Horse Trailer

roomummy

Hello everyone, Happy New Year!

I have a question about shipping my Ifor Williams HB505 horse trailer. It's worth approx £2000 ($3460ish) and is 10years old, in excellent condition...but to replace it in Australia will be $12,000+

It won't fit in a shipping container from what I can tell. Can anyone give advise on shipping such an item? Would it be worth the hassle? I've also got a decent Yamaha Big Bear quad bike which is expensive to replace, it 20years old but it's a proper price of kit that's mechanically sound. If cleaned it properly would that be allowed in a container with our other personal items and furniture?

Thank you :)

Hi roomummy, can’t help with personal experience but the shipping company should be able to tell you about the quad bike in the container I would have thought and have you contacted @Iron Chefhere on the site? He does cars but might be able to assist with the horse float issue. Horse poo and hay and feed trapped in the trailer would send customs here into a meltdown I would think so it would have to be fumigated to within an inch of its life, all that bacteria and bugs etc. 

I always think you can’t be the first person to have wanted to do this. It might not be a common occurrence but someone else must have done it before. 

All the best, are you the lady bringing the Dales over?

Hi roomummy, can’t help with personal experience but the shipping company should be able to tell you about the quad bike in the container I would have thought and have you contacted [mention=219508]Iron Chef[/mention]here on the site? He does cars but might be able to assist with the horse float issue. Horse poo and hay and feed trapped in the trailer would send customs here into a meltdown I would think so it would have to be fumigated to within an inch of its life, all that bacteria and bugs etc. 
I always think you can’t be the first person to have wanted to do this. It might not be a common occurrence but someone else must have done it before. 
All the best, are you the lady bringing the Dales over?

Hi Amber, thanks for your reply. Yes that's me, with the Dales ponies :)
I'm aware it would need specific regulated cleaning. I have some knowledge in the international standards for this with the current chemical cleaning products etc. The trailer is aluminium and could be thoroughly disinfected and steam cleaned. I'm guessing its all too expensive to ship but it's just so annoying selling things you've worked so hard to get. One of the downsides to relocation. [emoji57]

7 hours ago, roomummy said:

Hi Amber, thanks for your reply. Yes that's me, with the Dales ponies :)
I'm aware it would need specific regulated cleaning. I have some knowledge in the international standards for this with the current chemical cleaning products etc. The trailer is aluminium and could be thoroughly disinfected and steam cleaned. I'm guessing its all too expensive to ship but it's just so annoying selling things you've worked so hard to get. One of the downsides to relocation. emoji57.png

Indeed it is. Try iron chef on here. He may be able to help. Seems a shame to leave it behind. They ain’t cheap. Good luck and we look forward to seeing those lovely horses here soon. 

• 9 months later...

Sadly not Amber. All of my investigations have concluded that shipping large single items is just too expensive to be worth the hassle. Mostly due to duty and extensive customs paperwork. I'm now selling my trailer in the UK and purchasing the new model in oz at more than twice the price here. I am considered exporting my Land Rover Discovery that I use to tow it, which although isn't a great financial choice seems to be more beneficial. Oh...on another note, we have moved into our rented house so are just 10months from flying the ponies! 😁

6 hours ago, roomummy said:

Sadly not Amber. All of my investigations have concluded that shipping large single items is just too expensive to be worth the hassle. Mostly due to duty and extensive customs paperwork. I'm now selling my trailer in the UK and purchasing the new model in oz at more than twice the price here. I am considered exporting my Land Rover Discovery that I use to tow it, which although isn't a great financial choice seems to be more beneficial. Oh...on another note, we have moved into our rented house so are just 10months from flying the ponies! 😁

☹️

What a pain!

At least you are organised now, if disappointed. 

Exciting times. Can’t imagine the stress of flying horses tbh. Go you! 😀

• 3 months later...

Hi, hoping for your advice. I’m going the other way, back to uk. Not taking horses sadly, but do want to take a lot of my good tack. Moving companies seem unwilling to give me advice on cleaning of horse gear before shipping. They say contact uk customs. Did you bring over horse rugs or any gear in a container? Thanks

Edited by chelseafan

6 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Hi, hoping for your advice. I’m going the other way, back to uk. Not taking horses sadly, but do want to take a lot of my good tack. Moving companies seem unwilling to give me advice on cleaning of horse gear before shipping. They say contact uk customs. Did you bring over horse rugs or any gear in a container? Thanks

I’d have thought a good clean would be enough. Grease it all up if it is going to be stuck in a dry container for a couple of months. UK customs tend to be interested in things they can charge you VAT on rather than bio hazards like Australia. Declare it all on your TOR, it should be fine. Clean all the stirrups and bits so no gunk/mud on them and I wouldn’t see an issue. Same with the rugs. Clean them as well as you can. Good brush off and a soapy wash.

Should add I haven’t done this, but didn’t see much about cleaning things on the UK government website, just declaring things for VAT. I moved vacuums and a cat run and golf clubs, none of which were checked.

As an aside Aldi were selling numnahs yesterday......🤔

8 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Great thanks. I’d planned to have everything clean but there will be inevitably be some attached horse hair. But I was thinking surely people move dog and cat beds that have the odd bit of hair on them even though clean.

Have you had a look at the uk customs site? 

Can’t think that the hair would be amassive issue. Have a read of their site, there’s not much on there, but again they aren’t worried about much. Things like live animals,exotics, protected species. Then tobacco, alcohol, cash. Declaring you have owned the stuffyou are shipping for more than 12 months. Can’t think of much else.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, chelseafan said:

Thanks. Yes I went on website, nothing really specific to this. Tried calling a number but it was not the right number, got to a recording about nothing related.

Sounds about right! Phone numbers that go nowhere!

I reckon you’ll be fine. The actual live horse would be more of an issue. They’ve suspended racing here at the moment due to equine flu......🙁

Hello, I'm so sorry I can't really help with the question as I didn't buy the tack I'm taking home in Australia. It's all British made and purchased new. Going from the Aussie quarantine guides it has to be cleaned with a suitable product (Vircon) and where it has wool stuffing etc it may need a invoice or professional statement from the maker to confirm. I think from Oz to UK will be less fussy, seems the poms don't mind so much, but check with the carrier. I will be sending mine (clearly ladled, cleaned and packed) with my household container. I'm taking the advise of the shipper and dealing directly with Australian authority to be sure.
Good luck with the move.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 17:29, Amber Snowball said:

Have you had a look at the uk customs site? 

Can’t think that the hair would be amassive issue. Have a read of their site, there’s not much on there, but again they aren’t worried about much. Things like live animals,exotics, protected species. Then tobacco, alcohol, cash. Declaring you have owned the stuffyou are shipping for more than 12 months. Can’t think of much else.

Good luck!

I brought a material Arabian bridle with me  along with some other bits and the shippers actually told me to put them in my case and not the container as customs would frown upon horse hair.. I think all the OP can do is clean as best she can, and a good smell of Jeyes inside the trailer will alert customs to the fact you have cleaned.

Cal x

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

I brought a material Arabian bridle with me  along with some other bits and the shippers actually told me to put them in my case and not the container as customs would frown upon horse hair.. I think all the OP can do is clean as best she can, and a good smell of Jeyes inside the trailer will alert customs to the fact you have cleaned.

Cal x

Yeah, if it was coming to Australia I would approach it differently but going into the UK they seem less concerned.

• Like 1