Separation on 489

Pamela

Hi 

I am facing a very confusing situation.  Hope anyone can help me. 

I came to Australia  with my husband in 2016 on 489 visa as secondary applicant. After few months things went wrong and we are seperated now. I want to know

1- can I apply for 887 visa after meeting conditions ? 

2- if there is anything else I need to know. 

Your answers will be appreciated 

thank you 

• 2 years later...
On 09/01/2018 at 19:16, Pamela said:

Hi 

I am facing a very confusing situation.  Hope anyone can help me. 

I came to Australia  with my husband in 2016 on 489 visa as secondary applicant. After few months things went wrong and we are seperated now. I want to know

1- can I apply for 887 visa after meeting conditions ? 

2- if there is anything else I need to know. 

Your answers will be appreciated 

thank you 

Hi Pamela, do you have updates here? I'm in a similar situation

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 10:49, Pamela said:

Hi Lizzy 

yes you can apply for 887. I have applied already, waiting for result . I’ll keep you posted. 

Thank you very much Pamela. Do I need to inform DIBP. We are still living together though but he is planning to leave the country soon, so not sure what to do.

• 11 months later...

Hi @Pamela and Lizzy, 

I am in the same situation like yours. I am on the 489 visa as secondary applicant. We came here in July 2019 but we got separated 9 months back. now we both want to take divorce. I want to know what all are the procedures. can i inform DIBP and file for Divorce? I have met all the condition of 489 visa. Now i have to file for 887 in upcoming months.

Can i inform DIBP and apply divorce before filing 887?

Your answers will be highly appreciated .

waiting for your response.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Pamela,

I hope you read the message. My sister has been going through a lot of stress and trauma due to what is happening in the relationship. When she attaches a form 1023 do you think it is a good thing to describe her situation in a letter with that? 
or she should just fill the form and inform them that she’s separated.

Any answer would be appreciated 

On 02/02/2021 at 14:40, Vims said:

Hi @Pamela and Lizzy, 

I am in the same situation like yours. I am on the 489 visa as secondary applicant. We came here in July 2019 but we got separated 9 months back. now we both want to take divorce. I want to know what all are the procedures. can i inform DIBP and file for Divorce? I have met all the condition of 489 visa. Now i have to file for 887 in upcoming months.

Can i inform DIBP and apply divorce before filing 887?

Your answers will be highly appreciated .

waiting for your response.

Hi vims, how did you go 

please let me know 

thank you 

Hi Ankita

form 1023 is for notification of incorrect answers. Do you mean form 1022 ? If yes then it’s always good to tick all the columns. When you get your visa grant later, it’s mentioned in there that you have to tell if any circumstances change. That’s what I did. Now she just have to mention that she’s seperated due to abusive relationship or whatever the reason is. But if she’s going through other stresses due to this relationship, call the police. 

Thank you so much Pamela. She’s just paranoid since she has been getting mixed responses from everyone and migration agents are telling her to not inform department. I have advised her to notify immigration and the stress that it is causing her. 
thank you so much again, 

Thank you so much Pamela.

I think informing them is the right thing to do as agents are telling her not to inform and wait till she applies for 191 and then disclose it which will automatically make department question her that why didn’t she inform before. 
did your ex partner have to inform as well? 
sorry for asking too many questions but she’s too desperate and I really want to help her.