Visa Application Queries

Vicky87

Hi All

My husband and I have decided to start the ball rolling to obtain a 189 visa but we're unsure where/ when to start the process and hoping you all can help with a few queries:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, good migration agent? I've had a quote for £1,800 - is this about the going rate?
Are visa agents able to help with where to go in terms of where the best job prospects are?
I have looked at skillselect and this seems relatively straight forward, is it the application for the actual visa that is more complicated?
I understand the English tests are valid for two years, is that two year to obtain a visa or two years to enter Oz? Hope that makes sense...

We have been discussing whether or not to make the move for years, my biggest fear is not making any friends..  Have people found this is ok once arriving?

Thanks
Vicky

Any of the agents who post on here would be a good starting point 

@Raul Senise @Alan Collett @wrussell @Richard Gregan

Re making friends, can be tough going, can be pretty straightforward. Much depends on you, how much you are prepared to put yourself out there, where you may work, if you have kids in younger years school or older. Also if you are quiet and struggle with friendships where you are now, chances are it’s not going to get easier in Aus.

Also I think if you are pretty self reliant and resilient and used to getting on with things without needing to discuss every detail with your besties it makes a big difference IYKWIM. 

Agents generally aren't there to give guidance on job prospects. That is something the forum can assist with though. But you need to do your own research. 

If you are a UK passport holder the English test is only for points for the visa. 

The areas where agents are very useful is making sure you don't make an error or over claim or under claim points and that you get a positive skills assessment. For example, over claim a point and it is a refusal and potentially even a ban from reapplying - also expensive as it is loss of fees. At the other end, not claiming all the points can mean never getting an invite (at the moment no one with less than 65 points are being invited). 

Hi, I’m now at the end of my application process and I sit here waiting for a grant. I would recommend hiring a migration agent, mine have been absolutely brilliant and helped with so much, so for me it’s worth the fee....not sure I can mention them publicly on here so I won’t (unless instructed otherwise).
It’s a tough old road, gathering evidence, doing English test and skills assessments but it’s all worth it when that application is submitted!
If it’s what you want, go for it!

All the best

fab thanks all, will check out those agents.. I am all for using one, but as a quantity surveyor I like to get value for money!!

I've started doing some research and will continue, just wondered whether an aussie agent might have some on the ground insight.. On the other hand I guess a lot can happen within 12 months that it could take to get a visa!

• Like 1