper no? Also, I read an article saying imported cars are hard and often expensive to insure so this must mean they are also hard to sell right? In your opinion, is it even worth it bringing it over?

I echo the comment that new cars can be cheaper. At the moment I think VW have got a sale, and you can probably get a new Polo for $15k.

Or a Hyundai i30 for $20k.

Also remember that your salary is likely going to be higher, making the above prices technically cheaper than the UK.

I've just bought a new Yamaha for $12.6k, which is the same as the UK market, however, my salary is 1.7 times that is the UK, making the real cost of the bike about $7.5k

That's my justification for my new toy anyway!

Edited by DukeNinja

I echo the comment that new cars can be cheaper. At the moment I think VW have got a sale, and you can probably get a new Polo for $15k.
Also remember that your salary is likely going to be higher, making the above prices technically cheaper than the UK.
I've just bought a new Yamaha for $12.6k, which is the same as the UK market, however, my salary is 1.7 times that is the UK, making the real cost of the bike about $7.5k
I hadn't thought about it that way. It seems if you are working there and buying there you are okay. The worst thing is bringing UK money over to spend on a car there. I guess I may just have to by a banger for a bit when I get in until I start earning Oz $. Sounds about right?

Defo. Once you're earning Aussie $$$ it's makes expenses like these more bearable. You might still want to consider a new small car though, as the savings to be had are significant, whereas used cars do not often represent good value for money.

Also, you need to start thinking about how to get an active credit rating, IE some sort of finance etc...

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 1

Defo. Once you're earning Aussie $$$ it's makes expenses like these more bearable. You might still want to consider a new small car though, as the savings to be had are significant, whereas used cars do not often represent good value for money.

Also, you need to start thinking about how to get an active credit rating, IE some sort of finance etc...
True. Especially in light of applying for a mortgage in future. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

On 22/01/2018 at 01:18, Apollo said:
On 21/01/2018 at 19:10, DukeNinja said:

I hadn't thought about it that way. It seems if you are working there and buying there you are okay. The worst thing is bringing UK money over to spend on a car there. I guess I may just have to by a banger for a bit when I get in until I start earning Oz $. Sounds about right?

Unless your car is a collectors item and toy for use on Sundays it may not be worth doing. Personally imported cars could be harder to sell because of identification plate issues and the big issue is that, although the same model car may be on sale here, there can be differences that makes picking up spares not so easy and may require an overseas order. For example we recently hired a brilliant Hyundai i30 in the UK which was super economical, performed very well. Checking back here it is not available with the same engine.  You only need a slightly different part number from the same manufacturer for it all to fall apart. You may find some popular European cars are relatively cheap here because if you think you are going to pull into a Peugeot dealer in Mount Isa to get a headlight replaced or worse still a water pump, you may be disappointed. Check out John Cadogan on YouTube for some insights or at least for a laugh.

Unless your car is a collectors item and toy for use on Sundays it may not be worth doing. Personally imported cars could be harder to sell because of identification plate issues and the big issue is that, although the same model car may be on sale here, there can be differences that makes picking up spares not so easy and may require an overseas order. For example we recently hired a brilliant Hyundai i30 in the UK which was super economical, performed very well. Checking back here it is not available with the same engine.  You only need a slightly different part number from the same manufacturer for it all to fall apart. You may find some popular European cars are relatively cheap here because if you think you are going to pull into a Peugeot dealer in Mount Isa to get a headlight replaced or worse still a water pump, you may be disappointed. Check out John Cadogan on YouTube for some insights or at least for a laugh.
I completely get what you are saying. I have decided to just sell my present car here with a bit of a heavy heart. It performs like new with only 46k miles on the clock and full dealership history. The worry is always that I'd part with this and end up with some lemon over in Oz and will start comparing. I understand about parts my uncle in Perth had to park his car for 6 weeks when his tyres wore off to illegal levels as they were being shipped from Korea. What I will probably do is buy a run around and use it while I sus out what the cars over there are about. Can $5k get me a decent motor to use for about 6 to 12 months?

25 minutes ago, Apollo said:
43 minutes ago, Phil-99 said:

I completely get what you are saying. I have decided to just sell my present car here with a bit of a heavy heart. It performs like new with only 46k miles on the clock and full dealership history. The worry is always that I'd part with this and end up with some lemon over in Oz and will start comparing. I understand about parts my uncle in Perth had to park his car for 6 weeks when his tyres wore off to illegal levels as they were being shipped from Korea. What I will probably do is buy a run around and use it while I sus out what the cars over there are about. Can $5k get me a decent motor to use for about 6 to 12 months?

Can you pm me with details on the car you are selling, we are looking at buying one when we are over in March.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 09:30, Apollo said:
On 24/01/2018 at 09:12, Phil-99 said:

You should check out Carsales com.au . What you and I consider a decent motor may differ quite a bit. I recently sold my immaculate Mercedes, 9 years old with 62k miles on the clock. With full dealer service history sold for $9000. So very sorry to see it go, but the next service was going to be over $2000. I also didn’t need two cars. Cars don’t rust here, but will suffer sun damage to paintwork and upholstery and rubber seals on windows. In some states there is is no “MOT”, so my Nissan Patrol has never been inspected since the day I bought it in 2011. I do get it serviced so I rely on the mechanics to keep me safe. $5000 will get a reasonable safe car, but $6500 may be better. You’re probably going to want air con too! Exciting times ahead for you!

good luck

On 1/24/2018 at 10:00, Apollo said:

FWIW, we bought a runaround where we arrived back in 2013. Paid about $6,000 for it. It was a Holden Astra, had reasonably low KM's on the clock, a good service history and 11 months rego. From a dealer. We are only just selling it now, over 4.5 year later! Its been our main car, our only car in fact and its kept on going. We've looked after it, serviced it regularly, done the work as its needed and one set of new tyres. We've put almost 100,000km on the clock in that time too. A couple of big jobs as water pump went so it was that and a new timing belt, plus brakes etc when needed doing. We are only selling it now as decided to make the most of Honda's 7 year warranty and roadside assist on their end of year run out and bought ourselves a brand new one :D Its a good price too which is helping. I won't miss our old car at all but it has done us well when we only intended to own it for 6-12 months. TBH that it lasted so long was great as the way people drive here, I don't see the point of splashing out a huge amount of cash for a big SUV or some such that is probably not going to leave the city area and its surrounds more than a few times a year. Also it meant we could put that money to other things rather than splashing out on a newer car. Worked well for us :)

Good luck.