457 Questions - What code and PR/renew short term

Jd295

Hey,

Long time lurker here. Long post, sorry, a mixture of nervous and excited. 

Having been rejected for me me dream job on my Birthday just before Xmas, I was surprised last week to wake up to an offer email. I had spoken to the hiring manager who decided to overrule the decision.

Im awaiting to finalise negotiating when the manager is back off sick leave (he has no voice to negotiate with!). Meanwhile I’m trying to clarify visa options to help negotiate. 

Im in a weird situation, where my job doesn’t actually fit any ANZSCO code directly as I’m in a niche sciency engineeringy service, but would be managing an APAC business unit in the mining sector. 

I could directly match one on the Long Term (Corporate General Manager) if they accept I’m being promoted based on technical and business ability, but haven’t directly held the position before. I see the skills assessment wants details on current job organogram and number of direct reports.... I have a weird job / company and don’t have either! Or I’d fit corporate services manager - but that’s a short term list role. 

I am am also a chemist and an process engineer (degree in each) and would probably pass skills test in either discipline.

I’ve asked the HR to contact their MARA with job descriptions and my CV and advise what ANZSCO code they would advise as suitable, and I’ve done a lot of reading. 

As I won’t hear back for a while (MARA is on hols) I’d appreciate some advice. I’m fretting and googling like mad. Anticipation, anxiety and excitement are killing me. 

1) Do they skills assess every role, or do they trust the companies judgement in hiring a suitable candidate? (I’m suitable due to expert knowledge in a field that doesn’t exist on ANZSCO and they can’t hire locally, but not managerial experience)

2) If I we’re to go in a short term 2 year, can it be renewed and is there any chance of PR? Is the TSS going to be any better?

Chances are after 4 I’d be moving off to another expat role unless I find he love of my life and finally settle and marry. (I thank the plebiscite and the wonderful voters for my ability to marry in Australia, sorry about the cost!)

3) I assume starting the role managing remotely doing business trips for a couple of weeks every few months whilst awaiting a visa would look dodgy? (I’ve used my WH visa, and have only been on one further business trip recently).

4) Some friends of mine just got intercompany transfers on 457 in 3 weeks, is there any way a MARA can push through? Waiting 88 days or up to 8 months before handing in my notice would drive me mad!

Any advice welcome, and look forward to meeting some of you for a schooner or three. 

Edited by Jd295

30 minutes ago, Jd295 said:

Hey,

Long time lurker here. Long post, sorry, a mixture of nervous and excited. 

Having been rejected for me me dream job on my Birthday just before Xmas, I was surprised last week to wake up to an offer email. I had spoken to the hiring manager who decided to overrule the decision.

Im awaiting to finalise negotiating when the manager is back off sick leave (he has no voice to negotiate with!). Meanwhile I’m trying to clarify visa options to help negotiate. 

Im in a weird situation, where my job doesn’t actually fit any ANZSCO code directly as I’m in a niche sciency engineeringy service, but would be managing an APAC business unit in the mining sector. 

I could directly match one on the Long Term (Corporate General Manager) if they accept I’m being promoted based on technical and business ability, but haven’t directly held the position before. I see the skills assessment wants details on current job organogram and number of direct reports.... I have a weird job / company and don’t have either! Or I’d fit corporate services manager - but that’s a short term list role. 

I am am also a chemist and an process engineer (degree in each) and would probably pass skills test in either discipline.

I’ve asked the HR to contact their MARA with job descriptions and my CV and advise what ANZSCO code they would advise as suitable, and I’ve done a lot of reading. 

As I won’t hear back for a while (MARA is on hols) I’d appreciate some advice. I’m fretting and googling like mad. Anticipation, anxiety and excitement are killing me. 

1) Do they skills assess every role, or do they trust the companies judgement in hiring a suitable candidate? (I’m suitable due to expert knowledge in a field that doesn’t exist on ANZSCO and they can’t hire locally, but not managerial experience)

2) If I we’re to go in a short term 2 year, can it be renewed and is there any chance of PR? Is the TSS going to be any better?

Chances are after 4 I’d be moving off to another expat role unless I find he love of my life and finally settle and marry. (I thank the plebiscite and the wonderful voters for my ability to marry in Australia, sorry about the cost!)

3) I assume starting the role managing remotely doing business trips for a couple of weeks every few months whilst awaiting a visa would look dodgy? (I’ve used my WH visa, and have only been on one further business trip recently).

4) Some friends of mine just got intercompany transfers on 457 in 3 weeks, is there any way a MARA can push through? Waiting 88 days or up to 8 months before handing in my notice would drive me mad!

Any advice welcome, and look forward to meeting some of you for a schooner or three. 

Sorry MAate, I've got no Idea about Above, will wait for respected other members to comment on it.

21 hours ago, Jd295 said:

MARA is the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority and do not give immigration advice in any capacity.

It depends on the occupation being nominated.

Yes, in most cases it can be renewed. Chance of PR will depend on the occupation and your specific circumstances.

Be careful as if you come to Australia and work without the appropriate visa you could face a visa ban.

Priority processing is available to in some circumstances and for accredited sponsors. All other cases have to wait their turn.