Plumber needs advice around VETASSESS for Skilled Visa

Hi,

My partner and I would really appreciate any help with skilled visas for Plumbers. I have so many questions and I keep getting told different things.

We're wanting to go down the route of skilled migration as a Plumber in Australia. We have both lived in Australia previously for 4 years (I was sponsored)  but left due to family reason back at home in the UK.

So, my partner has a NVQ level 2 in plumbing (Not a level 3). Do you know if NVQ level 2 is enough of a qualification for a Plumber? 

He has over 5 years plumbing experience in the UK, and 2 years plumbing experience in Australia.

We've been advised that to pass VETASSESS you need to have either Gas or Roofing experience. However, he doesn’t have much experience working with gas and no experience in roofing.

My partner is currently completing a Gas course to get the knowledge, would this be enough for VETASSESS? Please can you give us some information about how hard or easy the test was for you.

Any tips, advice or guidance would be great.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeanette

An NVQ 2 is not at the required level for a plumber. However, as a result of doing the Vetassess skills assessment, he will be given an offshore technical skills record (OTSR) which can be used to apply for a provisional licence onshore. Although not a formal qualification as such, the OTSR can be used to generate 10 points in a visa application and is therefore equivalent to a level 3 qualification for assessment purposes (at least it has been so for our clients).

However, bear in mind that Immigration will deduct the first three years of his work experience to count as an 'informal training period', the remainder being counted for points.

He could generate additional points for Australian work experience also.

Regarding the gas or roofing work. He'll need to demonstrate knowledge of one or the other. If he's done some recent learning on the gas side, and can demonstrate this to the assessor's satisfaction then he should be alright, but no guarantees.

I advise doing some research into his overall visa options, or contact a registered agent for a no obligation assessment of his options.

Regards,

Richard

Thank you so much for your response Richard.

Could you recommend a  migration agent who could assist us with the process, especially someone who has good experience working on similar tricky visas as this one? I’d like to send them my partners resume to review.

I know the immigration laws seem to be constantly changing at the moment to we want to start the process ASAP. Once we know we have a good chance, we will be moving back to the UK immediately.

Would you say the first thing we should do is attend Vetassess?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I got successful positive outcome and OTSR  from Vetassess for my skill assessment 

Anzsco code. 334111

Occupation. Plumber ( General ) 

County.  India 

No qualifications submitted. 

In the outcome letter they didn’t mention anything about my work experience. 

Question 

1. On occupation list my assessing authority is TRA. So should I have to do migration point advice with TRA to claim points for qualification and work experience? 

Edited by Anish
Typing mistake

Richard Gregan

Thanks for the reply 

For my employment I have following evidences

1. Work experience certificate 

2. Refrence letter 

3. Salary certificate 

4. Bank statement  ( 10 years )

5. Contract letter

Anything else needed

There is no PF document or Super Annuation documents. Our Company doesn't deducting any money for PF

• 5 months later...

Hi Richard Gregan

Is this still the case? 

I have applied for my visa and had a response from a CO. They are asking for proof of overseas qualifications/trade certs, I had put my OTSR in as evidence as I didnt do a 'recognised' apprenticeship and don't have an NVQ, I have ACS gas certificates and 17 years experience. Now I'm panicking as I think I may have misunderstood the requirements or input the OTSR incorrectly in the EOI?

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sean

• 3 months later...

Hi SeanA 

What did you submit for CO contact? 

I am also in the same situation  (not applied for visa , waiting for 491).  I don't have any apprenticeship or recognised qualification but I have an OTSR and 11 years of work experience. 

I am also panic now 

Hi Anish, I just sent them all of My domestic and commercial ACS gas certificates from when I 1st qualified and every one since, I also sent my various other certificates OFTEC and Fgas etc. 

I'm still waiting on a visa grant and haven't heard anything else since submitting the certificates.

I've since been told that they will take the OTSR as evidence and then subtract 3 years from your experience in lieu of training. But needs to be evidenced via payslips and HMRC tax records.

Also I dont know if it would help if you could get a reference or Stat Dec from whoever you trained with?

Hope this helps.

Thank you SeanA

I have done on the job training with salary. I don't have the certificate, I need to request the HR to provide a training certificate because the initial 2 years I worked as an assistant plumber. 

By the way in EOI while you added OTSR as qualification , the system asked you to enter the date of commence and completion  ( course start date and end date). Can you answer my query?

Which state you got nomination and which place is more suitable to get a job for migrant plumbers.

Hope you get the grant soon

Hey Anish, 

So again just from what I have been advised, if you can prove via references and payslips, tax history and bank statements etc, Immigration will take the 1st 3 years of your work history as 'training' and the rest should count towards your 'experience'. DON'T make the mistake of claiming for years of experience for the whole time otherwise you will come up short on points.

I supplied them with my Gas certs back to 2002 and work history/references etc from 2005 to present so was well above the 10yrs even if they knock years off for 'training' for 15 points.

Which is annoying as I started in 1997 but the company I worked for and was apprntice at has long since wound up.

For the EOI I just put the start dates as the date  I had applied for the skills assessment initial assessment and for completion I put the date that was on the certificate. 

I haven't applied for the 190 state sponsored visa, I've applied for the 189, but from what I've read the easiest state to gain your license when you arrive in Oz is South Australia, so if I were you I would be looking to head to South Australia.

That being said its really hard to find a company to take you on and even harder to complete the Gap training, again from guys I know out there already, most end up as a trade assistants or don't even bother with plumbing as it seems companies only want licensed plumbers with Oz experience. The gap training issue it seems is that no one really knows what is needed so guys I know who have stayed plumbing have more or less had to do the full college course, which costs $Thousands!!!

Good luck with it all.

Thank you for your valuable input. I thought it is easy to enroll for gap training with OTSR but as per your opinion more bigger hurdles are ahead.

🤔 Now I am rethinking my decision to migrate to my dream country AUSTRALIA

Have you seen this thread in British expat forums 

https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/you-plumber-wanting-move-australia-read-me-advice-875897/

Edited by Anish
Add more information

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 18:00, Abal said:

On 12/10/2019 at 00:02, SeanA said:

Hey Anish, 

So again just from what I have been advised, if you can prove via references and payslips, tax history and bank statements etc, Immigration will take the 1st 3 years of your work history as 'training' and the rest should count towards your 'experience'. DON'T make the mistake of claiming for years of experience for the whole time otherwise you will come up short on points.

I supplied them with my Gas certs back to 2002 and work history/references etc from 2005 to present so was well above the 10yrs even if they knock years off for 'training' for 15 points.

Which is annoying as I started in 1997 but the company I worked for and was apprntice at has long since wound up.

For the EOI I just put the start dates as the date  I had applied for the skills assessment initial assessment and for completion I put the date that was on the certificate. 

I haven't applied for the 190 state sponsored visa, I've applied for the 189, but from what I've read the easiest state to gain your license when you arrive in Oz is South Australia, so if I were you I would be looking to head to South Australia.

That being said its really hard to find a company to take you on and even harder to complete the Gap training, again from guys I know out there already, most end up as a trade assistants or don't even bother with plumbing as it seems companies only want licensed plumbers with Oz experience. The gap training issue it seems is that no one really knows what is needed so guys I know who have stayed plumbing have more or less had to do the full college course, which costs $Thousands!!!

Good luck with it all.

Hi SeanA

I have one more query 

While lodging EOI in qualification section the system asks following questions 

Qualification. ....OTSR 

Name of qualification....?

Country of qualification...?

Address of Institution.....?

What I need to fill here? 

What you filled in these columns? 

Edited by Anish
Information