Onshore Visas

5Whys

Hi - I am new to the site but I have been going through the posts in general and one thing I’ve noticed is that there is some people who get a little annoyed if someone is applying for a visa onshore. Is there a reason why? This annoyance seems to be aimed more towards the parent visas. It just seems strange that people get annoyed when there is the option to apply onshore.

Thoughts.

Cheers - 5

Not sure, but it may be that people have come on tourist visa's with the intent of applying for an onshore visa when they arrive - a loop hole in the system perhaps and that they're not genuine tourists?

Yeh! But we do people get annoyed? Surely, if someone has found a loop hole good luck to them?

Or am I missing something?

Maybe because it's fraud?

Really? But the system allows people to apply onshore. I haven’t really looked at the parent visas so there maybe a condition attached. Who knows it’s all a minefield and great money earner for the government!

Just now, 5Whys said:

Really? But the system allows people to apply onshore. I haven’t really looked at the parent visas so there maybe a condition attached. Who knows it’s all a minefield and great money earner for the government!

If you apply for a tourist visa without any intention of being a tourist then technically it's fraud and you've no intention of being a genuine tourist or using the visa for what it's for.  I'm only making assumptions for peoples reasons for being annoyed.  Are you applying for a visa yourself - and welcome to the forum by the way.

2 minutes ago, ali said:

Maybe because it's fraud?

And then the usual “Oh but we’ve made such a good life here and we’ve nothing to go back to” sob stories when they’re deemed ineligible for whatever reason. Basing a move on a lie is not appreciated by anyone.

2 minutes ago, 5Whys said:

The onshore applications were intended for folk who were in Australia legitimately on a visa that might have seen them there for some time doing something productive. The government should just slap a No Further Stay on all transient visas and that’d close the loophole. The parent visa should have been closed years ago and the government tried but the bleeding hearts got in the way. There are perfectly open and legitimate ways of arriving on the right visa without lying to DHA about your intentions.

If you apply for a tourist visa without any intention of being a tourist then technically it's fraud and you've no intention of being a genuine tourist or using the visa for what it's for.  I'm only making assumptions for peoples reasons for being annoyed.  Are you applying for a visa yourself - and welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks for the welcome.

I see what your saying. I suppose there are those that come and decide they like it so much that they’ll stay.

I am not applying as I’m already here but just found this forum.

And then the usual “Oh but we’ve made such a good life here and we’ve nothing to go back to” sob stories when they’re deemed ineligible for whatever reason. Basing a move on a lie is not appreciated by anyone.

I suppose that is a risk they take. You would expect them to look into the visa properly though!

2 minutes ago, 5Whys said:

I suppose that is a risk they take. You would expect them to look into the visa properly though!

You would think so, wouldn’t you? But so many are elderly and they and their families play the sob stories for all they are worth. Every single one of them would have been fine if they’d got their CPV, like most do, before they tried to do it on the cheap.

You would think so, wouldn’t you? But so many are elderly and they and their families play the sob stories for all they are worth. Every single one of them would have been fine if they’d got their CPV, like most do, before they tried to do it on the cheap.

CPV? Is that the Contribution Parent Visa? Oh and what’s DHA.

I take it you aren’t impressed with the parent onshore visas...lol

At the end of the day if there’s a loophole people will use it. But you’d expect them look into it properly before going down that road.

1 hour ago, 5Whys said:

CPV? Is that the Contribution Parent Visa? Oh and what’s DHA.

I take it you aren’t impressed with the parent onshore visas...lol

At the end of the day if there’s a loophole people will use it. But you’d expect them look into it properly before going down that road.

CPV = Contributory Parent Visa

DHA - new name for DIBP (stands for Department of Home Affairs)