EOI invitation rounds

mccusken

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could help to give me an estimate of timescales?

I have applied for expression of interest in the beginning of December for 189 visa for social worker and wondered if anyone knew how long I could be waiting. I applied with 65 points.

I have been doing some reading and believe that other occupations have been offered if they have 70 points but nothing specific to social work.

Thank you for any information you can provide :)

I have thought about it but I would rather not be stuck in one area as we are still not sure if we will go to Melbourne or Brisbane.

We would like to be making the move (if successful) mid 2019 and we've come along way so I am just concerned that this invite could take longer than I anticipated.

I suppose you've got to ask yourself this: Am I prepared to wait as long as needed (bearing in mind you might lose points for age of you're at that borderline point, or even your language test might expire), or am I prepared to sacrifice two years of my life and life in a different state than I originally intended, but with the chance of getting a visa sooner?

Edited by DukeNinja

So long as your points are not prejudiced due to - say - a key birthday coming along maybe give it until 30 June 2018 to receive an invitation.

If you don't get one by then maybe consider going for a State sponsored visa strategy.

My hunch is that we'll see the points threshold for invitations drop as we go into the second half of the program year.   But it's only a hunch!

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 1

Hi,

I am assuming that social worker in one of the non pro-rata occupations, what I have found is that EOI submitted in Nov at 65 points, were looking at 6 months wait, if you could get 5 more points to 70 it would be around a month.

You could go here for an unofficial estimate: http://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invitation-iscahs-23rd-november-2017-update/

BUT this estimate was made in Nov when DIBP were doing 700 invites per draw and since then DIBP has a backlog they have gone down to 300 per draw, so the wait time has probably increased.

What you could do is you can go here: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/Skil   (scroll down to Invitation rounds)

Go through each of the Invitation Rounds to see what the "Date of Effect" was for the 189 non pro rata applications. Your Date of Effect was the day you submitted your EOI. So you will get an invite when the date of effect on that site reaches yours.

From what I could see if that on 22 Nov draw, the date of effect was for 70 points at 30 October, but the two draws in December didn't take any 70 pointers and the unofficial results for the first draw in Jan as found here (http://www.iscah.com/unofficial-skill-select-results-3rd-january-2018/) also show no 70 pointers, this means there is a lot of 70 point backlogs building up on top of your 65 points. As any 70+ point applications submitted after yours will go ahead of you in the queue and need to be invited first. 

As Alan mentioned, if you do not have any Birthdays coming up in the next year that will dock points off you for age you could probably stick it out, but trying to getting 5 more points from somewhere would be your best bet.

Thanks.

Hi lothar,
Thank you for your reply. I have looked at those links and can understand what you are saying. I am ok age wise as I have a few years before I would lose any points there and only completed my skills and PTE end of 2017. In fact by October I would have a further year of experience that should give me another 5 points. That being said I have a lot of plans and a child that would need to start University by 2020 so I want to get going as soon as.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens for the next few rounds and go from there.