Primary school teacher wanting to emigrate

Frankie123

Hi guys

i’ve read a few threads already about this but just needed some more up to date advice as I’m feeling a little deflated. 

Basically, I’m a qualified primary school teacher have been for 5 years now. I have just started a masters degree in SEN which will take me a year thereabouts. I was hoping to fulfil the criteria of SEN teacher on the SOL however I’m reading lots of mixed views about certain days needed to be observed from the teacher training in a school etc 

I have a BAhons in English 

PGCE primary 

and just started a SEN masters degree

any help will be appreciated about what steps I need to take etc

im a little confused and overwhelmed by all the info :-) agent didn’t seem brilliant that I contacted today neither 

thanks

Frankie 

2 hours ago, Frankie123 said:

Hi guys

i’ve read a few threads already about this but just needed some more up to date advice as I’m feeling a little deflated. 

Basically, I’m a qualified primary school teacher have been for 5 years now. I have just started a masters degree in SEN which will take me a year thereabouts. I was hoping to fulfil the criteria of SEN teacher on the SOL however I’m reading lots of mixed views about certain days needed to be observed from the teacher training in a school etc 

I have a BAhons in English 

PGCE primary 

and just started a SEN masters degree

any help will be appreciated about what steps I need to take etc

im a little confused and overwhelmed by all the info :-) agent didn’t seem brilliant that I contacted today neither 

thanks

Frankie 

Make sure any agent is registered with  the Australian immigration dept and hunt for one that can show evidence of doing an application for someone with your Quals, I think tho you need to find out about job prospects because 6 or 7 years ago there was a surplus of teachers being produced altho you have experience, you also need to check how you're employed because in QLD you were employed by the state govt and new teachers could end up in some grim places, just check what the situation is now.it may have changed in all states 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Thank you for the info

see that’s the thing, as soon as I start a search I see so much comflicting information it’s very difficult to decipher it all. 

Good idea about the agent, can you recommend any haha? 

I’ve been in touch with a company called concept Australia.

im hoping when I come over in August I can have a look at schools myself too, get a general feel for them and maybe even quiz some of the teachers. :-)

Frank 

x

2 hours ago, Frankie123 said:

Thank you for the info

see that’s the thing, as soon as I start a search I see so much comflicting information it’s very difficult to decipher it all. 

Good idea about the agent, can you recommend any haha? 

I’ve been in touch with a company called concept Australia.

im hoping when I come over in August I can have a look at schools myself too, get a general feel for them and maybe even quiz some of the teachers. :-)

Frank 

x

Do some research on job opportunities as primary school teachers are massively over subscribed with many struggling to find work. What roles are available tend to be in remote towns / outback towns and often come with a big bunch of issues.

Just a quick note on Concept Australia. We are using this company for our 189 application for pre-primary teacher.

We have submitted the visa and are waiting on our request for Medicals and police checks. They have been brilliant. Answers all questions and quick to reply. Thoroughly checks all documents and gives advice on what extra may be needed. They really know the system.

The downside of having an agent is the added cost, but it’s proven to be an invaluable decision as we didn’t want to risk doing it wrong.

On 10/01/2018 at 19:40, Bran said:

Just a quick note on Concept Australia. We are using this company for our 189 application for pre-primary teacher.

We have submitted the visa and are waiting on our request for Medicals and police checks. They have been brilliant. Answers all questions and quick to reply. Thoroughly checks all documents and gives advice on what extra may be needed. They really know the system.

The downside of having an agent is the added cost, but it’s proven to be an invaluable decision as we didn’t want to risk doing it wrong.

Brilliant, I’ll drop one of their agents an email, if you don’t mind me asking, what sort of cost are we talking? 

I think going through an agent is the best option tbh as I’m lost in a sea of information haha

This agent is based in Manchester, he seemed pretty helpful on the phone when I gave him a call.

cheers 

Frank 

As has been said, primary school teaching is very over subscribed and there are many recently qualified Aussies unable to secure year contracts, let alone permanent ones. Its often supply/relief work and that can be unreliable. It takes a while to get known to a school and for teachers to make you one of their go to people to call on. The pile of CV's for relief work at my local primary is vast. And many of the regular teachers already have their go to relief teachers and will call those first before looking at the pile. 

Often the contracts that don't get filled are the ones in remote/rural areas which can be many miles from anything close to what you would be used to facilities and town wise. They can be incredibly hard going but you could find them rewarding also. Many local Aussie teachers opt to do a year or two in rural places as it gives them a plus point on their CV to have worked rural. 

Research carefully where you are considering going and be prepared that there are far more teachers than there are jobs in the popular cities/towns/areas. If you have a language that could help (Japanese and German are two that spring to mind) or another skill set that would add to the CV. 

9 hours ago, snifter said:

As has been said, primary school teaching is very over subscribed and there are many recently qualified Aussies unable to secure year contracts, let alone permanent ones. Its often supply/relief work and that can be unreliable. It takes a while to get known to a school and for teachers to make you one of their go to people to call on. The pile of CV's for relief work at my local primary is vast. And many of the regular teachers already have their go to relief teachers and will call those first before looking at the pile. 

Often the contracts that don't get filled are the ones in remote/rural areas which can be many miles from anything close to what you would be used to facilities and town wise. They can be incredibly hard going but you could find them rewarding also. Many local Aussie teachers opt to do a year or two in rural places as it gives them a plus point on their CV to have worked rural. 

Research carefully where you are considering going and be prepared that there are far more teachers than there are jobs in the popular cities/towns/areas. If you have a language that could help (Japanese and German are two that spring to mind) or another skill set that would add to the CV. 

Thanks for your post,

it’s an SEND teacher i’d be wanting to go over as, which is on the list I’m just unsure if my qualifications would enable me to do so :-/ 

The assessment site states 45 days observed teaching in a school. I have 120 days observed through my PGCE, but my masters in SEND doesn’t give me any observed lessons. When I did my PGCE there was a focus on SEND and a placement was in a special school however, deffo not 45 days worth. It’s frustrating to say the least :-/

Yes, for AITSL, the teaching qualification must include a minimum of 45 days supervised placement in a school setting with pupils of the specified age range of the category. e.g. primary being ages 5 to 12.

What's more, the university must provide a letter confirming that the applicant undertook the above - if these details cannot be provided then AITSL will reject the application. They're uncompromising about this.

Regards,

Richard