city and guilds Australian equivalent

zak terry

hello,

I am hoping that someone will be able to advise me on immigrating to Australia. My profession is an electron beam and TIG welding operative and i am undergoing my city and guilds in all four main manual welding processes( oxy-acetylene, MIG, TIG and ARC). Once qualified I want to immigrate to Australia. Is these qualifications enough with my year to two years experience to gain sponsorship and is city and guilds qualifications recognised in Australia? Any advise on doting the i's and crossing the t's to insure I am prepared for the formalities of gaining sponsorship I would be very grateful for.

Many thanks 

zak 

Sponsorship is not the way to citizenship as generally sponsorship is only a temp visa. You need to look at permanent visas - only the holder of a permanent visa can apply for citizenship - after you have been a permanent resident for four years. 

You need to get your C&G and then get 3-4 years experience. 

Hi Zak,

Im pretty sure a city and guilds is not recognised mate unfortunately BUT getting an ASME 9 code IS. The City and Guilds will help in you Skills Assessment as evidence, to gain this you'll need to 'exchange' 4 years experience for a AFQ Level 3- 1st Class Welder, Metal Fabricator etc. I had an apprentice doing the same course.  

calNgary is spot on, you claim points after a qualification. For instance if you worked for 10 years, you would only claim 6 years as you would have used 4 for your skills assessment.

My suggestion would be to go down the 189 Skilled Independent or 190 Skilled State Sponsorship route. As VERYSTORMY says, 457 employer sponsored is only temporary.

Speak to a migration agent mate and give yourself plenty time. 

Good luck