aged parent visa

Hi there, we're after some advice about the aged parent visa. we have read everything on the government visa page and understand about the assurance of support and everything else, but we may have a problem or two and could do with some advice. My wife's mother has recently lost her husband and wants to move to Australia to be close to her daughter. She is a British citizen but has lived in Asia for the last 20 years, would this effect the reciprocal agreement for healthcare between here and the UK ? Our main problem is that i work casual part time and my wife doesn't work, we live in a small rental property and do get rental assistance along with other centrelink payments. Now that her mother is here we will have to get a bigger house and need rental assistance even more then. My question is will the fact that we need help with rent and dentist and other things effect her visa application. Part of the conditions of this visa says we have to provide a home assurance of support and also financial assistance, how can we do this if we need government help to get by ourselves ? Any help of comments would be great.

42 minutes ago, 0308 said:

Hi there, we're after some advice about the aged parent visa. we have read everything on the government visa page and understand about the assurance of support and everything else, but we may have a problem or two and could do with some advice. My wife's mother has recently lost her husband and wants to move to Australia to be close to her daughter. She is a British citizen but has lived in Asia for the last 20 years, would this effect the reciprocal agreement for healthcare between here and the UK ? Our main problem is that i work casual part time and my wife doesn't work, we live in a small rental property and do get rental assistance along with other centrelink payments. Now that her mother is here we will have to get a bigger house and need rental assistance even more then. My question is will the fact that we need help with rent and dentist and other things effect her visa application. Part of the conditions of this visa says we have to provide a home assurance of support and also financial assistance, how can we do this if we need government help to get by ourselves ? Any help of comments would be great.

This sounds like a high risk scenario to me.

What will happen if your mother in law needs support due to being infirm or unable to look after herself?

There is likely to be little or no Centrelink support available for her, and you are already claiming from Centrelink.

Exercise care - for your mother in law's sake, as well as your own.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

I believe that technically she wouldn’t be eligible for the reciprocal Medicare support - which doesn’t cover everything but only necessary medical cover because it is Residents of Britain, not British citizenship which grants the reciprocity.

She would be better waiting for a CPV in her home and then coming over with full PR rights. As it is, she could easily end up being one of those bleeding heart stories in the Guardian as they deport her.

40 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I believe that technically she wouldn’t be eligible for the reciprocal Medicare support - which doesn’t cover everything but only necessary medical cover because it is Residents of Britain, not British citizenship which grants the reciprocity.

She would be better waiting for a CPV in her home and then coming over with full PR rights. As it is, she could easily end up being one of those bleeding heart stories in the Guardian as they deport her.

Hi Quoll thanks for you input i'm thinking the same regarding the medicare. She is already in Australia as she was told to apply from here rather than in asia. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

This sounds like a high risk scenario to me.

What will happen if your mother in law needs support due to being infirm or unable to look after herself?

There is likely to be little or no Centrelink support available for her, and you are already claiming from Centrelink.

Exercise care - for your mother in law's sake, as well as your own.

Best regards.

Hi Alan thanks for your input, i'm not confident she is in a very good position either. 

2 hours ago, 0308 said:

Sounds fraught with danger, partly as it involves relying on benefits!. If you cannot even support yourselves financially, and even have to get help to pay the rent, how are you going to support an extra person in the household?  Even ignoring the medical issue, what about food, clothing, basic living expenses. The Australian tax-payer is already partially supporting you and your wife, surely you don"t expect them to take on supporting your mother-in-law as well?

• Like 3

She won't get health cover as she's not resident in the uk.  It sounds like neither you or the mother in law can afford for her to be there. You surely can't expect a bigger rental paid by the state just because she's turned up? Sounds like you can't support her and if she can't support herself then she/you surely don't think everyone else should do you? Sounds harsh but from what you've posted it's not an option. 

• Like 2