Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


General visa advice (nurse applying for 189)

Recommended Posts

Apologies in advance for an extremely long post, but this has been such a helpful forum for me that after submitting my final top up degree assignment today I thought it was time to put all the information I've read on here to some use :)

I've been weighing up options RE visa and anmac/ahpra, if anyone can offer advice on the below I'd be really grateful :) I'm about to book my ielts so this could affect whether or not I do the general (more likely to get higher points) or the academic if I go via New Zealand trans tasman route...

Option 1 is to apply for nursing registration through New Zealand and then get trans Tasman registration with Australia through AHPRA and do modified anmac which will enable me to apply for visas for myself, husband and toddler (this is the more costly option)

Option 2 is to wait for my top up degree, send in my diploma transcripts and degree transcripts (Hertfordshire uni for adult nursing diploma completed 2013 and Bedfordshire uni for my degree just finished) and do full anmac assessment and visa and leave ahpra till we're closer to having the visa granted

We've also been in contact with an immigration agent who has advised us to simply do it with my top up degree but wants either £2,500 for a full service or £1,500 for a light touch where they simply answer questions and check paperwork before we submit it...

Thanks for reading my assignment

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on what sort of visa you're after. If you wanted to go for the 457 Sponsorship route, you need to satisfy the criteria as per policy and that would include work experience, the English requirements with a min score, etc. This will also involve looking for the right employer who is willing to sponsor, location as most hospitals have now stopped sponsoring nurses from overseas and the prospect of finding the right job for you- you will. have to stick with that employer for at least 2 years until you figure out what your next move is. This can be quite a challenge if you don't like the role, there's no way out as you are sponsored.


The PR route is another thing. Its a skill-based merit so you need to get a certain number of points for you to meet the requirements. You may even have to use your partner's qualifications to gain some points as you will end up applying together to up your chances of getting an invite/offer. This will also depend on a number of factors: 

-Skilled Occupation list changes every year(may/may not see the job listed currently appropriate for your visa)

-Location (job depends on which states needs those workers the most; mostly Regional)

-Time (Processing time usually takes longer now between 10 and 18 months)

457:Granted:31 Feb 2015 Valid for 4 years;

PR189: Lodged 18 Jul 2015--> Granted:23 Feb 2016

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got Aus RN registration through Trans Tasman from NZ and now working in Australia applying 189 RSMS. It seemed that you haven’t got registration which restricts you you work in Australia as a nurse.

Both countries NZ and Aus nursing councils need ENGLISH test score 7 or B to apply for the registration.

If you are British, I think you don’t need any English test. Just have to send a paperwork to NZ nursing council and then wait. You don’t even need to go to NZ. After that go for trans tasman application. I knew an UK RN who got Australia registration in a very short time via this way.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now