Kindergarten in Victoria

paulc1

Hi all,

This is my first post in this page and sorry if this has been asked before. We are hoping to move Melbourne this year with my 3 year old son. He should have been starting reception in england this year but he will be too young to start in melbourne. Due to the age cut off he wont start till 2020 now. Do people find that they're kids development was slowed down at all by this later start or did they learn and progress fine in Kindergarten? 

Kids I know who have moved over st a similar age have been just fine. Don’t forget he’ll be with kids his own age and will progress with them as he grows. 

Dont forget, kids learn through play and self discovery as this younger age. They don’t slow down. It’s not all about the set pieces in a classroom at this age. We’ve become accustomed to kids starting school at 4 in the UK. It’s a whole new system in Aus. If you plan to migrate, embrace it and don’t stress these things.

Kids in some Scandinavian countries don’t start their formal education till aged 7.

Personally, I like they have a later school start age here. Think it’s much better all round.

Yeah, don’t sweat it. He will continue to develop and march alongside his age peers. Any early learning deficit is only going to be an issue if he returns to U.K. As it is, Australia is a foreign country with different expectations (and several different education systems) not Britain with sunshine.  

On 1/9/2018 at 06:09, paulc1 said:

Thanks for the reply guys. Thats fine then. I thinks its just because he was so looking forward to going to school at the end of the year but now i think he is more looking forward to Australia than that so he will be fine :D

It'll all be new to him and he'll make friends at his local kindy/nursery and have those till he starts school. And hopefully as parents you can get to know other families too. Those friendship networks can be a good thing to encourage for all of you. 

And hopefully some of them will be going to the same primary school as him then too. Unless of course you opt to do the nursery days nearer to a workplace than home. Personally, I'm a fan of local to home to make local friends etc. Some of the kids in my son's class have known each other since they were 3 and are going through primary together also. Y5 coming up this month for them so 6 years of school and 1.5 ish at nursery.