Student dependent visa

San Jay

Hi there, anyone can help me out? My wife just left for melbourne to study for 4 years. Myself and our 3 kids want to come to Melbourne and support the wife with her studies. Just wondering how much to pay for the health insure and is it possible to pay partially. Like for instance, if we can pay for the 1st year so that we can apply our dependent visa and after that we can renew the insure? Really need help on this.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by San Jay

21 minutes ago, San Jay said:

Hi there, anyone can help me out? My wife just left for melbourne to study for 4 years. Myself and our 3 kids want to come to Melbourne and support the wife with her studies. Just wondering how much to pay for the health insure and is it possible to pay partially. Like for instance, if we can pay for the 1st year so that we can apply our dependent visa and after that we can renew the insure? Really need help on this.

Many thanks in advance.

If she is on Student visa and you want to come along with your 3 kids, ITS NOT A GOOD OPTION AT ALL...I might sound bit bad but as an international and 4 applicants dependents, her studies, her motherhood, and her PT job would not take you all anywhere except ending into fights conflicts and financial crisis unless if you are exceptionally wealthy to bring your overseas money for survival...

1 hour ago, Fida said:

If she is on Student visa and you want to come along with your 3 kids, ITS NOT A GOOD OPTION AT ALL...I might sound bit bad but as an international and 4 applicants dependents, her studies, her motherhood, and her PT job would not take you all anywhere except ending into fights conflicts and financial crisis unless if you are exceptionally wealthy to bring your overseas money for survival...

1 hour ago, San Jay said:

Hi there, anyone can help me out? My wife just left for melbourne to study for 4 years. Myself and our 3 kids want to come to Melbourne and support the wife with her studies. Just wondering how much to pay for the health insure and is it possible to pay partially. Like for instance, if we can pay for the 1st year and after that we can renew the insure? Really need help on this.

Many thanks in advance.

Well thanks for the reply but i can see that i can also be able to work in Australia under the dependent visa. I will take any available job in Melbourne and will also look at areas of my field. As of now im a Senior Fisheries Officer in Samoa. Got my Bachelors in Marine Science from James Cook Uni. So hopefully i will utilise my knowledge somewhere in Melbourne which best fit my skills. Anyways i hope it wont be too costly with document processing.

57 minutes ago, San Jay said:

Well thanks for the reply but i can see that i can also be able to work in Australia under the dependent visa. I will take any available job in Melbourne and will also look at areas of my field. As of now im a Senior Fisheries Officer in Samoa. Got my Bachelors in Marine Science from James Cook Uni. So hopefully i will utilise my knowledge somewhere in Melbourne which best fit my skills. Anyways i hope it wont be too costly with document processing.

46 minutes ago, AJ said:

Do you know you will only be able to work 20 hours per week?

Australia never accepts your overseas experience for local jobs unless you get some local experience, With 3 kids how would you manage to work FT (though yes as a dependent you are allowed to work FT) and lets say if your wife to take care of 3kids then how would she manage kids and her studies Or do you want to put your kids into schools or day cares here which are already way too expensive for Foreigners....

.. I'v seen people suffering here with kids and family (as a Student) 

Well All the Best to you.

You might have to pay school fees for your kids which will put your costs for health insurance into the shade, depending on age could be anywhere between $9k and $13k each - if your wife is on a full Australian scholarship then they may be exempt.

Unless you’re very wealthy this could be a bit risky especially as you might only be allowed to work 20 hpw - depends on your wife’s course level and it is well known that dependents on temporary visas find it harder to secure work in career based occupations as they’re not that attractive to employers and being able to work only part time could be an added impediment..  

If you have stable employment and support where you are, it’d probably be cheaper for your wife to fly home for holidays regularly.

7 hours ago, San Jay said:

I think  as a dependant you'd only be allowed to work 20 hours per week